It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:50 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just found this while using Riveal to dig through the textures of Myst Online:

Yup, looks like there was supposed to be a third icon on the bottom of the screen besides the "quit" and "configurations" icons... and it looks A LOT like the calendar island. I presume that, since they knew that Uru might not live on, they decided not to implement it when we got the twelfth spark... what do you think it was going to be used for? Greydragon, care to shed any light on this subject?

Last edited by joaopedro on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

:o So the theory that it would link to the Shaft could still be valid! I still think the symbol looks like the volcano with a shadow around it.

On the other hand, it's a new GUI texture, which implies that it's some sort of new function that can be used everywhere. Don't know what that could be though.... Perhaps you could have called a Bahro with that button to link you away to some place. :P

EDIT: I've just noticed something. There is a spiral shown inside the volcano, which isn't there on the symbol we saw in MOUL. So the spiral is an addition, which could only mean (I think) it represents a link to the inside of the volcano!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Actually, Erik, I think you're right on both accounts. My theory: it's a configurations button which allows for setting up access to the GoW books (player-created ages) which would obviously require more than just a linking book placed in the cavern. IC, perhaps they were to be placed in the Great Shaft where explorers fleeing the Bahro could easily find them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:59 pm 

I think the Great Shaft idea is interesting...

I dunno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:07 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I seriously doubt they would use a game interface tool to perform a function of story like that. In other words, a link to the caldera would still be a traditional in-world element such as a link bubble, book, stone, portal, etc. But if I were to stretch the interface toward something more loosely coupled, I would not limit it to one age. I'd bring up a list of all the ages I've gained access to through traditional means so I could directly choose where to go from anywhere else without Relto or the Nexus, except for ages like public Ae'gura with population caps.

Tai'lahr posted after I started this one. I really like her idea of access to GoW ages. My only question is why it would require one year to get to them if, in fact, the interface were to become available only after Sparklie Island is completed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
I'm not entirely sure what GoW book have to do with the great shaft. They seem like mutually exclusive. I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you. I would love to see both GoW books as well as access to the great shaft, but the facts just don't add up. Here is my reasoning:

1) I don't think that t is a link to the great shaft or anywhere else for that mater, because if Cyan implemented such a thing, they wouldn't put it down by the configuration panel. Must likely have you link there when you entered the calendar circle and then give you the option to pick up links once you got there, much like how K'veer was released. Why give it an icon?

2) The GoW book access has merit because I could see it being implemented in such a way. The bookshelf is only so big. The problem is that I couldn't see Cyan saying that new explorers wouldn't me allowed to access fan ages for a full year.

This is a puzzle. Maybe it allows you to alter relto in some way. Differently that how you do with relto pages. Like maybe you can rearrange things. Changes that have to be described vs. just turned on and off.

Now that I think about it, wasn't there a set ages that had a spiral as its symbol. I think it was the pod ages with the portals. Maybe there was more to the pods! :shock:

EDIT: Shoot, JWPlatt beat me to it. Sorry for the double post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:48 pm 

I think that if you got all the sparklies, it would allow you to adjust brightness & contrast, and not just gamma. Too bad it was never implemented.

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

it looks to me more like a "switch" for the Ki light (that never worked properly)... to allow you to see in very darkened places

and ...

uʍop ǝpısdn ʇsod uɐɔ l 'sǝʎ

Ki # : 02037973

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:04 am 

It's the Joey Zoonishii button.

I have the goods on this one. Cyan actually wanted a part of the interface devoted to me. Clicking on that would tell you what kind of ice cream I like.

~J'iced J'eam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:09 am 

Perhaps it was going to be part of a "replay" function? (ie select a month and it sets things to the state they were in that month, perhaps with NPCs?)

Actually I think the GoW thing is probably most convincing since that seemed to be the direction being headed in.

Interesting find whatever it was.

Seeker of the journey...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:41 am 

would also explain why the symbol wasn't released. The Guilds were only supposed to take precedence in Season 2... so they'd have no need to implement the icon XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:44 am 

In all actuality, now that I look at it, A similar simbol gives us moons & sun. Maybe, completing the calendar would give us seasons. Or maybe, the control just turned the fireworks off. Don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
That's the real kicker, the fact that it's a change unlike any we've seen. We've had additions to the ki before. We've have a way to control links. We have a way to turn things off and on in relto. This is something else. Something unique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Create a New Age Button?

Volcanic Eruption Button?

Don't Cancel Uru Live Button...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:58 am 

It was probably the latter one. If only they had enabled it. :(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next