It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:45 am 

This thread prompted me to download blender, I wish I could help with this somehow.
The work you did Lehm blows me away.
It would be amazing to be able to visit city in the "before the fall" state.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:30 am 
Obduction Backer

September 15

So its been 3 1/2 years. Figured it was time to dust this thing off. My original intent was to one day get it into MO so I was keeping the polygon count reasonable. For various reasons I'm not interested in that anymore. But I still really like the structure and realized I was now free to make it as detailed as I want. So I quadrupled the polygon count on the top half. I'm not certain what my end goal with this thing is now. For now I'm just having fun modelling it. Maybe one day I'll put it in an engine (sorry not plasma) to see what its like to walk around outside of it.

Post subject: Re: Guild Hall WIP
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:26 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Lehm,

Wow! Just wow!! Did I say WOW?!!

So pleased to see this lovely project stirring to life again! Many thanks for sharing the new render!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Welcome back, Lehm!

Great to see you here again, very happy to see your Guild Hall moving forward
- in whatever direction you choose to take it! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Wow, not sure how I missed this topic the first time, but the Guild Hall designs have always intrigued me and your model does them justice and more! Seeing this textured someday would be amazing, regardless of whether it's ever in-game. Keep it up!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:33 am 
Obduction Backer

I've been incredibly impressed with this project with each new posted rendering. This is no exception. Well done, sir! Well done!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:24 pm 

I only just saw this for the first time today and you have only increased the massive longing I have to be able to see and explore more of D'ni. I have always loved that Guild Hall design.

You've done a beautiful job with this, as everyone has already said. So glad you survived your housing concerns and that you've been able to work on this again. Please keep it going!

KI# 29337

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:16 am 

First time I've seen this.

You, my friend, have done an amazing thing.

I recognize that you are no longer interested in porting this magnificent model to Myst Online, however I would like to present the following facts that may or may not sway you in that direction...

1) Gehn Shard has successfully integrated 3 very beautiful fan Ages, two of which are D'ni locations that are exceptional and blend seamlessly with the rest of the visual aesthetic of the game. There's no reason your version of the Guild Hall could not be included, canonical or not.

2) From what I understand, the plugin source code was updated so that it can function with later versions of 3DS Max. If you talk to Hoikas on the GoW Forum, at the very least he should provide you with a method for editing the plugin to function with your version Max. I don't think they can redistribute it, but If not, giving the textured model to someone with a functional version of the plugin would at least allow them to port it to the game.

3) Given the reality that canonical issues are now less of a hindrance given point 1, if you feel you cannot finish the model without further concept art of the top plaza, and Cyan doesn't release that artwork, I'm certain that talented members of this community would be willing to make concept art that would convincingly incorporate the Guild Hall plaza into the surrounding environment. If necessary I can volunteer in that area, assuming you're actually interested in something like that.

4) Probably the most important point with respect to concerns of violating Cyan's 'canon'... While Cyan may have their own additional concept art for the Guild Hall, keep in mind that even for them, it is still concept art. Concept art is by definition subject to change and modification. It is conceptual. Given that you already have created a magnificent model based on an already very-thorough conceptual image, I see no reason to avoid further development out of fear of encroaching on Cyan's ideas for the Guild Hall.

Let's be realistic: they're not going to make the Guild Hall, ever. If it gets made in a way that can be ported to the online game, it will be made by people like you. So personally, I would rather see a beautiful, Cyan-faithful rendering of the Guild Hall that may not perfectly match their early conceptual designs, and see it in-game, than have it never exist at all.

I understand and appreciate when people hold Cyan's work in respect and are careful when offering to modify it in any way. It prevents people from attaching crap to Cyan's work. But in your case, your work is so exceptional that I think even Cyan themselves would have to acknowledge that it is faithful to their own vision. Given your work so far, I cannot see you "going wrong" with this project, especially since Cyan will no longer be adding content to the game anyway.

That said, I recognize what a huge undertaking this is, and I don't think anybody fully expects you to single-handedly build and port this thing yourself. If you need help, there are people that can help you.

I am not advocating starting a team-based Age-building project because those fail 99% of the time. But your work is so amazing that I think a lot of talented individuals would jump at the chance to help you complete it.

Just things to consider.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

I am having so many feels right now, SO MANY.

I'm imagining eating some hot D'ni street food and walking past the steps there, singing to myself.

Today was the first time I had seen this thread, here's hoping you can keep plugging away at this, it has made so many people's day!

KI:06847856

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Just going to sneak in and drop this right here...
Deep City

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Welcome back Lehm, and what a mighty and impressive one that is ... :P

Yeah, it's been three years already again since you've last delighted us with your passion and creativity, very interesting (it may also be that you've been here and I didn't realize that lol) ... :mrgreen:

Yeah, I've downloaded this gem and as I've said above, this is really very impressive and exciting to now being able to walk and jump along and through those halls and passageways etc. (don't be afraid to jump down, we can walk everywhere, though not up again, and even peek through some walls up the stairs) and up and down the stairs, and of course, I suppose we're all looking forward to and imagening this all soon to be exquisitely textured and decorated, and maybe we'll even be hearing our footsteps on shiny, elegant floors etc., e.g. how about sth similar to this ... :)

Great job, Lehm, and thanks for again sharing this amazing one step closer to 'the real thing' ... :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:46 pm 

:?: :shock: :o :) :D :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted:
MINE !

Lehm, you have no idea how badly I wanted to visit your version of the guild hall. After three years and no news whatsoever, I was very much afraid we'd never get to see the final version. I'm glad I was wrong.
Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Very impressive! Are there any further instructions on how to move around, etc.? I just used the arrow keys and WSAD keys to go forward and backward and the mouse to look around. I could not go up the stairs into the actual building, is that by current design?

Thanks Lehm for your hard and dedicated work!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks guys. Yeah it has been a little bit of time. For a little bit I had no time for personal projects. That changed a few months ago. I actually worked on a few other ideas that I had in my head first. But then I really wanted to work on an environment in the Unreal Engine and this was the obvious choice. I decided to release it as I worked on it, rather than waiting til the end. If I had waited til it was close to done it would never have been released. Unfortunately there will probably never been a 'complete' version of this. There's just too much for one person to accomplish in their spare time. There are already 4 dozen unique meshes ( the scene is already 400,000 polygons ). Most of the work for what I've shown was converting and scaling the meshes to something the Unreal Engine would like. Originally the upper section was mostly 1 mesh. I've broken it down into smaller pieces. The scene was originally in English units, I had to convert it to metric for the Unreal and then round the resulting vertices to the nearest 0.1 meter to make placement easier. The actual game mode is the standard Unreal FPS Template project with the items striped out that weren't needed like the gun. I then started importing the assets into that project.

Let's see if I can answer some questions.

janaba1: Yeah there's not a way to get back to the top yet. Haven't figured out 100% how that will happen as its not in the concepts, but I've got a few ideas. Some of the walls can been walked though as this was a quick import of the meshes and not all have collision yet. We'll have to see how far I get with the texturing... the priority now is to get the rest of the environment roughed in. Don't know if it will be shiny though... the concept shows it pretty beat up and that's the version I'm making.

Sirius: I always felt bad about abandoning it. I always wanted to release something for people to enjoy. That's why I decided to release the current version as-is rather than wait for it to look better.

gchaser: Yeah that's the only form of control currently. Its the default control scheme for the Unreal FPS Template. I left it alone except for slowing the character down. And yes you can't go inside the building... there's nothing in there anyway. There probably never will be. The surrounding area will be enough work as it is.

So what's next? Let's just say I figured out what I want to do for the surrounding government plaza. Let's just say my plan is to re-purpose other concept art the Cyan released for another area. I hope to have something soon to show on that front.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:26 pm 

Lehm wrote:
Just going to sneak in and drop this right here...
Deep City

This is a great piece of work. Kudos for sticking with it!

satelite du matin (French)
morgen satelite (German)
Image MS offline

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next