It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pod ages & KI time
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:42 pm 

As some of you will be aware there is a fault with the KI time. I am in the UK & the pod age calendars no longer work for me since the KI started showing UK time. Can anyone help me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, lol, you could solve the puzzles! Presumably they're still consistent with Payiferen. We didn't always have calendars for it, you know. :)

But it was always a really viciously time-consuming puzzle and I don't recommend it--certainly I'm not going to go to that kind of trouble. The calendars are soooo much simpler. I'm not sure anyone's done the math, but it seems, with cavern time off by several time zones, that the portals should appear at their normal times, but exactly 7ish hours off what the calendars say.

Easiest is probably just to wait till Cyan resets the KI time zone, then everything should be back to normal.

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

you could either figure out the difference in the perdictor discrepency now that the ki time is off or you could solve the puzzle the old fashioned way, the mechanics of which ellude me... consult either the walkthrough in this forum or the guild of greeters .com website for hints, tips, or solutions on solving the pod age the way it was originally intended...

this just seems to be a new way of solving the puzzle now that we have to compensate.... think of it as new content so long as it lasts... lateral thinking has always been a major part of figuring out fiendishly difficult myst challenges..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Or, you could just stop worrying about it :lol: : http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 524#354524

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:16 am 
Obduction Backer

I'll stand by my statement that the puzzle that ties the pods together is one of the most clever in the game. It's unfortunate that 95% of players never really tried to solve it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:18 am 
Obduction Backer

clever... obscure... time consuming... and the pods don't really offer much to look at reasonably (unless you happen to be in the right place at the right time) though if there is a way to figure out how to get certain creatures to appear when that would be an interesting endevor... for me though, the problem is copious amounts of lag in all of them but dereno for some reason... since starting a batch of new avatars i havn't even bothered to touch the pods save to add the books to my relto shelf in an effort to make my life feel complete somehow...

but... i would say it has to have one heek of an Ah HA moment if you managed to figure it out for yourself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:30 am 
Obduction Backer

vidkid7 wrote:
I'll stand by my statement that the puzzle that ties the pods together is one of the most clever in the game. It's unfortunate that 95% of players never really tried to solve it.

I'm afraid I went the other way on that... I thought it was silly enough that PotS was obsessed with you waiting in place for 15 minutes. It really seemed overboard to put in a puzzle that makes you wait in place for 15 hours, LOL.

Now, if they hadn't made us wait endless weeks for Payiferen, I wouldn't have been so upset. Two pods without the solving key kept everyone busy, but didn't keep everyone happy, as I recall. :)

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:18 pm 

I have given up wondering what the pods puzzle was. :? No one I have met can tell me either. I use the calendar.

Some clues about what to do with all the sounds and buttons might be a good idea....?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

A'na wrote:
I have given up wondering what the pods puzzle was. :? No one I have met can tell me either. I use the calendar.

Some clues about what to do with all the sounds and buttons might be a good idea....?

[spoiler]something to do with how the rays of light through the window of the payiferen pod align with the markings on the floor.... [/spoiler]

.... beyond that i have no idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:20 am 
Obduction Backer

[spoiler=Tiny nudge]You're on the right track with the light-marking alignment.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Less tiny nudge]Try to predict when the alignment will occur.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Bigger hint]Be in Payiferen at the time of the alignment.[/spoiler]

Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Pavitra wrote:
[spoiler=Tiny nudge]You're on the right track with the light-marking alignment.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Less tiny nudge]Try to predict when the alignment will occur.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Bigger hint]Be in Payiferen at the time of the alignment.[/spoiler]

cool!! .... then what..?? there are three other pods...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:51 am 

Main_Avvie wrote:
cool!! .... then what..?? there are three other pods...

[spoiler=Little hint]There's also a map of pod locations in the museum.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Medium hint]The hatch in the bottom of each pod shows a D'ni number, which matches up with a location on the map.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Bigger hint]The map is divided into time zones.[/spoiler]

Eyen waxen
3: 7)$]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:36 am 
Obduction Backer

And just to make it interesting:

[spoiler]It's using D'ni time, not hours, and not 24 of them. That is to say, "there will be math."[/spoiler]

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:19 am 
Obduction Backer

vidroth wrote:
And just to make it interesting:

[spoiler]It's using D'ni time, not hours, and not 24 of them. That is to say, "there will be math."[/spoiler]

the contents of that spoiler contains my case in point!!! some people (like yours truely) really really really suck at math...
... this puzzle is sort of like the rocketship puzzle from the original myst; those with a good ear are gonna blow right through it... those who don't know tonal scale for squat are gonna be beating their heads in frustration (like yours truely)...
(that's why i think the design for that puzzle had to of been Robyn's idea...)

... alot of the puzzle content released durring gametap had nothing to do with buttons, levers, or dials... in fact, often ages were entire single puzzles unto themselves (think bevin garden ages and minkata) instead of a serries of mechanical puzzles across a single age... i suppose this saved cyan some time and money as i'd imagine it takes a lot of time to rig an age with all its machines and switches and time would have seemed of the essence what with their pipeline having to churn out new content on a frequent basis... but the pod ages still seem clunky to me however much of an ingenious puzzle it seems in theory...

... in fact the only age i can think of off hand that had the tried and true machine based puzzles of the myst serries was er'canna, but that and its sister age existed for path of the shell.... it was content already establish and rdy for myst online

so when it comes to the math portion of the puzzle that's where they loose me... it is discriminatory towards the mathmatically challenged!! :P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:54 am 
Obduction Backer

The spoilers to this point miss something significant - understanding D'ni time.

[spoiler]If your 'hood has a clock, there is an additional pamphlet to go with this puzzle on the table in the classroom.
This made life somewhat complicated if your 'hood didn't have a clock.

Having said all that - the pods were rolled out in two phases. People had cracked the portal times by brute force before the pamphlet was released in phase 2.[/spoiler]