Do you agree?
Yes 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
No 81%  81%  [ 38 ]
Why are you asking me? 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Nah, I'll just head over to the shards 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 47
 Post subject: Hood back into Bevin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:16 am 

Is there anyway we could just flip the switch so new instances are called Someone's Bevin instead of Someone's Hood, sounds ghettoish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:48 am 

I disagree, if we're going to label the neighborhoods as specific places, then I ***demand*** that they be named after my holy place of birth instead.

I'll see you all in "Adam {Hoikas}'s Vidalia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:45 am 

'Hood' seems neighbourly.not so much gangsta'..depends on where you live, I guess..although Bevin is a bit more 'Homey'....lol

Moul(A) Charura KI#00055400 Char Gearz KI#00706359 Cannon Belle KI#13686512 Teri Dactyl KI#12658065 Neana KI#12762144

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:11 am 

"Neighborhoods. Calling them hoods makes them sound like gangsters. And we all know those people just start shooting guns and being relatively unsafe."
:P

There was a whole debate about hood vs bevin. Apparently the original was neighborhood, and despite the fact that the in-game evidence suggested they WERE instances of Bevin (or Seret) each and every one, the change-back happened. So yeah. They were called hoods, then got changed to bevin. Then changed back to hood.

(The simple fact that they were called bevins is related to the fact that they ARE instances of bevin. Much in the same way as your own teledahn is called "X's Teledahn" when someone created their own hood it was an instance of bevin they owned, and thus called "X's Bevin". And then people joining was kinda added on to make everyone declared an 'owner' of the given instanced age. Or at least so it seems by observation, without checking the server code. Considering instancing was a simple mess as vid posted an example of, I'm astounded they ever got hood-instances to work in the first place... although I suspect if we ever used the sharing bugs to get to private instances of hood-instanced ages.. on the person whose hood it was... we'd end up in the hood-instance anyways, because they're the owner. But never did test it.)

MOULa KI: #00027582
Welcome back all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:36 am 
Creative Kingdoms

For every hard-won victory, such as United States over the British Empire, Freedom over Slavery, or Marie Antoinette over her head, there's always someone who liked it better the way things were before. Even if it means giving up personal liberties and revising history to claim such things as the Moon landing was faked, or we who fought for "Hood" were not in the majority. The choice of "Hood" was a years-long struggle filled with multiple incarnations of the Myst Online service, the fiasco of the ADM, the clarion call of Vidkid's OBJECTION!, and the glorious and vindicating release of open source.

Take heed of Padme's warning: "So this is how liberty dies, to the sound of thunderous applause."

There can be only ONE Bevin.

You will have to pry "Hood" from my cold, dead hands.

Oh yeah: :P

Last edited by JWPlatt on Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:39 am 

There is no such thing as an instance.</IC>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:34 am 

It used to say the full out word "Neighborhood" which sounds a lot better even if it is longer. Though I'd still personally like to go back to Bevin, if we really on the whole don't want that, I think using the file name itself "Neighborhood" for the created places would be most agreeable.

So would any of the people who supported "Hood" over "Bevin" also support "Neighborhood" over "Hood"?

There would be more name cutting off with the word Neighborhood, but I think it would still be the best option and avoid the slang sound... (would help if nexus used more line space for the names, it leaves a lot blank at the point it cuts off)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:51 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
For every hard-won victory, such as United States over the British Empire, Freedom over Slavery, or Marie Antoinette over her head, there's always someone who liked it better the way things were before. Even if it means giving up personal liberties and revising history to claim such things as the Moon landing was faked, or we who fought for "Hood" were not in the majority. The choice of "Hood" was a years-long struggle filled with multiple incarnations of the Myst Online service, the fiasco of the ADM, the clarion call of Vidkid's OBJECTION!, and the glorious and vindicating release of open source.

Take heed of Padme's warning: "So this is how liberty dies, to the sound of thunderous applause."

How can you honestly say that anyone on any side of this issue is trying to take away liberty and freedom? We are talking about a name here, no one is trying to take your D'ni away from you. Why can't people be reasonable and at least not act like people are actually out to murder all of the game's history? That's what the problem was with this whole issue, people who acted like the "Bevin" supporters were some kind of evil history changing group. I just don't see why we can't all be more calm about this, only one name is at stake, you should still support your side that you want to, but don't try to make it a bigger matter than it really is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:09 am 

I still call it Bevin, in fact I still have my old Bevin #57

any way Bevin, Hood, Potato Poh-ta-toe, Tomato, Toe-Maht-toe

aw the heck with it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 am 
I don't see what all the fuss is about. I call it a Bevin (or Seret if I happen to know that it is) but I couldn't care less about what it's called in the Nexus, or via Chat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:53 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Ehren wrote:
...people are actually out to murder all of the game's history... but don't try to make it a bigger matter than it really is.

But then it wouldn't be so much fun, like creative writing. Overblown courtroom antics are part and parcel with this issue. We're just trying to do honor to Vid's histrionics; his labor of love for the game. The day this issue goes away is the day the game loses a little more life and becomes a little less fun.

There can be only ONE Bevin.

And you will still have to pry "Hood" from my cold, dead hands.

Lest I forget: ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:31 pm 

AdamJohnso wrote:
I disagree, if we're going to label the neighborhoods as specific places, then I ***demand*** that they be named after my holy place of birth instead.

I'll see you all in "Adam {Hoikas}'s Vidalia"

I think this needs to be said again since some people don't seem to realize that "Bevin" is a specific place--the first neighborhood that the DRC restored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:04 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

When Adam and I agree on something, it becomes an immutable law of physics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:09 pm 

I agree with Adam: it would be nice if we could call our [insert appropriate word here] anything we want. However, since I'm not a programmer, I have no idea how much time and trouble this would take to implement this option.

So, although I'd prefer "Neighborhood" over "Hood", I'll take "Hood" over "Bevin".

KI numbers:
TOOO 194360
Magical Mystery TOOO 20693567
Karaoke TOOO 9298427

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:43 pm 

History lesson time!

Sep 04, 2007 — EVENT: The Bevin Objection

Sep 08, 2007 — Objection: Sustained!

Apr 11, 2011 — So long, Bevin...

Apr 16, 2011 — The Bevin Restoration