It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:31 am 

Shorah!

Nice to be back! About a year ago I started to work on my own Age, including concept artwork (shown here), the story and puzzles and even music! Then URU got cancelled and I gave up the project. But I thought I'd finally share some of the artwork I did on my Age anyway. And who knows, maybe one day it'll become reality.

http://SolarShine.deviantart.com/art/Na ... 1-97072993
http://SolarShine.deviantart.com/art/Na ... 2-99881275
http://SolarShine.deviantart.com/art/Na ... -101497803

And here's the background music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZFbE6rauhA

Last edited by SolarShine on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:41 am 
Obduction Backer

That's really cool! Would love to visit that Age someday, and it also looks fun to create :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:45 am 

Those are really beautiful! You should definitely do some more concepts for that age. :)

"Life is not an easy matter... You cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness." -L. T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:53 am 

I'm a fan, the thing that draws me in the most is originality, being parallel to the Myst game-style yet not seeming to be taking ideas from it in the form of places, puzzles, people, events, etc. A hard thing to accomplish flawlessly and you're very close. I'd love to explore the intricacies of your world here in Na'yeleh some day, whether it be within a game-space or through online art and stories. Please continue with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:57 am 
Obduction Backer

This is great work SolarShine, very well done! I can definitely see Myst universe influences in the things like the bench and the viewer, and it certainly feels like places that would be in a Myst game, yet at the same time they are quite unique from all the worlds we have seen in the games. I would certainly love to see more of this world you have crafted, in whatever form that takes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:00 am 
Obduction Backer

Those drawings scream "Make an age out of me! PLEASE! I'm already like you're there.." :D

Really, amazing stuff. With all the work you have done already.. they want to have user ages, so you could well have a top-tier age out of that. Even if you can't model to make it past those I'm sure some of the age designers on Guild of Writers would love to have that as a base for a beautiful age. :D

MOULa KI: #00027582
Welcome back all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:07 am 

Favorated them all, awesome pics.

As of June 2013.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:49 am 

you know, it's funny... when it comes to Myst...
It's both hard and easy to create 'Ages' ... by that I mean, it's both fantasy and sci-fi... every Age is like a DiMethylTryptamine Hallucination after deep meditation... it has limits, but it does not have limits... it can be anything, but it must be something.

Spam Poison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:46 am 
Obduction Backer

Best fan made concept art I've seen for Myst to date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:42 am 

HypnoPants wrote:
It's both hard and easy to create 'Ages' ... by that I mean, it's both fantasy and sci-fi... every Age is like a DiMethylTryptamine Hallucination after deep meditation... it has limits, but it does not have limits... it can be anything, but it must be something.

Your convoluted explanations make me laugh. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:00 am 

HypnoPants wrote:

You can't catch the dragon :wink:

I agree, the Myst series allows a very, very, very wide range of creativity. The only guidelines are the most simple ones which anyone would apply without thinking (and of course in the context of fan ages, those certain boundaries marked by Cyan).

Hopefully once Cyan and the community get fan created content well integrated and smoothed out, we'll begin seeing many more interesting examples.

"Life is not an easy matter... You cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness." -L. T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:43 am 

Wow Solar! Your music and your art are amazing, they've really come along huge amounts these last few years. The concept art is so Myst-y but totally your own! I want to explore there, fiery abyss I would be happy just to have one of those on my wall. Also the music is lovely, also very atomospheric and would fit perfect in Uru. Can't wait to see more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:10 am 

Mekeretrig wrote:
HypnoPants wrote:

You can't catch the dragon :wink:

I agree, the Myst series allows a very, very, very wide range of creativity. The only guidelines are the most simple ones which anyone would apply without thinking (and of course in the context of fan ages, those certain boundaries marked by Cyan).

Hopefully once Cyan and the community get fan created content well integrated and smoothed out, we'll begin seeing many more interesting examples.

Here's one of the rules... nothing cute, fuzzy, or adorable :D

Spam Poison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow, man. fantastic! and the music is SO Uru.

Listening to the music and looking at those images... I can almost feel the wind in my face, hear the leaves moving gently and other increadible things...

I'd really love to visit that age!

and even see some large versions of those images if you have any ^^
EDIT: nevermind :roll: LOL

Last edited by mattiasdavis on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:11 am 
Obduction Backer

I just wanted to give my props for this image:

Wow, never has ANYONE so perfectly captured the classic Myst feel. It does not feel in any way derivative, nor does it look like anything Myst has shown us so far. This picture completely and utterly feels like a new Myst game, or a Myst III had Cyan continued after Riven.

Here there are slight touches of the three big Cyan myst titles. The trees give off the feeling of organic exploration and natural expression that was current in the early Uru/Mudpie days, while the doors hark back to that old, rustic style Riven offered. The grass and stones again show off a more "wild" aesthetic that Uru is known for, while the cross shape of the path and the organization of the trees in the doors symmetrically reminds me of both Riven and Myst in terms of geometrical layout.

The stone - bench in the middle is the jewel on the crown. It gives off a very D'ni aesthetic - slightly asian or arabic - but heavy looking and using stone in an interesting way. It reminds me of Riven but also not quite of anything else I've seen in the Myst series.

Finally the rocky sea is nice and original. I've been longing for a rocky seascape in Myst.

I honestly think this concept is the best thing I've seen since Riven or early Mudpie. This sorely beats anything Cyan's done since the first shutdown IMO.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next