It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What do you think of this Group/ Storyline?
This is a Great Idea! Sign me up! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
This is a Terrible Idea! 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
It's a good idea, but I don't want to join 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
I like it but (add comment below) 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
I hate it but (add comment below) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Wait, is that a Squee with something shiny???!!! 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 18
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:01 am 

So I have a bit of time... I'm up really early before work and stuff... So I'd like to talk about a Guild /IC storyline I've been playing around with.

Phil Hendersen said the King is returning. Which king, none of us knows. What if there were some who saw the lawlessness of the Cavern and want to do something to stop it, so they form the King's Guard. They do this as a way to hold the fort until the King does return and order is put under his rule.

I was thinking 4 rules so far:

1. The King's Guard serves the King as long as the King's actions are in the Best interest of the People.If he fails to do so The Guard shall follow the other Rules until a new King is Pronounced.

2. The King's Guard will work along with, and insure the safety of the Guilds and any other organization as long as they do not seek to usurp the Authority of the King.

3. The King's Guard will Protect the People and the City at all costs

4. The King's Guard will only acts with violence if violence is first thrust upon them.

So it makes them a group not seeking to cause troubles, not stepping on anyones toes, Policing the Cavern. And it may interest those who like their fantasy a bit more save the Kingdom... So what do you think?

Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom

member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent

"I invented the term the Bevin Generation do I get a spot in Mystlore?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:41 pm 

I have a (maybe some) question about your idea. Particularily about rule #1.

Quote:
1. The King's Guard serves the King as long as the King's actions are in the Best interest of the People.If he fails to do so The Guard shall follow the other Rules until a new King is Pronounced.

Who's job would it be to decide if what the King was doing was in the best interest of the people or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Lynnutte wrote:
Who's job would it be to decide if what the King was doing was in the best interest of the people or not?

Perhaps figuring that out is part of what will make it an interesting storyline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:26 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
Lynnutte wrote:

Perhaps figuring that out is part of what will make it an interesting storyline.

That's partially my thought as well. Should this "King" ever arrive. He may at first act completely just, or completely like a loon. Both are easy to react to. But if the King acts just then slowly starts enacting harsh laws and taxes for the sake of the people forcing D'ni to become a Police State at some point, the heirarchy in the Gurad would have to decide "Is this necissary, or do I draw the line here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:27 pm 

Also on a side note I notice I've recieve 3 this is a terrible idea, would you care to explain why? No pressure though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:54 am 

I wasn't one of the 3, but I'll post some thoughts I had.
jadawin12 wrote:

D'ni hasn't been a kingdom for a long time and just because the Great King returns (if he does, I'm still not sure) doesn't mean D'ni will once again become a kingdom, or that another king would ever be pronounced.
jadawin12 wrote:
2. The King's Guard will work along with, and insure the safety of the Guilds and any other organization as long as they do not seek to usurp the Authority of the King.

How will the King's Guard protect anyone from the Bahro? I only ask, because at this point that is the only tangible threat in the cavern.
jadawin12 wrote:
...Policing the Cavern

You want to be very careful with that phrase. When people outside of the Guild of Maintainers suggested that we could or should "police the cavern", the community freaked out. Even though we had not suggested it or in anyway embraced such a function, we were labelled as "elitists" and any number of other insults. If you are talking about a strictly IC policing of the cavern, you might be ok; just be careful.

Having said that, I'm not necessarily against this idea. Just trying to help you prepare for the worst while hoping for the best. :D

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:32 am 

Frisky Badger wrote:
I wasn't one of the 3, but I'll post some thoughts I had.
jadawin12 wrote:

D'ni hasn't been a kingdom for a long time and just because the Great King returns (if he does, I'm still not sure) doesn't mean D'ni will once again become a kingdom, or that another king would ever be pronounced.

Oh I know, I am playing Devil's advocate to some degree doing this, all we know is Phil said the King was coming I figure an IC group supporting him might be fun whatever the outcome.

Frisky Badger wrote:
jadawin12 wrote:

How will the King's Guard protect anyone from the Bahro? I only ask, because at this point that is the only tangible threat in the cavern.

Well IC I would carry around a big shield and wear a cloak both of which would have snakes on them, and if there were Bad Bahro sightings I would run over there and hold up my shied to protect the innocent people scaring off the Bahro, It's not much... but it's better than everyone for themselves.

Frisky Badger wrote:
jadawin12 wrote:
...Policing the Cavern

You want to be very careful with that phrase. When people outside of the Guild of Maintainers suggested that we could or should "police the cavern", the community freaked out. Even though we had not suggested it or in anyway embraced such a function, we were labelled as "elitists" and any number of other insults. If you are talking about a strictly IC policing of the cavern, you might be ok; just be careful.

Yeah I should add in parethesis this is IC only... Thanks for the heads up.

Frisky Badger wrote:
Having said that, I'm not necessarily against this idea. Just trying to help you prepare for the worst while hoping for the best. :D

Thank you Badger your posts are always insightful. I figure this little thing could eather crash and burn or have some legs to it, it's worth a shot at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:26 am 
Obduction Backer

I put terrible idea but...

My "but" is that I like to see new ideas and will always try to encourage them!

Keep it up jadawin!
(but yes terrible idea! :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:37 am 

Thank you, I appreciate that you see I'm trying. Honestly if I wasn't creating the group, I wouldn't join it :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:13 pm 

So I tried to get the group going in IC on the stairs in Ae'gura... That was interesting... aside from being called a number of names and being told "I did not know the rules against roleplaying in public" The result at least got some conversations moving. Still have no one interested in joining (which I completely understand) But I'm going to keep working on this idea and others and maybe something good will come of it in the long run. As stated before it at least got some conversations going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:57 pm 

jadawin12 wrote:
being told "I did not know the rules against roleplaying in public"

...huh? :shock:

Simone - KI#1001138
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:00 am 

There are no rules, someone was basically saying that there were, and that doing this was 'forcing them to roleplay' it was quite frustrating... But on the other hand it is a learning experience and I like those. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:50 am 

In case anyone wants to know...
After the conversation I had yesterday with "The King's Guard" in The Guild of Peasants' and The King's Guard's Bevins, I decided to post something about it on my guild's website, here: www.GoPeasants.blogspot.com I wish you the very best of luck, and I certainly hope the Great King comes soon! :wink:

Shorah,
White Knight

Post subject: Shorah alle in here
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:33 pm 

:D Shorah All

It looks as if someone does not understand non-violence principle in Myst. :!:

Why have guards, and why be so much on their guard, against Bahro. :!:

What kind of society some want, they can just play another game with violence ect. if that is, what they want.

People with interests in security guards, violence, ect what do they do here in Myst.

It surprises me greatly. :!:

The Guild people, it is a group that helps others, rather than to fight, or keep other away, from something good society.

Just asking.:?:

But: Maybe I misunderstand what is written, but it works dramatically and very negative-

Large apologize if I have misunderstood something.

Shorah from Sha'nie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hm... I'm not inclined to say anything that an explorer is interested in or will bring activity to the Cavern is an irredeemably bad idea. But... there seem to be some holes in this suggestion.

For example:

Exactly what lawlessness is there in the Cavern, even IC? Are you going to play out both sides of that? Because it seems like IC, the explorers are a pretty calm bunch who don't really do any harm.

Your group seems really predicated on what will happen when a king comes, rather than the present moment in Cavern time. Introducing your own king would cause some major canon concerns, and it would be pretty difficult (to put it mildly) to get others on board. Whereas if you're expecting Cyan to do it, there's no way to know if they were even planning to, and even if they did plan to, it would be a long time before Cyan took that active of a role in shaping the story. You could potentially spend a lot of time waiting for something that isn't going to happen.

D'ni history had moved to a point where there was no longer a king even before The Fall.

Why would a D'ni king have any authority over us? We're not D'ni, and the D'ni have long moved on. Even if the D'ni would have accepted a king at this point, which I find very doubtful... why would we?

I think the main issue, though, is that your group is predicated on a really sweeping plot. The kind of plot that the Cavern is not currently really set up for. It would require a large number of people to accept your premise (that there's a king at all, which also contradicts established lore) and I'm not sure that's a way many people would want to play. I think it's better, for fan plots, to do something on a scale where the only people required to accept your version of what's going on are the people actually interested in playing. I mean, you can say there's a king... but without the consent of the rest of us, what exactly would he rule?

I don't mean to shoot you down, but I couldn't answer honestly without some constructive criticism. :)

The Narayani Collective

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next