It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: KI Upgrades
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:38 pm 

There are a few KI upgrades I would really love, I know it was an option in the questionaire but I thought I would start a thread on this anyways.

Audio Playing capabilities

I would love it if the KI, could record sounds, and allowed me to select someone on my Age List, and talk to them through my KI, Further more the ability to record whats being said over the KI.

The ability to Talk and move, at the moment you have to stand still for the talking to occur, can't I walk and talk? I understand their may be issues here.

Being able to send Audio Messages through the system, and interact with devices. In Bevin (I think) we can hear Dr Watson talking in the community room, I would Love to be able to upload an audio file to a nieghbourhood device like that.

Uploading our own audio file or linking to a file online and being able to play it. This is kind of selfish but I always listen to the TCT cast while playing Uru being able to just flick a switch in N'uru and hear it (wiether its streaming off the CCN server) would be really great, it could also be handy to listent to recorded logs.

Visual Enhancements

The ability to store more than 15 photos in the KI, or the ability to easily back them up locally. I'm not sure how you would do this but being able to place a image in the POTS image folder was really convient.

Movement/Text Enhancements

I don't want to be able see an emoticon i'll tell my Avi what to do if something is funny etc.. but I would like to be able to walk and still send a text message so a way to isolate the moment and message keys. Not everyone can type and walk around but its something I would find handy.

Interface

The interface is really good, however being able to 'group' people on your age list would be really cool, so I can have a CCN group, a MO group etc...

Great work on getting Live on its feet again I can't wait to start playing N'uru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

what about functions for Out of cavern connections. E.G KI Web browser or RSS feed retriever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:36 pm 

one thing that'd be great for the KI would be some way to have a chat grouping feature... so you could set up a 'team' channel for group exploration, for example.

d'mala 00723949

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:40 pm 

Quote:
what about functions for Out of cavern connections. E.G KI Web browser or RSS feed retriever

Or interaction with IM protocols. I know at one point, someone at H'Uru had connected KIs with an IRC server (it was very rudimentary, but hey...)

And while we are making wishes, how about the ability to play MP3s through our KIs, even if just to ourselves (you can even add iPod style earphones to the avatar while we are listening :lol:) I do love the music in Uru, but sometimes I just want to run through an age with my own music blaring in the background, or listen to my own stuff while playing 'heek with the homies.

Oh, and I'd like a pony. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:49 pm 

Yes being able to listen to an MP3 through you KI would be great, its the biggest thing i would want, would be so cool to run around the cavern listening to TCT, or Artic Monkeys or somehting. Have a little cable from you KI going to your ears, hehe the KIpod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lakem wrote:
Quote:

Or interaction with IM protocols. I know at one point, someone at H'Uru had connected KIs with an IRC server (it was very rudimentary, but hey...)

Yeah, I remember KIRC! Good times... ^_^

But games like The Matrix Online, if I remember, allowed a connection with AIM. And something like that could help get some cash flowing in from IM providers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:08 pm 

Lakem wrote:
Quote:

And while we are making wishes, how about the ability to play MP3s through our KIs, even if just to ourselves (you can even add iPod style earphones to the avatar while we are listening :lol:) I do love the music in Uru, but sometimes I just want to run through an age with my own music blaring in the background, or listen to my own stuff while playing 'heek with the homies.

Oh, and I'd like a pony. :wink:

Interaction with IM protocols would be great. Then I won't have to alt-tab to an IM window to see what someone is bugging me about. And connection to IRC will also be awesome.

MP3s through KI has always been my wish. The music player in Relto was awesome, and I used it to play some Coheed and Cambria and Mudvayne, and several other great bands. It was great when I was able to listen to rock music while hanging out in Relto. And it would be awesome to be able to do the same while running through Ae'gura or any of the "quest" ages.

And if someone gets a pony, I better get a fennec fox. Fennecs are so cute!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:12 pm 

Uhm... I wouldn't mind seeing a complete KI upgrade now that we're talking about it. The current one is pretty clumsy (and not to mention slow) :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:02 pm 

I like the idea of sending audio messages. It would be kind of neat to be able to actually hear the voices of everyone down in the cavern. IM integration is a pretty good idea as well.

Avvie name Ethan, KI#02003112

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh man, I have such a list going for this...

A few of the highlights:

- Better text navigation for text chat (hold down delete, jump through a sentence by word using standard Windows cursor movement controls)
- Better indication of who can hear you in text chat. Shout is handy, but when you need it is a bit on the "I have no freaking clue" side.
- Voice chat with people in another Age (KIphone!)
- Tooltips for buttons and commands (and the option to turn them off once you know what you're doing).
- A/V recording.
- Export images and notes (and audio/video if we can record it) from the KI to our computer. Heck, they're already cached locally anyway (well, I know images are...).
- Contact list management:
- - Group buddies into user-created groups, just like any good IM app.
- - Better group chat options. Like creating a private multi-person chat in MSN or AIM. Also, the ability to block invitations to such chats.
- - Ability to turn off sort by distance in the online list.
- - A closed group in the online list *stays closed*, even if someone new links in.
- Ability to access specially-designed web pages created for in-game content. Interfacing with the real-world WWW wouldn't make too much sense from a tech standpoint, but enabling people to create specially-designed IC "websites" accessible through the KI (like, say, for Cavern Today or something similar) would increase the KI's usefulness in relaying information to large groups of people quickly. Perhaps a central "server" on the Nexus with which the I would interface, providing a list of existing sites players can access. It's the Cavern Wide Web, hop on! ;)
- While this one may be a bit more hairy because of copyright violation and appropriateness issues (especially in light of the crusade in Washington to re-rate games based on stuff that didn't come in the box :P), the ability to import and distribute text files, images, and A/V content would be fantastic.

AFAIK it is possible to talk (using voice) and walk at the same time, though because of the potential for crashing other players in UU, I've not checked to see if I'm just recalling a beta feature that was later pulled for whatever reason. Text chat while moving is a bit more of a complex thing to deal with, especially if you explore using the arrow keys and you need to edit something you said. I think voice chat will probably become more useful when it generates less lag, transmits better, and doesn't cause people to crash... I know we used to use it all the time in beta.

On the subject of VoIP though, putting a fall-off on the audio bubble when speaking would be nice... it's a little unnerving when it just vanishes. It would also be nice if certain areas - like the podium in the 'hood community hall - allowed the voice transmission to fill the entire room. Seems kind of obvious to me, but hey ;).

I could probably go on, but I need to go to work and have already written a mountain of suggestions as it is. 'Ta!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:53 pm 

- font size selection for the main explorer list... i usually run somewhere between 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 - i could see a LOT more people on the screen if the font was 1/2 the size it is now.

d'mala 00723949

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

The ability to copy and paste in chat and pm's would save me a lot of time.

And I asked for that pony weeks ago but I'm willing to share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:52 am 

I was thinking of maybe adding a few simple / commands to the KI interface could be a good idea, such as a quick add friend via KI# command, quit command or take a photograph command.

maybe this could be extended so that you could create macros to do various tasks, although nothing that would spam the environment or annoy other users of course.. maybe the music idea could be built in this way quickly and easily without worrying about whole UI redesigns.

Greeters Guild Greeter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:04 am 
Obduction Backer

I want to be able to save my KI pictures to the KIimages folder like we can in the off-line game. And be able to dance until I want to stop dancing. I would like the /lite command and the /me command back, as well.

I would like for us to have the ability to create our own marker missions like we do on the old UU shards.

Post subject: Easier snapshots
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:02 am 

Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing, but it seems to me that in certain views, it's impossible to take a snapshot. This should be fixed (pretty please with sugar on top). :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next