It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC

What way would you prefer to use the voice chat button in MOUla?
As a "toogle" swich. 24%  24%  [ 7 ]
As a push and hold button(the way it is now) 76%  76%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 29
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:05 pm 

I was thinking it would be nice if in-game voice chat could be operated with a "toggle" switch instead of having to hold the "tab" key down. This would be useful for long messages. With Open Source it could be possible to change this, but the question is who would like to see this? If enough people are interested I night look at the source code and see how easy a change this is to make. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, a toggle like switch or button would be nice, but it probably would also need an update made to the KI so that you could activate/deactivate it and to know whether or not you have an "open mic", so to speak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:39 pm 

Quote:
Yes, a toggle like switch or button would be nice, but it probably would also need an update made to the KI so that you could activate/deactivate it and to know whether or not you have an "open mic", so to speak.

The same chat light we use now would could be used if your mic is open. The Ki is part of the source code, so we could modify the Ki if this is needed. How we explain this form an IC perspective I'm not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:08 am 

Jamie Marchant wrote:
Quote:

The same chat light we use now would could be used if your mic is open. The Ki is part of the source code, so we could modify the Ki if this is needed. How we explain this form an IC perspective I'm not sure.

Oh that's easy, just say the explorers hacked into the lattice or something. The DRC used to do updates to the KI that took effect automatically. The KI network is just one big D'ni computer system right? So updating everyone's KI would be like an operating system update on an iphone.

This is nothing compared to a lot of the crazy, inconsistent stuff that's happened in the story. I think almost anything can be explained IC at this point. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:30 am 
Obduction Backer

Where's the "remove it entirely and just have everyone use mumble" option? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:39 am 
Obduction Backer

I've never seen an experiment to determine the number of avvies that could be voice-chatting in one space simultaneously.
But I'm sure it would not be pretty to hear.
I'm also pretty sure that, given the "toggle on" option, most users would just leave their mike open constantly, and just talk whenever they wanted to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:14 am 

@Hoikas: That was very awesomely funny to me! A very rare and precious gift...Thank you!!!

@Emor: Yeah, I have to say you kinda' have a point there....

...In my own opinion, such a cacaphony of sound would best be described as pervasive wail culmuating into a final discordant note filled with utter disdain for both humanity and for all those intrepid souls who dare to bravely enter into the banshee cave which the cavern would then become*.

But, hey...I could be exaggerating a bit. I'm still voting it's no worth the risk.

(*Nevyn's Note: To put it another way, what Hoikas said. And if he and I are agreed on something....Is that mutiple Bahro screaming I just heard!?! :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:48 pm 

@AdamJohnson - Yah I thought of that but then decided it did not fit with this poll.

@Emor - that's a really good point, OK maybe I should leave it the way it is in that case.

@everyone else:

Emor:
Quote:
I've never seen an experiment to determine the number of avvies that could be voice-chatting in one space simultaneously.

Maybe we can test that next week at my event http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25465 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:26 pm 

Well it looks like people like the "chat" button the way it is(or want to remove voice chat completely like Adam :)), so I will not be looking into the code to change it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

agreed... people get irritated enough by voice chat as it is when others use it irresponsibly. at least with the "hold" mechanic the button must be actively depressed. imagine what it would be like with just half a dozen people within voice chat range who neglect to switch their mics off...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:47 pm 

Quote:
imagine what it would be like with just half a dozen people within voice chat range who neglect to switch their mics off...

Oh I know how annoying that is, I just never thought of it when I made the suggestion :(. FYI One time I was at event and we where using a 3rd party tool for the voice chat, that automatically turned on when sound was detected. A few times it went off during the Q&A and it was a bit annoying but nothing that we could not handle.

EDIT: made it sound less "bad".

Last edited by Jamie Marchant on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's why some genius invented the Mute button :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:23 pm 

Quote:
That's why some genius invented the Mute button Wink

At the event that was not an option for the host was using the program to talk and we could ask questions. FYI The event was a discussion of what could and could not be done in the Hood Of Illustiotns and Brenon was the host, I think.

Last edited by Jamie Marchant on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:29 pm 

Yeah, we had some issues with TS for that Q&A. I don't remember it being quite as bad as you're describing - there were a couple of people with noisy microphones that we had to deal with, but otherwise it worked fairly well.

Of course, there's a big difference between choosing to go to a voice Q&A and wandering through the cavern unexpectedly getting an earful of somebody's kid crying.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

URU voice chat functions pretty well enough as is... the audio quality, on the other hand, is suspect.

nice idea though. for any interface variety is key, imo. but some options can just serve to cause (sometimes unforeseen) issues.

there have been plenty of times i'm running and jumping through URU while trying to hold down TAB with my poor phalanges all tangled up and hurting.