It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:01 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1054 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 71  Next
 Post subject: Fan Content
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:41 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Greetings,

There are preliminary plans for a MOULa update in November. Follow the link below to watch the continuing discussion as it builds toward an October AGM announcement:

http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=820

This will be a very brief post lacking in detail, but the need for fan content was raised as OU discussed the next update. We fans have always wanted to contribute content to Uru Live, UntilUru, MOUL and MOULa, etc. It remains a torturous road to get there, mostly because of all the legal stuff to take care of, the logistics of supplying Cyan with content that is compatible with their older build system, and especially the vast time and effort required from volunteers. We are not there yet with a license, but we believe something more than just updates are needed to maintain interest in the meantime. And coincidentally, CAVCON just went down to 2 only days after our discussion, underscoring the point. I'm sure new content would be even more exciting than new software features and fixes.

OpenUru.org remains committed to resolving the licensing issues with Cyan. But in the meantime, we'd really like to see a push toward getting your content into MOULa as soon as possible in whatever manner necessary. We'll wait on the community for candidates or proofs of concept, but we will help anyone who has serious work to contribute by installing it onto Minkata, our test shard, for Cyan's consideration. Most of the talk over the years has included a user Nexus that leads to more fan ages. This is what we'll probably need first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:49 am 

I agree, that more than (for new players) invisible bugfixes are needed to keep people interested in MOULa. But then again I wonder how I could I contribute new content? And I'm not even talking about the license yet. As far as I can see there are tools either for people using expensive 3D software or people who can (or are willing) to fight their way through Blender. I don't see a not that hard way to do stuff.
And don't misunderstand me, I really appreciate bugfixes and think that they are contributing to keep people hooked. But I hear so often people talk about the good old times. People who have stayed no matter how bad things got. And I think these people deserve something new. And I wished I was able to do more than just making a new shirt texture on a single shard. Yet, I don't have the time to think of stuff AND learn how to do it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:08 am 
Creative Kingdoms

One hopes that creative people like you will be helped by others who do have the resources to take your work and use those expensive tools and their skills on it so you don't have to learn them. An easy-to-find central directory might be good for that. I'd call it "The Pipeline." And there might be someone to even facilitate that little bit of effort to either create one or aggregate any that are already in existence but aren't common knowledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Easy way to create content? Looking pretty bleak from my point of view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
Easy way to create content? Looking pretty bleak from my point of view.

Easy? Boring!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:39 am 

I have several Ages that are in the works and are available for download for CC and MOULa, With the exception of Relativity which is being presently worked on in blender by Matt and is becoming more or less a community project for CC, I feel the other ages that I have may still need some improvement, if you guys in OU and the Minkata shard are interested and wanna take a look at them and let me know exactly what you think they need im sure I can update them for you I may need some help with some of the more complex stuff, but your more then welcome to them.

So far I have Chess Backgammon Checkers The Lost Stonehenge and the Walking maze, I also have a Mancala age I never got around to releasing. the Board games are pretty simple but I tried to make them practical and playable The Lost Stonehenge is just to explore and the Walking Maze inspired by some Cyan concept art has a bit of a puzzle to it and some new content I added a while back, I would like to take them to the next level if possible but I am just an amateur at this stuff

However
If we are nominating
I would like to suggest Jo'nae hood

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:55 am 
Creative Kingdoms

A Stonehenge fascinates me as a Nexus, actually. A hood and games would be cool too. And I've always wanted a maze... Okay, well, it's all cool. We'll chat with anyone about how to get content installed and tested. Start a thread (recommended) or send us a PM. Obviously, rarified is required, but we'll all need to be in the loop. And please try to be patient as we work out a process together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:02 am 

Im assuming your suggesting starting a thread on the OU I don't mean to sound uninformed (which I usually am)
Two questions first on the forum under which topic do I start thread
and the PM, I wanted to keep the conversation open for comments so im not sure about that but who would I PM on this topic if it was neccesary

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:51 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I'm not sure which forum either. ;) But for now let's discuss content on our Minkata Test Shard forum because that's where we need to create a process to install and test content. We can move the threads or create a new forum later if a better place becomes more evident as we go. The process and the needs of a fan content commons (Nexus) are likely to be the main topics. All your age design and construction discussions can be held wherever you do that now.

OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard Forum:
http://forums.openuru.org/viewforum.php?f=108

We too would prefer open discussion using the forums, especially during a pilot program to get content started. If there's a project with need for confidentiality, OU PMs to rarified, Mac_Fife or me are okay too - perhaps when we're further along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:05 pm 

OK im signed up and awaiting approval from the Admins

In the mean time since I am working in Max 7 it shouldn't be to difficult to add some of my ages but I havta admit as I said before im still a bit of an amateur, so any feed back on any of my ages will be greatly appreciated, I cant really make them too user friendly without the user feedback needed for improvements

I may be able to produce an age with a bit of everything in it, not for exhibition but more for testing to see how the simples, animations python files ext ext work on Moula apposed to what Im using to to test them myself

As far as the Stonehenge being a Nexes it sounds interesting if you can tell me more of what you mean, [spoiler]I was thinking of making a cavern underneath with a hidden door and perhaps some linking books and stones inside (something inspired by Dr Who)[/spoiler]
Im definitely open to other ideas on that one its the only age I have made so far with a minimal of interaction

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:39 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Super. No approval necessary. Looks like you're already validated. I'll add you to the Members group so you can post, but you can do it yourself too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
As far as the Stonehenge being a Nexes it sounds interesting if you can tell me more of what you mean, [spoiler]I was thinking of making a cavern underneath with a hidden door and perhaps some linking books and stones inside (something inspired by Dr Who)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]What is the chance that we could get the source files for Sonavio from boblishman so the nexus featured in that age could be remade for MOULa shards? I always though it was an awesome nexus, and I think it would make a fantastic one to host fan ages.[/spoiler]

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:

Perhaps we can find and open Pandorica? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
or maybe the outer reaches of Minkata :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:30 pm 

I agree with the need for new content in-game.

I suspect that this community will likely continue to slowly decline without new content. There's even a danger of things unraveling faster than expected; we're at Cavcon 2 right now and there's probably not much reserve left.

I'll donate a bit and I'll also make time to work on Relativity. Hopefully between my efforts an the efforts of other fans, we can keep things going and perhaps get more good content into Uru in the next few months.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1054 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 71  Next