It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:57 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:06 pm 

GoMa and TMP friends will already know about this, but here's a summary of a new Uru-friendly development in SL.

The main threads are on the GoMa forum here: http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/Forum ... .php?f=133

Quote:
20 May 2009
You might have noticed I've not been posting much in the last few days. The reason is that I've been busy elsewhere -- guild duties, none the less.

As part of GoMa's mission 'To Protect and Serve the Community, throughout the Cavern and Ages', I've been working with others to set up an outpost for the guild in another of the worlds to which explorers have dispersed -- much as we did in There over a year ago.

Just a few weeks ago, a new island chain was discovered in the far north of this other world. The land seems stable enough, though there have been recent reports of minor earth tremors.

The islands' inhabitants are friendly and helpful. Though the community seems caught in a time warp (Victorian era, I would say), some of the technology is intriguing and will repay further investigation.

On the main island is a village of sorts, with cottages reminiscent of those in Ireland, a pub, a village square, and a large building whose use I have been able to secure for GoMa.

What intrigues me most, though, is the island chain's name: Devokan -- the D'ni word for 'hope'. Is that just a coincidence? Or is there some deeper link?

Things are happening here -- a story is unfolding. If you'd like to visit the area and see it for yourself, here's the SL url:
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Devokan/124/143/23

Some photos of the area, taken in the early morning light:

Devokan village square, showing the inn at the back, and the chapel to the right
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
View across to Oddenfen Island (the ship can be sailed round the islands)
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
GoMa building from the south
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Last edited by Dot on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:38 pm 

I was hoping for pictures, thanks.

Is Jameson keeping a log or filing reports that we can find?

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:52 pm 

Most of the news so far is available via threads on the GoMa forum.

Some of my own reports are on the first-floor imager in the GoMa building -- but you will need to take care. Hard hats are advisable, as you'll see when you visit.

Journals are a work in progress. They will be there eventually (hopefully in the next week or so).

In the meantime, see what you can find. Stories are not told just by words.

If you want to get in touch with any of us, leave a note on the notice board in the village square.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:13 pm 

Some friends and I found our way to Devokan and had fun exploring. There are bridges that take you to somewhere up in the sky. There are boats to sail around in, and you can take friends with you. It's also quite pretty there, with trees and interesting things to find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:08 am 

A lot has been happening over the last couple of weeks.

First, tremors have continued. Damage to the GoMa building is now quite extensive. Some supporting pillars have collapsed, as well as aerial walkways and a chunk of concrete. Taking Lightkeeper's advice, I have moved out of the building and set up a base in Black Swan Cottage. You can use my MacBook there to access the internet and keep up with developments -- fire it up by touching the keyboard.

We've welcomed a new resident to the village: Wendall Kristin -- he has made his home on one of the sky islands, and is already having an impact on events. His journal is here: http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/Forum ... 133&t=1431

One very serious incident took place over the weekend. To quote from Wendall's journal:
Quote:
21 June 2009
The day hasn't even really begun and I'm already writing. Disaster! These tremors. They are strong this time. Literally pushing out struts of lands onto buildings. They have pushed up land to the entrance to my area. Blocking me off. It's weird. I don't understand it. However it's not the most troubling of circumstances. The fireflies. That I disturbed down below. They have a shocking resemblance to the ones of Eder Kemo, however one difference. They are underwater. Eder Kemo's hated water. These seem to live in it. However right before the tremors started they came out of the water and flew away. I don't know where they went to. However I found it ironic that they moved right before the tremor, as if they knew. Or they felt it before I did. I must find them. Perhaps it will shed some light on the situation.

A little later that day, Ametist Inkpen and Quinquifid Oddenfen joined in the search. Both are scientists in their own way -- one only has to think of the Uru Educational Ages Ametist is creating with Metabasalt, for example. However, disaster struck. To quote Wendall again:
Quote:
So we split up in search of the fireflies. Allowing Quin and Ametist to take the submersible and I to swim. I took the southside of the island near the village and found nothing. Made my way north where I met up with Ametist and Quin making their rounds. When I got to the Northeast corner and looked West I saw sharp edges of land shooting out from the ground. I quickly yelled for Quin and Ametist to come see. They saw them and flew off quicker than lightning. I flew over to them and dove under the water. And there on the west side of these sharp land spikes were some fireflies. We had found them. Right by the Cave of Books. Finally we could get some answers, I thought. So I was standing by the fireflies in the water and Quin accidently bumped me with the submersible. And I fell. Into a crevice deep beneath the water where there were even more fireflies. I could not stay down there long for the water pressure was too great. I swam back to the surface as Quin and Ametist went down the hole in the sub. Quin exclaimed that he saw a book and quickly brought the submersible back up to dry land.

We talked about it and Quin said he will put on his diving equipment. He did and went diving into the crevice. He dug and he dug I could only see a cloud of dust in the water from my point of view. But when the cloud settled. All that remained was the book Quin had said he seen. Quin disappeared. He's gone. We searched the whole island. Then in our time of need Dot showed up. And she pointed out more places for us to look for him. His blimp in the sky......nothing. He wasn't anywhere.

Ametist questioned if the book was a linking book. It was a possibility. However I thought it best not to see. We don't know where it goes. We don't know what it does. I didn't feel it safe to willingly just see what happens. That isn't how things are handled. Dot agreed. Ametist saw the logic behind my reasoning. I said that I would lock the book away. I will create a lockhouse that only few could enter with a password. We will discuss what to do with the book when Paislee returns. Hopefully we will see some sign from Quin then.

No one has seen Quin for the past few days. Wendall has made the lockhouse as he promised.

We're hoping the wider community might help in this search for Quin. Lightkeeper has already expressed his determination:
Quote:
I went out and did a dive in the area and have to admit I could find nothing, not even his dive gear. That does not deter my determination from touching the linking panel and following his journey. I beseech the remaining two of the Trio [Dot and Paislee] to allow me to follow after Mr. Oddenfen wherever that may be. I quite grew to like the fellow in the short time I knew him and wish to help him in anyway I might. Mr. Kristen should know I am looking into hiring a super lock breaker to break into his locked room housing the linking book. I am determined!

I went back there early this morning to try to think what to do. It is such a beautiful place...

[OOC: If you would like a tour of Devokan, do ask any of us there. I am usually around during the UK evenings, Wendall covers US Central evenings. Of course, the place is open for solo or group exploration at all times (SL 'weather' permitting ;) ). There is a linking book to Devokan in an alcove in the Mall in Eder d'Uru -- look for the GoMa symbol on the wall. A puzzle journey is being developed; please im Wendall Kristin beforehand if you would like to take part in the quest so he can set things up for you.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:09 pm 

WOW thats...................Wow

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:48 pm 

Some of the better-looking pictures of SL I've seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:56 pm 

Calam wrote:
Some of the better-looking pictures of SL I've seen.

Yeah, did they replace the engine at some point or something? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:29 pm 

SL Graphics are a odd mix of several things. They are constantly changing. A few months back they added a thing called Windlight. This allows one to adjust the world to look how they want it to look. One can add more clouds, change the sky color, change water color, reflectivity, haz… on and on. Some of the images I captured of Riven show how Windlight can affect appearance. The beach house is a good example of changed Windlight settings.

They are adding new shadows. Right now shadows really pull down the frame rate. But they do make from some nice photos.

The real difference in appearance between Uru and SL is in the builders ability to texture things. Both have limits and work-a-rounds. If you notice new age builders work for Uru and compare it to new builders for SL... you see many similarities in quality. I think the mid-range builders in SL do a better job. The top-end builders do a way better job in Uru.

Here are a few more pictures of Myst-Uru Style Devokan. I was there today and many things have changed. There are several homes/places for rent. It is a fun place to sail and the sail boat is well animated for SL, which is not known for good vehicle animation.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:10 am 

Quinquifid is still missing. Lightkeeper managed to persuade Wendall to let him use the linking book, which is back under lock and key. This is how Wendall reported the expedition:
Wendall wrote:
It was time we got things rolling. If Quin was hurt or starving or something he wouldn't have much time left. I knew Light was capable of withstanding the elements. Surviving the unknown. So I decided to let him go through, after much thought and conversing with others. I brought him to the lockhouse, opened it, and watched him vanish. Before he left I commended him on his bravery and told him that I wish he did not linger too long, for I feared for his safety. He was gone for sometime but gave me disheartening news upon his return. All he found on the other side was a land and Quin's utility belt. He searched crude structures, and no Quin. He reported that the weather varied during the day and that the temperature was moderate, and the air crisp and fresh. But no Quin. Still stuck in the same spot. Quin is still missing.

So: We know now that Quin definitely reached as far as that land, though the fact he no longer has his toolbelt IS a concern -- I've never seen him without it, other than on formal occasions. It was quite upsetting to peer through the window of his cottage yesterday evening and see the belt hanging over the back of his chair. That place feels so cheerless and depressing without his presence there.
[spoiler=The scene at Oddenfen Cottage]Image[/spoiler]
Anyway, we're planning to mount a search party with friends from The Meeting Place. Rather than having their usual Sunday meet at Uru Island in There, they will be coming across to Devokan Village Square to join with us at 8 pm UK time on Sunday 28 June 2009. If anyone would like to join us, use this TP link to the square.

We will probably spend a little time organising things there -- for one thing, I will need to make sure everyone has access to the Uru Guild of Maintainers group intercom so we can all keep in touch no matter what. To join the guild in SL, touch the wall plaque on Black Swan Cottage in Devokan (TP link) or in the mall in Eder D'Uru and follow the instructions that appear.

In the meantime, it might just be possible to gain access to the linking book through working out the lockhouse door code...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:50 pm 

Sorry for the lack of updates -- the last few days have been particularly hectic, what with one thing or another.

The TMP search party was successful in solving first the lockhouse door code (Conductor did us proud), and then in finding Quinquifid.

Photos of the search party in action are here.

Anyway, Quin's return brings June's events to a close.

By the way, the Lockhouse Code Quest will remain in place for the next couple of weeks. It's a pleasant way to explore some of Devokan's areas. Please feel free to visit us in Devokan and take up the challenge. Here's the first clue.

[Apologies for double post]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:11 am 

Shorah b'shemtee!

As you may have heard, for the past week or so I have been exploring the land I linked to through a book found beneath the sea on the north west of Devokan.

It seems people were somewhat concerned about my disappearance. I don't know why they should be. That is one of the things I do -- explore, study, attempt to understand.

Anyway, now I am back home there are the usual domestic duties to attend to, and I was glad to get a good night's sleep for once. (The bed in the hut I was using as temporary accommodation during the past week proved to be somewhat uncomfortable.)

This morning, when I awoke, I looked across from the airship's balcony towards the GoMa HQ, and was alarmed to see what had happened overnight. I quickly got out the submersible and flew over to check more closely.
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
I'd run out of milk the previous night, so thought to combine a trip to Dot's cottage to ask if she knew anything and, by the way, did she have any milk to spare?...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
She wasn't there. Her laptop showed she was away. More disturbingly, the linking book I had given her was no longer in place.

I searched, and eventually found ...
[spoiler]Image
... the linking book and Dot's Book of Uru Memories had been thrown on the fire.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:02 pm 

My apologies for not keeping this journal as up to date as I had intended. The events of the past week or so have proved a little upsetting.

First, Lightkeeper added his report on 4 July to Quinquifid's discovery.
Quote:
I am getting nervous as I often find the door to my house open when I return in-world. I have no clue who is entering my house when I am away. I am looking into greater security measures. It is somewhat tough as I rent the house and don't own it outright. Perhaps I need to look into that. I don't know.

I reported the next day...
Dot wrote:
I met up with Lightkeeper yesterday. He took me for a sail in his new yacht -- a pleasant, relaxed interlude from all the current awfulnesses.

We sailed all round the islands, enjoying the scenery, putting the world to rights, wondering what Nyn and Wendall and Paislee were dreaming up in the building area, ...

At the north-west of Devokan, we had to turn back. Part of the GoMa building had collapsed into the waterway that divides the village from the other main landmass, blocking our route.

So we headed back to land at Lightkeeper's Cottage, meeting up with a very excited Wendall -- he had got part of his windmill to work!

Overnight, I was thinking some more about the GoMa building. Should we rebuild it? Is there a need for it? I really don't know. One thing I did do: First thing this morning I set to work removing the concrete blocks and chunks of metal from the waterway to clear a passage through.

Like Lightkeeper, I too have an uneasy feeling. Why was the linking book thrown in the fire? Is it something to do with Erik's report here? And why would someone try to destroy a happy memento of Uru?

In the event I spent much of the rest of the week clearing away the rubble from the collapsed GoMa building. All that is left now is a large crater, forming a natural harbour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:53 am 

Shorah b'shemtee!

It was just as well that Dot cleared away the rubble from the north-west, for over the weekend a tall ship sailed in to dock at Devokan in the area once occupied by that proud GoMa building. The ship's owners, Artemesia and Taelos, claim to be pirates, but they seem friendly enough.

In the meantime, I have set in place a new sky island for Dot (those floating rocks from Spire are extremely useful). Hopefully that will prove more secure than the cottage she was using before

I have been busy arranging my own pied a terre at the Mechanix Arms, Port Babbage, at the heart of the great city of New Babbage. The landlady, a Miss Bergamasco, is an intriguing character. When I first met her to agree terms, she was dressed somewhat eccentrically for the hunt.

The rooms, sadly, are typical of rented accommodation -- peeling, faded wallpaper, cracks in the walls, rotten floorboards -- several times on linking in I have fallen through the floor to the shop below.

I have taken to early morning perambulations around the port and its environs. On one occasion, down a narrow lane, I chanced upon the smoking remains of what I later learned were fighting robots.

On my return to my rooms, I heard: 'Hallo, Mr Oddenfen!' It was my landlady, looking most demure in a long blue silk day gown, hailing me from her shop. 'Good day, Miss Bergamasco!'

'Have you heard the news?' No, I replied. 'The war is over!' Hmm. I hadn't even realised there was a war -- but I put two and two together and mentioned the robots I had seen. 'Ah, yes,' she said. 'The supercriminal Dr Obolensky who had taken over the city has been defeated, and the rightful Mayor is back in his place.'

Interesting, I thought. I will have to find out more. It certainly made sense of some of the posters I had seen around the city.

I have set up a teleport link to my rooms in New Babbage from the Devokan nexus, should any explorers like to see what else they can find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:41 am 

An OOC post for a change:

The lockhouse door quest in Discover Devokan is officially over. Kudos to Paislee, Wendall, Lightkeeper, Ametist and Quinquifid for their skill and enthusiasm in developing areas, items and puzzles for the quest, and for taking part in the story as it unfolded. It was great fun!

Thanks too to everyone who visited, who explored, who tried out the quest... We hope you'll visit us again soon!

Residents of Devokan village are now busy reshaping the landscape of Discover Devokan in preparation for the next theme: Inspired by Channelwood.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next