It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:18 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: A First
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:11 am 

I was in the cavern this evening for the first time in quite a while. My studies keep me from being around regularly, I'm sorry to say. But I try to drop in as often as I can. Today I came in after over a month and it was the first time there was absolutely no one there. It felt eerie, and kind of sad...reminded me of Complete Chronicles. This is not a call for people to come back or to be there more often. I'm the last person who should be doing that, as little time as I have for it, but I just wanted to share. I hope it's temporary.

DR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:31 am 

It often gets like that in the mid period between episodes. A lot depends on the time of day that you go of course

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:22 am 
Obduction Backer

I always wondered where everyone was, and now I think I know - they're all in Beta!

All 4,900 of them.........(98 pages, 50 per page)

Well OK, not all of them, maybe only half are active but that's still a shed load of people.

Or is just episodic format, no one's going to bother to show up because nothing happening. I'd like to see the DRC "going to work in the morning", they don't have to say anything, just wonder around, occassional building works being erected etc.....the odd Barho turning up now and again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:10 am 

This is exactly why I wonder why Cyan wanted to do this online version so badly when, honestly, outside of the episodes, if you aren't new to the game there really is nothing to do. Jalak had to be a test to see if we could be satisfied with that sort of "time killer" content. Same for the marker quests. Even the pellet cooking has the feel of an explorer "job" to keep us busy and coming back in. But none of these things is enough, so everyone rushes in for the episodes and out to play other Gametap games the rest of the time. In a way Uru is really good for Gametap, because we find ways to fill our time outside of Uru by using their catalog. This is also why I asked in another thread what Cyan's original plan was. Somehow I don't think it was the soap opera of the DRC and former DRC that it's been thus far, and I can't help wondering what they saw us doing originally to fill the spaces between new content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:39 pm 

I don't think they've changed the planned story much, just the way it's delivered. Ideally it was going to unfold in "actual" real time rather than in episodes. In the beginning, the cavern was pretty full most of the time...every day.

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Songe wrote:
I always wondered where everyone was, and now I think I know - they're all in Beta!

Well OK, not all of them, maybe only half are active but that's still a shed load of people.

This makes sense actually...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:31 pm 

Frisky Badger wrote:
I don't think they've changed the planned story much, just the way it's delivered. Ideally it was going to unfold in "actual" real time rather than in episodes. In the beginning, the cavern was pretty full most of the time...every day.

Yes it was. I remember. I was never able to see anything because I never knew when to be in there. :lol: And I could never get in the city. It was always full. But that's still not exactly what I'm talking about....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:45 am 
Obduction Backer

I was online yesterday and there were around 20 in the City and a few public Bevins with anywhere from 6 to a dozen people...

Not exactly bursting at the seams, per se, but not completely dead either.

The episodic content delivery system does tend to leave the in-between periods a little more scant than during episode week.

Keep in mind as well that while the (Nexus-accessed) City used to be the only "globally" public area in Uru, now we also have the Watcher's Sanctuary, Kirel, Phil's Relto, and the five Guild Pubs. Folks have been spreading out into the other now-publicly-available areas.

Last edited by Reverend Vader on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:41 am 

I just came back from a short visit down a few minutes ago. (Nightly jog around the city.) Only six people in Ae'Gura, but 16 in one of the bevins... 7 in another. A GoG representative was there in Ae'Gura and in the short 30 minutes or so I was in there this GoG person helped at least two new explorers out of the six folks present at the moment, so that's pretty good. There was a fairly frequent linking in and out going on. I even saw "The Doctor" once down by the Ferry Terminal. Would have shaken his hand and asked to "borrow" his sonic screwdriver but he linked back out before I had the chance. :D No one was in Phil's relto when I stopped by there, though one person linked in just as I linked back to my relto. So, yeah, there is some life there at the moment.

I forgot! No one was in The Watchers Pub, but one person was in Kirel. (I didn't check the Writers Guild Pub.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

bpgisme - the original plan included a staff that was two times bigger than the one they have now, and with the prospect of hiring around 20 more people once the game officially launched. With that many people, it would be a lot easier to have things happening every day (or at least, every few days)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:23 pm 

If someone is in their private instance of the City, would they show up in the count at Nexus?

I always find stuff to do down there. I do miss a number of my friends who suddenly aren't around, and a couple more who've found other forums to hang in. A lot of names I see on the forums I never see online.

Anyway, they'll all flood back when the time is right! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:38 pm 

HCIdivision17 wrote:
Songe wrote:

This makes sense actually...

Whoa. That many?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:09 am 

Romer Openfield wrote:
If someone is in their private instance of the City, would they show up in the count at Nexus?

No.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:31 am 

Much is happening in the city and the restoration effort, i can feel the change in the air, often on a dig or excavation there are times when the ?big wheels? or the ex. ops and dig leaders are confering and figuring out where to put the resources and energy and where to lay the nxt grid. this busy and slow rythymn is very favmilar. I have much I am thinkinhg about and researching, the lake light and other ecological phemonemon, observations in the pods, watching the remarkable life forms in there, testing the various D'ni mechanisms which have so miraculously maintained their integrity, thinking of how the linking system works, andalso studying the history of the D'ni and their remarkable culture, they arew a "cultural island" ans as such offer unique and faxcinating insights into how an insular society evolves. This is nto to say they had no contactt with other culturs, but it appears from reseach of the existing sources that they had a cultural viewpoint that did not include regular exchange and interaction with other cultures, "trade" so to speak, which is often an very nceseccary element in the long term survival and vitality of any civilization. Though they felll from a single incicdent their culture was vulnerable, Google "water monopoly civilizations" for insights into that.

And the Bahro what an intribuing role they play, the DRC interaction and work with their limited access to the Bahro and Phil's and Sharpers' experiences are some of our only data on this. Much Much to consider and to work with. I am heading down now.

"We Build Worlds"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]