It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Open Source: Q&A!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:52 am 
Obduction Backer

I am now hosting Q&As not only on setting up Shards, but on any Open Source subject. Feel free to come!
Time: 19:00 KI Time, Saturdays, OpenUru.org Hood

----- ORIGINAL MESSAGE ------
Open Source is here, and has been for almost a year! It is now extremely easy for anyone with a decent set of technical knowledge and enough willingness to set up a personal Uru server (also known as a shard). I myself, although a complete novice to Open Source Uru, have managed to set up my own shard thanks to the help of other people at OpenUru.org (OU) and the Guild of Writers (GoW), and I am now willing to help others who might be struggling with the same problems I had.

Therefore, since there seems to be a reasonable demand for such help, I'm announcing that I will be holding an in-game Q&A session to help you out with setting up your own personal Uru server! No time has been fixed as of yet, and this will have be discussed, but my best time slot right now would be any Saturday at 9:00 PM UTC/GMT -5 hours (I'm not writing this in KI-Time to avoid confusions because of the upcoming time adjustment). The sooner the better! The Q&A would last somewhere between 1:00 and 1:30, depending on the time slot used, and there might be follow-ups, reprisals for new participants, and additional OOC help. So, I'm all ears. :D

Technical information: as I have not yet tried out DIRTSAND (although this is on my to-do list; stay tuned for future Q&A sessions!) I will be using MOSS by a'moaca' and cjkelly1 for the server software reference. Similarly, since most people will be unable to compile OpenUru's CWE client, which requires Visual Studio 2003 (although plans for supporting Visual Studio 2010 are underway), I will be offering help solely about H'uru's CWE client. The two pieces of software can both easily interface with each other.

Topics: general information about setting up a shard, the process, etc; requirements; instructions; potential difficulties; eventually more, depending on questions. An introductory speech will present the basics of the process, and the rest will be Q&A.

Links of interest:

MOSS - OpenUru.org Wiki

CWE H'uru - GoW

This is the first time I will be hosting an event. Don't judge me too harshly, please! 8)

Last edited by Lyrositor on Fri May 11, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

First meeting today!
Time: 9:00 PM GMT-5, or 19:00 KI Time (I think).
I'll try to be available, as promised.

Last edited by Lyrositor on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

What?..No Music!..I'll be there anyway..lol

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've actually decided I'll try to host them every saturday, same time, time permitting. So if you miss one, chances are you can catch up next weekend.

Also, for our european friends who probably can't attend meetings that late, I might start offering them in the morning too, on an alternating schedule (morning would be around 7:00 or 9:00 KI Time and would last 1 hour at most).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Lyrositor wrote:
Time: 9:00 PM GMT-5, or 7:00 KI Time (I think).

KI time is like maritime, so it would probably be best to write it as 19:00 KI time just to be clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:38 pm 

Thanks, because I forgot to ask while chatting earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for noticing my oversight! :oops:
Edited and fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:37 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, that's a wrap folks for the first event! Big thanks to the ten or so people who attended my presentation. I hope I was adequate.

I'll be posting the chatlogs soon (network problems forced me to switch computers mid-way). Hopefully, this is the first of many such events!

My next event will probably be held next Saturday, this time at 9:00 or 11:00 AM DST-5 time (not using KI time because Uru's DST adjustments aren't perfect; I'll start using it next month, when it's adjusted itself once more). Today was mostly a general introductory speech to all the concepts involved; next week will be the same speech, more or less, but at an earlier time.

In two weeks, I plan on hosting another Q&A at the same time as this one. This will talk more about technical issues and such, since I expect some of my attendees will have by then attempted to set up their shard, but newcomers are always welcome. I will try to post and format all the chatlogs quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:12 am 

My Wife and I have sadly not been in this forum nor the server for many moons, however you alone have smoked us out.
We just want to say we thoroughly enjoyed your presentation and thanks for having us us as guests. Deep in our hearts we hope URU will live forever and trust your efforts will help in that regard. Count on us to be present at more of your well presented Q&A's............Thanks again , Sophia and Murray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Fore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Chatlogs are now available!
RAW: http://uru.lyros.net/files/logs/QA_10-03-12.txt
CLEANSED: http://uru.lyros.net/files/logs/QA_10-03-12_cleansed.html

Next meeting: Saturday 17th, 11:00 GMT-5 (KI Time should be 8:00; since DST changes are happening at different times in different places, and since, to make it worse, KI Time is using an older standard). OpenURU.org Hood, Community Room/Auditorium.
Topic: Introduction To Open Source Shards, updated from yesterday's talk.

Those who attended yesterday won't need to come, unless they have more questions about the concepts discussed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Warning: slight change in the nature of this event. From now on, every second time will deal about the same topic as the week before, but instead of being comprised mostly of a monologue, it will be a free Q&A. It is assumed you have read the chatlogs of the previous meeting. Repetition of the previous meeting would be completely useless, in my opinion, since the chatlogs are there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Next Q&A in two hours! Read the previous chatlogs if you haven't already done so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

The event is over. As nobody came, no chatlogs will be provided.
Next event is next week, at the other time (see GoMe for details).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:06 pm 

I'm sorry to here no one came but keep trying, I think your events are a really good idea. I would have come but I already know about open source and how to set up a shard.