It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:23 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Which option would you prefer?
Poll ended at Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:22 pm
All - similar to or same as today - everything intact 60%  60%  [ 30 ]
Community - storyline reduced, community enhanced 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
Loner - you don't really care for strangers 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
Other / BATMAN option 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 50
 Post subject: Storyline straw poll
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:22 pm 

With the poll, choose which option you would prefer, imagining that it is stripped down from the top:

"All" means that everything is intact - storyline is playing a major role (although you can note if you'd like changes in that area). I note that this means Cyan's storyline, not community-created stories, but feel free to interpret that as you wish. Just make a note.

"Community" means that the storyline plays a reduced role, and community decisions play a larger role. You decide the details of what this means - does it mean that people just band together to solve ages together, or does it mean that Guilds step up to the plate more than before?

"Loner" is the near equivalent of being a S.T.A.L.K.E.R., you're mainly out to see the sights and collect artifacts by yourself. On a positive note, you like solitude. Don't see a lot of ambiguity here, but again, interpret as you need to. Maybe you only game with a smaller group of friends. Again, your choice.

Other - somehow I have caused a problem and failed to adequately represent your view (that or you really like BATMAN).

I'm curious to see how this breaks down. I have indicated many times that I have concerns about the storyline, but I'm no spoilsport - if people like the storyline (or want to see the storyline improved, depending on your perspective) and definitely want it to remain a major feature, then that's what I want too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:33 pm 

I'd have to say that I would go for the story option.

The team do some really amazing stories and some very good character work, even if that does get lost sometimes in all the lag and crowded overtalk.

As for a community driven game? Now, I'm not saying that we don't have a good community here - it's just that without the story the only events will be a mishmash of ringleaders without a ring. Admit it, everyone is looking for a way to distinguish themselves, and for many people the best way to do that is to shout a lot. (Or act "wacky" or "zany" and spout on about monkeys, ninjas, or pirates) I just feel that while some don't wish to follow the story, others find that it gives them some direction, however slight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:34 pm 

I voted "Batman" because I am usually 10 years ahead of my time and have lots of other possibilities in my "polar bear's mind". :lol:

What you have seen so far is only the tip of the iceberg. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:48 pm 

Keep the votes comin' people. Haven't voted yet myself because I didn't want the first person up to see my choice and get influenced by that (I think I'm voting for "everything" because I simply want them to work out the kinks, although we'll see if it actually happens).

Heevan wrote:
The team do some really amazing stories and some very good character work, even if that does get lost sometimes in all the lag and crowded overtalk.

Well, I know my hatred for Yeesha is bordering on irrational, but I never saw anything about Cate than a poor cookie-cutter cutthroat exec prototype. Regardless, that's not what the poll is about, so I would be hurting it myself if I went on the offensive about this in here :lol:

Last edited by Ed Oscuro on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:04 pm 

I voted 'other' because I don't consider brief visits by NPCs a storyline... I'd prefer a return to the way the Myst stories were told after-the-fact, just with other people in the game with us. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

I voted 'community'. I wouldn't want to see what we have reduced in amount or scope, but I'd like to see the community involvement increased radically. I'd like to see more input from the community on the direction of story, more dialog between Cyan and the community and more opportunities for players to engage in canon (or near-canon) story, including fan-created storyline.

Also, and I think this might be a bit unpopular around here, I'd like to see Cyan embrace the elements of the game that happen out of cavern. I'd like to see Cyan officially sponsor some of the community sites, like DPWR, MYSTlore, etc. Possibly they could fill in areas of the background that is unimportant to the official story line (for example, I'd love a chance to build out the Narayani language into something with more detail). Uru really needs to go all Web 2.0 ;)

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:22 am 

Hmm. Interesting responses, but I see now that there isn't really a way to draw any conclusions from them (because too few people wrote replies, and the question could've been more direct as well). Still, it looks to me that a large number of people playing don't care about the storyline at all, but the large majority either likes the storyline or thinks that the idea of a storyline is worthwhile and Cyan should soldier on with it. Simply put, getting rid of Cyan-delivered storylines seems to not be a very popular option.

I agree with BladeLakem here, but of course you know I'm going to go blame Cyan for the community involvement being a bit difficult at times, so I'll spare everybody that. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

I miss getting info and clues from books and journals. Getting it from the forum us not as much fun, but not enough is conveyed in cavern. Relays are an improvement, although they don't always happen at a good time for me - so maybe a newspaper? XD

And, while I enjoyed previous Myst games playing solitary, I really enjoy playing ages with others, and other aspects of the community as well ^_^

i didn't vote - I have no clue where all that fits ^_^

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]