It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: How to save your KI pics
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:29 pm 

I'm not sure if this is the right place, it might be also the tech section. But anyway ..... As far as I can remember in the past you could save your images on your PC. Either they were put directly into a seperate folder, called KI Images, or you had to copy and paste them there. But so far I have not find a way to do it again. Is there anyone who can give me a few guidelines how to keep them so that my KI is not always full?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:39 pm 

Q'uatermass wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the right place, it might be also the tech section. But anyway ..... As far as I can remember in the past you could save your images on your PC. Either they were put directly into a seperate folder, called KI Images, or you had to copy and paste them there. But so far I have not find a way to do it again. Is there anyone who can give me a few guidelines how to keep them so that my KI is not always full?

Every image is saved to the "My Documents\Uru Live\KIimages" folder. The files aren't deleted if you delete the image from the KI. However, you can't restore images to the KI from files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
However, they are unviewable in their current state, so you'll need to convert them using a program like Irfanview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:05 pm 

For instance, you can convert many KI images to normal JPG images (or other formats) in one go with Photoshop Elements, menu File > Process Multiple Files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:47 pm 

If you don't have access to fancy graphics editing software, you can make a ki image into a normal jpeg by carefully removing the first four bytes of the KIimage file. You'll need a file editor that will load in a binary file, I use Linux, so I use Okteta hex editor, but with care, you can use Notepad in Windows.

Jpeg files usually start with a bye sequence (in hex) of FF D8 FF E0, which looks a bit like y0ya when displayed as ASCII characters, but with a couple of dots over each y and a grave accent over the a. If you examine a Ki image in Notepad or Okteta, you'll see that this sequence appears starting at the fifth byte in the file, ie after four bytes which have some significance to URU, but none to your photo display software, which is why they won't normally load the image. If you delete these four bytes, and save the result under a new filename (do NOT save over the original KIimage file! :wink: ) remember to end the filename with .jpeg. Now you can use this new file in any software that can handle a normal jpeg.

If this all sounds a bit technical, you'd probably better use photoshop elements recommended above or have someone else do it for you. 8)

MOUL:
CyclinGuy KI# 8385203
Skydiver CyclinGuy KI# 10298312

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:47 pm 

KI Image Fixer does the trick with minimum fuss.

Eyen waxen
3: 7)$]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:30 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
However, they are unviewable in their current state, so you'll need to convert them using a program like Irfanview.

I hadn't noticed that, mainly because IrfanView is my default image viewer.

Hmm; it appears that the first four bytes are the size of the image data (not including the extra four bytes) in little-endian format. I'm guessing that's how they're stored internally, and someone forgot to strip the size when writing the images to disk.

If you have Unix tools (e.g. from Cygwin or MSys), you can strip the prefix bytes with.
Code:
tail -c +5 KIimage0001.jpg > KIimage0001.fixed.jpg

Or if you have Python, this will fix every .jpg file in the directory which hasn't already been fixed:
Code:
import os
for name in os.listdir('.'):
    if not name.lower().endswith('.jpg'):
        continue
    f = open(name, 'rb')
    s = f.read()
    f.close()
    if s[0:4] == '\xff\xd8\xff\xe0':
        continue
    if s[4:8] != '\xff\xd8\xff\xe0':
        continue
    f = open(name, 'wb')
    f.write(s[4:])
    f.close()

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I'm guessing that's how they're stored internally, and someone forgot to strip the size when writing the images to disk.
It's a known bug. The KI pics share the format / routine with the avatar pics (that you take in your wardrobe) which needs the information.

(Remove the four bytes from those and the game hangs at startup).