It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Grasping At Straws?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:41 am 

BAD wrote:
I know you think your being realistic, but your actually being pessimistic.

Really? is that was I was thinking or trying to be? Thanks for letting me know. :roll:

Quote:
As a realist, I know this is Cyan's last ditch effort to keep Uru going, but I do not share your jaded view that not much is going to happen with Uru when it is open sourced. I believe that whatever happens, happens.

Hmm, so your a realist and I'm jaded, got it. But evidently being a realist you didn't realize I said the same thing in my post and I quote " It is for me the rock bottom last train stop of the Myst Online idea. One last, and seem desperate attempt, to keep the idea afloat in some fashion." So please explain to me how this is different from what you just said above about it being Cyan's last effort? Because the jaded person in me is apparently blind as well.

Quote:
I know of at least a couple dozen people with a lot of skill who are going to work on Open Source Uru as soon as it is released. Perhaps that keeps me thinking more positively? Who knows.

Swell! Hip hip hooray! But the realist in mean, oops I mean the jaded person inside wonders how long that will last?

Quote:
So in the end, your not wrong, but your not exactly right either. Unless you can see the future, I would try to keep a positive outlook. If things take a turn for the worst at least Cyan made an effort to save what little of Uru was left for them to give.

Right, OK so I am not positive, I am wrong or just not entirely right and jaded. gotcha. anything else? I mean would you like to throw in a bit a bout my mum because I used a period in the wrong place, thus clearly indicating that I hate her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:46 am 

Everyone has concerns. I overcome mine by contributing as I can. Thus far I have not been involved in a lot of the more technical work that dedicated members of the Writers have put into understanding how Uru works. I'm not good at decoding strange file formats.

But I am a software engineer, and I'm excited at the opportunity to look at the code - the real code, not reverse engineered code - of the Myst Online server and client. I'm excited that there will be opportunities to help out with porting the client to Linux, opportunities to look at the KI and perhaps implement some of StarLion's suggested changes (custom groups would be nice), and of course, opportunities to resolve bugs and improve performance.

Digging into the technicals isn't for everyone, but everyone else in this community still has a way to contribute in his or her own way, too. Each of the guilds brings something to the community. There are guilds as yet unformed that may be of help as well... and if you just don't feel comfortable working with a group, you're still free to be creative and work on your own ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:49 am 

rygynjupiter wrote:
Quote:
I know of at least a couple dozen people with a lot of skill who are going to work on Open Source Uru as soon as it is released. Perhaps that keeps me thinking more positively? Who knows.

Swell! Hip hip hooray! But the realist in mean, oops I mean the jaded person inside wonders how long that will last?

It's been almost 5 years of hacking so far... I don't see myself or many of the others going away any time soon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:55 am 

Paradox wrote:
rygynjupiter wrote:
Quote:

It's been almost 5 years of hacking so far... I don't see myself or many of the others going away any time soon.

sorry, you ran into my sarcasm at the other poster.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2