It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A plea for peace
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:22 pm 

There has been some insuination lately that all Uru hackers are the same. That's hurtful. It's hurtful to me, it's hurtful to all that I've tried to accomplish in the past couple of months, and it's hurtful to Uru. The Uru that we all cherish.

One of the things I hoped to accomplish with the Grey Hats project was to show that there are hackers that want to be involved in the community. In some ways, this has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. In other ways, it has opened some old wounds, and perhaps encouraged some people to become more venomous.

When Cyan finally releases the code, I want to be there to help make it wonderful. I want to be there to help the new shard admins create more stable and secure servers. I want to be there to help artists create worlds beyond our imaginations. And above all I want to be there for Uru. I want to bring our beloved Uru into the 21st century. Help make the visuals spectacular beyond anything any of us can dream of. But to do that I need your trust. I can't gain that trust while there is a cloud of distrust and bad blood in this community.

This brings me to the heart of the matter:

This is a small community, filled with lots of big egos. We all think we know what's best for Uru, which way Cyan should go. And we are all correct, in our own ways. But our egos are not what is important. It's time we all, as a community, stop the infighting. It's time we discussed things like adults instead of like children. It's time we all make peace.

This does not mean we can't debate. This does not mean anyone gets to inflict their worldview on anyone else. It means we have civilized discussions. We accept counter-arguments, and come up with good responses for them. We do not call names. We do not insinuate. We do not make veiled attacks on each other. All of you have brilliant ideas for the future of Uru. And together, through compromise and discussion, we will create something far greater than any of us could craft alone.

I remember D'mala. I remember dancing in the pub, and climbing the tent. I remember long hours talking about absolutely nothing with people I hardly knew. I remember when Uru was a like a family to me. I want that again. We all do. So let's make it happen and put our grudges behind us once and for all. Let's make Uru the family we all know it should be.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

This makes me want to go and hug somebody.

Plus:
Quote:
I remember D'mala. I remember dancing in the pub, and climbing the tent. I remember long hours talking about absolutely nothing with people I hardly knew. I remember when Uru was a like a family to me. I want that again. We all do. So let's make it happen and put our grudges behind us once and for all. Let's make Uru the family we all know it should be.

I have nothing to say but a big +1. While I don't remember D'mala, I know that feeling of just standing around blippity blabbing about anything and having a darn good time doing it. Real life has gotten in the way of my ability to do it, and there are still groups that do it (D'ni Museum of Art) but the general community has changed. Example: While I'm sure voice chat can be annoying for people in a public area, is there a need to reprimand somebody using it? It will be better for everyone if people were polite in saying that it's intrusive and those chatting should be respectful of others wishes.

Unfortunately, there's going to be stigmas and beliefs that will never go away. But I'm sure we can all work together bit by bit and make this a truly friendly community once more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:09 pm 

Well said, Paladin. :D
I hope we see URU again as the discovered D'ni cavern where we can meet and explore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

apparently i've not been playing the same uru live as some people. most evenings i've had blibbity blabbity discussions with groups of friendly people. random chats that just go anywhere (and no where in particular) you're right. they're quite enjoyable. but they're not nonexistant that i've seen. i've not witnessed any slander, personal attacks, unreasonable demands or assumptions in d'ni or the forums (or at least it's quite scant) i'm not witnessing any breakdown of society here or in myst online.

to assume as such is to fear the worst and it only means we're less likely to enjoy ourselves and each other.

i think i could use a hug too... /me gives tanshin a brotherly hug

Last edited by Main_Avvie on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

A very nice and urgently needed appeal, Paladin... :D

I take that torch and pass it on to the next...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

well, I haven't been around for a while. This was a nice thing to find after so long.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:28 am 

I may be a relative newbie to MOUL, but you have my support on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:51 am 

I, too, remember D'mala and I know that a lot of people from the old days don't post anymore but are no less absent. Once things start moving I'll bet you'll see old faces coming out of the woodwork. I stand behind the idea of a persistent never-ending world that grows and changes. And behind the people who inhabit it and take it from a game to a community. I raise my glass to you all. Here's to peace. !shorah

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:26 am 
Obduction Backer

I am too new here to have noticed any sort of conflict, but I support this too. A project as noble as Uru shouldn't be left to die at the hands of mindless quarrels, or to die at all for that matter. Peace be unto the Cavern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:18 am 
Creative Kingdoms

PaladinOfKaos wrote:
I want to be there...

Good to hear, Branan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
PaladinOfKaos wrote:
There has been some insinuation lately that all Uru hackers are the same. That's hurtful. It's hurtful to me, it's hurtful to all that I've tried to accomplish in the past couple of months, and it's hurtful to Uru. <snip> it has opened some old wounds, and perhaps encouraged some people to become more venomous.

When I read this, my first thought was that we're not reading the same forum. But, upon further reflection, I realized that, in your position, you're going to read things differently than I am, and take things more to heart. So, let me just tell you what I've read since the Hood of Illusions project began.

Most of what I've read has been by people who've enjoyed their time in the Fun House or Hood of Illusions; they've posted their questions, suggestions and pictures. I've watched that section of the forum grow very quickly because of the positive interest in the project.

I can only think of three posts that were very critical, one claiming the activities caused lag which was not only unproven, but it was noted that the poster had lag issues before the HoI project began. The other two were about the effects lasting after leaving the hood; they didn't know they needed to log out to clear the effects and IMO, this is simply a case of poor communication which is rectifiable. And, it's good that they posted so the Grey Hats can address that issue.

As for the "insinuation lately that all Uru hackers are the same," I haven't seen that (unless it was by someone whose posts I've learned to ignore and so should you). Regarding the rogue hacker(s) and the confusion by some that what happened in the public city was done by Grey Hats, I think that was cleared up pretty quickly. I believe the venom being spewed over that is not just because they're jeopardizing Uru, but because your fans realize it's putting the Grey Hats' project and reputations at risk. So, in many ways, they're coming to your defense.

As for the rest of your post, I appreciate it and support you in it. I think you've handled things very well up to now. Try to think of the criticisms as simply an opportunity to educate. Every time you answer a question without becoming defensive, you improve the relationship between the hackers and the rest of the community, and raise the status of the Grey Hats. Keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:12 am 

Hacking is just another name for technological innovation. Without constructive hacking, the computing industry would be stuck in the 1950s. However, once standards begin to be established in new fields, the game begins to change. The standards are a result of the blood sweat and tears of numerous people. That product should not be taken away from them and that's why we have recognized ways of protecting that investment - patents and business contracts, etc.

The further development of any cultural artifact - be it cultural or technological - is also a product of the interaction between the users and the producers. In a general sense, the artifact belongs to the whole of society. But society is not a single, amorphous mass - there are subcultures, and sub-subcultures, and factions, and cliques, and so on all vying for ownership of various aspects of culture.

That is what we see happening in URU right now. The game has been thrown open to the general public. The general public is not your family. You will never be able to recapture the original family feeling that formed in the early days when the community was much smaller. The best you can do is seek out like-minded people and form your own communities. Doesn't mean we can't be civil and friendly toward others, just that we're not family any more.

I've seen this process many times since my hippie days in the 60s. I've been in hippie communes, anarchist collectives, feminist consciousness raising groups, food co-ops, etc. and the process is always the same. People are excited about the cozy feeling when the group is small. But as the group attracts more and more people, it attracts different kinds of people and they begin forming sub groups based on personal affinity that often evolve goals different from the founding goals. I'd almost say it's an iron law of history.

I always encourage creativity. I am quite happy with the Grey Hats as long as they abide by Cyan's guidelines. No matter how open Cyan decides to ultimately make URU, they still have an investment to protect - even if it's just the good name they made for themselves with the Myst series. And in turn, Myst players bring with them certain expectations that have been formed by playing the previous games. These are different from the expectations of people who have played other multiplayer online games. The people who played some games but didn't read the books also have had a different experience. And the people who play MOULa simply because it's free have different expectations. These different types of people don't necessarily share the same goals and expectations and won't form a cohesive community.

The Internet is a big place. A lot of people out there play by big big rules.

The past isn't what it used to be; and it never was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:36 am 
Obduction Backer

I agree with these. Fun House is really fun, but IMHO not in this shard. The whole Uru concept, the remnants of the one-time storyline, history, the whole IC concept will lose its seriousness and opens up the way to a sandbox type ground. For experimentations (call it "hacking" or whatever) another shard should be opened. Fun House is interesting, however, only a cheap trick for trying to keep up the interest toward the otherwise dormant Uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:37 am 

I am just an ordinary uru player. I am not involved in any of the behind the scenes dramas but I am sad that there appears to be dissent that distresses people. I hope concensus is reached because the Fun House is a wonderful innovation. I have yet to be awake in time to catch the Hood of Illusion. :wink:

I'd love to see a notice put on the imager there letting us know approximate times to turn up.

And although ermadog is quite right about the nature of groups' development, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I still find a great community spirit in the cavern. And I often laugh and laugh at the banter and chatter that goes on. Long may it continue. :D