It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:13 pm 

Here! :wink:

...wheres my box?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

So I guess I'm the only one who thinks that the DRC does have some sort of authority in the Cavern beyond the one that they can enforce by technology. Not that it matters much in the end, as people will ignore them anyway. ;)

On a different note it's interesting how some people pretend that the DRC share everything they found with the explorers but aren't willing to do that themselves because 'finders takers' or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
So I guess I'm the only one who thinks that the DRC does have some sort of authority in the Cavern beyond the one that they can enforce by technology.

Um... possibly. ;) The thing is, I see no indication that they're in charge by virtue of anything other than declaring themselves in charge.

As far as I know, there isn't any research team given exclusive access by the descendents of those who lived in D'ni, so I don't see how the Cavern is anything but fair game to all interested researchers.

Quote:
Not that it matters much in the end, as people will ignore them anyway.

You're right. ;)

Quote:
On a different note it's interesting how some people pretend that the DRC share everything they found with the explorers but aren't willing to do that themselves because 'finders takers' or something like that.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for my part, it's not so much that the DRC needs to share everything they find instantly, as that they need to make explorers part of the process.

Speaking of the past for a moment: I sometimes got the feeling that the DRC saw themselves as reluctant babysitters of people they assumed were stupid and accident-prone, rather than as a team of researchers who were blessed with the fortune (which most research teams only dream about) of an almost unlimited supply of helpers who were willing to work for free. The DRC seemed to feel burdened by us; I say they lucked out.

The DRC stressed about making areas "ready" for us... but why did they even need to? We never asked for that. What we wanted to do was to help, not to play on the DRC's ready-made playground. (Yes, I realize this is an IC explanation of an OOC issue... but that doesn't change my reaction to it IC. ;)) Our choices about whether or not to take risks are our own.

I haven't seen much indication the DRC desired my input or help (as a thinking person with useful skills, not just as a body to sacrifice over a cliff or bridge in search of markers, had I not had a Relto book,) either in the past or in the present, so I see no reason to suddenly turn over everything I find to them.

This is not to say I dislike the DRC. I actually do think they're good people, even if I don't always agree with them. I'm just trying to explain why I take what they say with a grain of salt, as I would and should before accepting anything that anyone said. And I think the DRC has done much better in communicating with the explorers recently than they did in the past, so we'll see what comes of it. If nothing else, I do appreciate that they're trying.

I would certainly be willing to work with them (please note "with," not "for") if I thought they actually... well... wanted us to. :)

Annacat

The Narayani Collective

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:12 pm 

well i dont think illegal ages would be cyan made ages... i mean so much hard work only that few people get there and it ends up being called illegal?

first: what is considered an illegal Age in D'ni?
it's ages which are not supported and approved by the guild of maintainers (maybe some other things make it illegal too)

lets say the DRC is like the guild of maintainers (they are somewhat).
There are various ages which are being maintained (and therefore supported) by the DRC (actually all ages we visited were being restored by the DRC), and few (Gahreesen and Eder Gira?) have even been approved for public use.

now Cyan has showed some interest in including player made ages, how would day include them? obviously they wouldn't be at the same standard as the regular DRC Ages, so what to do with them?
I say: add them as the illegal ages! Illegal ages were those which looked weird or had hazzerdous places, just like the player made ages. Also it would explain why they are of poorer quality than the DRC Ages. They could be added in some building whic isn't yet DRC approved. Cyan should still have some procedure to test the Ages, as it should have at least some good content and looks. (a bridge between to pillars all with monocolored textures wouldn't be allowed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:31 pm 

An 'illegal' age system would be really really cool. You could find these ages if you happen to be exploring off the beaten path and solve a puzzle.
The ages would be genuinely dangerous, you could perhaps fall, perhaps lose your relto, and perhaps have to solve a difficult puzzle to get it back
unless you want to send out an SOS, in which case you get caught in an unapproved age.

And once you are caught in an 'illegal' age, you go on the DRC's blacklist.
And when you're on the blacklist, there are certain DRC ages that you aren't allowed to visit. This gives players an incentive to not go to these ages, because without this counter not visiting illegal ages would be
sort of silly because you would intentionally be missing out on content that
you pay for.

I'm not crazy about the idea of all fan ages being illegal. Some won't be anywhere near up to Cyan standard, but you should see the latest batch that's being done, it really does rival Cyan Worlds graphically.

Granted, I do have some ideas for illegal ages. I'm actually making a prison age that is disguised as a regular age. Oh, and forget your Relto,
I have the power to disable that :twisted: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:58 pm 

oh i remember that evil age
was it Prad? some age had disabled the relto book and had a cleft linking book which didnt work :P

id love to see the new ages, where are they? my uruagemanager doesnt seem to find any...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

It was, I managed to escape that Age it was fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:20 pm 

[quote=AnnaCat]...I sometimes got the feeling that the DRC saw themselves as reluctant babysitters of people they assumed were stupid and accident-prone...[/quote]Maybe they saw too many of us running into walls, falling / running off of cliff tops, Running though people, unable to use hands to pick up cones/fishbaskets and having to kick them instead etc... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:54 pm 

I'm sorry, but I don't think being trapped will work the way you want it.

Oops, I'm trapped, my relto is disabled in this age... So I quit. Log back on, and whoa, I'm back in relto, where everything is fine. Since it is probably too complicated to work the login any other way, I doubt this will be possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:35 am 

´thats what i did :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:02 pm 

Ah, yes. But what if they introduced Persistant Location? So when you quit,
you go back to where you were when you quit. It makes sense to me.

Of course, some really mean person could make an age that disables Relto and gives you no way out. But I imagine Cyan would help regulate that stuff.

I sure would make the game more interesting to me. A prison age would be an actual, scary thing. Maybe you had to solve a puzzle to get out of it. There would be some real risk involved in linking to illicit ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:44 pm 

I think that in fact, the DRC i.e. Cyan could have an area (black market by the docks lol) where people could share Ages. However, you would only be able to get back out by usuing the nexus book in the age where you came in... IF you get lost and cannot get out, you gotta call the DRC which would be a channel on the KI or a button or somethign and they would help you, but "sanction you" so you cannot enter the Public access aproved areas like Gahreesan. So, there wouls be areas under DRC control only enterable if you're not caught in say the last few weeks, and Player Ages which could potentially force you to get caught (by trapping you) but could also be beuatiful and too wacky to be approved by DRC like others have said. However, someone TRAFFICKING in illegal ages would get sanctioned longer than a visitor, no?

Also, the DRC could hold meeings to perhaps approve player Ages, testing them and seeing if they're fair. One approved they would be accesable in the Museum ro through Nexus and you could Relto out as normal.

Long post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:37 am 

Very close to launch, pending a final look from Tony Fryman, is the Guild of Writers site, which was created so we can "write" Ages and share them with each other. Obviously, some "creative license" was taken so the Ages could be in English, but I tried hard to integrate that into GoW's framework plot. At any rate, you could possibly consider the "Terran Guild of Writers" illicit entirely, from the DRC's point of view...

Coming Very Soon:
http://guildofwriters.org

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3