It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:39 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Runnable on Linux
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:28 pm 

As I am removing the Windows partition from my system, I would like to run Myst Online (when it is available again) on my Linux system (with Ubuntu 8.04 and I have WINE installed).

As far as I know there are three possibilities for this to work:

1) Install a virtual machine running windows on it
2) Make it compatible with WINE
3) Make a Linux native executable

I am almost certain that the third choice is going to not be as appealing to the developers as the first choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:56 pm 

There has been some success with running Uru in linux via Wine in the past, I don't know if any changes are going to crop up with the MORE version.

Also with the recent release of Wine 1, they seemed to break more things than they fixed (In true wine style ;) ). However I'm sure that this will change in the future.

Forget about running Uru in a virtual machine, there is no VM enviroment at the moment the will allow 3D games to run.

Finally aswell, a Linux client for Uru would be greatfully welcome but again I would'nt hold your breath for it, there has been little intrest in game developers writing games for linux recently. The last major developer to try linux, blizzard, dropped the client they had before world of warcraft went gold.

Personally I would keep windows around at least on a small 10Gb partition designed just to run Uru.

Hope this helps you.

Post subject: Re:Runnable on Linux
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:29 pm 

I also, would like to see an Uru linux client available. Cyan could port Uru to Linux, or a group of volunteers could port and maintain a linux client.

But seriously, if Cyan does make and distribute a Linux client, think of the publicity that would attract.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:19 pm 

It would also bring more people to the cavern through free advertising if they posted a demo on Ubuntu's "Add/Remove..." system.

(Application - Add/Remove...)

Think this is a great idea, they would only need to tweak the OS X code a bit since Linux and OS X are both UNiX based.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:42 pm 

Well. there is ..eh.. was ...eh... should be - whatever - a mac client for MOUL. Don't know if it was/is (this is making me dizzy) ready but it should be quite easily portable from FreeBSD-based MacOSX to linux. These systems are quite equal. Lots of the supporting libraries are basically the same, like opengl, xorg, gtk and these sort of things. At least, it should be easier than to port a Windoze client to MacOSX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:27 pm 

sbernstein wrote:
Well. there is ..eh.. was ...eh... should be - whatever - a mac client for MOUL. Don't know if it was/is (this is making me dizzy) ready but it should be quite easily portable from FreeBSD-based MacOSX to linux. These systems are quite equal. Lots of the supporting libraries are basically the same, like opengl, xorg, gtk and these sort of things. At least, it should be easier than to port a Windoze client to MacOSX.

Thats what I just said, see the post above yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

sbernstein wrote:
Lots of the supporting libraries are basically the same, like opengl, xorg, gtk and these sort of things. At least, it should be easier than to port a Windoze client to MacOSX.

Keep in mind that they didn't port (in the usual sense) the Windows client to Mac OS X. It was the original Windows client that ran within Cider (based on WINE) on Mac OS X. This likely required some adaptations, but no complete port to the Mac OS X APIs.

(By the way, Mac OS X does not use X.org or GTK (by default, though it can if you want). It has its own graphics technology, called Quartz.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:26 pm 

Christian Walther wrote:
(By the way, Mac OS X does not use X.org or GTK (by default, though it can if you want). It has its own graphics technology, called Quartz.)

I knew it had its own, but I didn't know what it was called.

Quartz? That's a strange name for a GUI.

The thing keeping the time* is also the thing displaying the time**!

*as in Quartz crystal (used in electronic devices for counting time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz )

** as in Quartz GUI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yup, linux client would be nice ;)

Or at least, ensuring that wine and uru goes along nicely. POST don't :(

Quote:
The last major developer to try linux, blizzard, dropped the client they had before world of warcraft went gold.

they did ? one point to them for tying though.

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:28 am 

One more vote here for a Linux / Wine client. From what i read above, it does not seem undoable.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]