It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

I figured it was an animated texture trick when I read they'd managed them.

however.. I wonder if that class or something similar is in the current plasma version? I mean, not as a bink input (Myst 5 needed it for all sorts of things, not least of which was faces). Perhaps it can do an animated image for the closeup book? Hmmm.... They did splice a lot of M5 stuff back...
And GD did say we haven't seen everything in it yet.. :D

No matter, I consider that secondary. It's the KI interface that's my main concern. That and more showing up of DRC members. Not just in press-conferences, but just showing up to hang out or such. Nick White was the best example.. and the ResEngs were good at it too. The time Marie was the most real to me was when she showed up late at night in the city, unable to sleep, and full of realistic doubts. But we never really saw anyone else outside of big events... before or after the episode change. Prologue was a bit different apparently.. and I think it was a bit of a loss to go from that.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:23 am 

There is a class for playing movies in the Uru Plasma. It's what is used to play the intro at the beginning of the cleft, you can even look at the python file for the Cleft and see that it checks to see if the intro was played before or not.

However, that class is used to fade out from the game, play the movie, and fade back in again. As I said, useful for trying to do Flyby linkins.

But the the books, the python files for it are the set up, and can not use animated textures in the BookGUI pop up, hence the static linking panel. Trying to use the gMovie class that Plasma has won't work, because, it's not set up to play in a small window over the BookGUI, and then loop.

I imagine that someone might be able to do some sort of hex editing to make it happen, but then it would only be good for that person. You wouldn't be able to use it with your fan Ages, as we (GoW) have an unwritten rule that says: "Thou Shall Not Distribute Game Files" meaning we can share the Age files we make, but not the actual game files.

There ARE a lot of things that are in the Myst V Plasma version that I would love to use for Uru, the way Noloben is lit up is a good example of that.
But that gets into the whole "finding another game engine for Uru type discussion" and this thread was asking what you'd like to see in a new MOUL/UU.

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:01 am 

Wow! I didn't realize all the complexities of making a linking book video LOL! :lol: It would be awesome if Cyan did a way to implement movable images though!

I agree that the KI needs some work. I don't mind the way it looks now per se, but I really think it needs to be simplified and made easier to navigate. I also agree that more backstory should be added into the game and that we should start at the cleft again. I always liked the idea of starting there; made the story seem more real.

Keep up all the great ideas and thanks for posting! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:45 am 
Obduction Backer

About linking panels, I think RAWA said they are indeed supposed to show the other side in real time, but the swooshing fly-bys were artistic license.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, and static link panels in Uru was technological limitation, because they couldn't make it load multiple things at once that way.

And Andy, I meant if animated ones are in the MOUL version of the code. I think I read a post by you before about not getting it in CC etc.. but MOUL has spliced code everywhere and modified stuff. It could have animated panels for all we know.

Didn't know the python did it, but not terribly surprised. I haven't looked that in-depth in yet.

However... that does kinda make a good point, to go back onto topic ("Topic? What's that?")... I think if Cyan is going to let us make ages for the game, we need documentation on features. I mean, actual stuff. Even if they give an age documentation, we'd need engine capabilities. Animated link panels is one simple thing. (I wonder.. if '2 ages' are really one using an in-age link faked as seperate age.. could you have a real-time link-panel by changing the book itself? Eventually, I mean?)
But documentation on capabilities and a few details. Enough to work with.

Now I see though why they said specifically to write ages where the D'ni have never been.. that way we won't step on their thematic toes and above all won't need to ask questions over every detail we need.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Another thing I want to see: your KI coorinates displayed on the screen when you just have the chat function up. Having to stop, open the KI, and check where you were got very irritating during To D'ni and POTS. (obviously not the GameTap version, where To D'ni seems to have completely disappeared, besides having the Great Zero still there.

And that was my mistake on how the animated links worked, I was using my limited knowledge of things and assuming a few things.

The whole "finding yourself in a room with two doors" thing is beginning to sound like Portal. (without even the slightest hint at cake, unfortunately.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:11 am 

I have an idea,for everyone:

You arrive at the desert.From far away,you can see the volcano.Far,far away.The volcano is very small from here.This is another "map",not the same one as the regular cleft one,there is the same ground,shrubs around you,few rocks,sun and sky,but there is no cleft,zendi's trailer and the volcano is seen from far away.This place s public.Everyone who joined the game and was yet to take a relto book is here.If you go towards to volcano,you will slowly disappear,and you will arrive at the regular cleft,in a privet version.There is everything as before: the puzzle,the DRC messege on the chair,everything.O.K? you arrive there with no linking,the dissapearing is just a way to get to the privet version,and also make your walk to the volcano shorter.

Beyond the appearing point in the regular cleft map,there is a little torn in the fence,just beyond you.You can come back to the public desert map through it.You just walk through it,and you will disappear and appear (again,no linking) in the public place you have started in (away from the volcano).

If you want to go to any other direction than to the volcano (in the public place),well,you can't.You will just stop while walking.Any other thing (fence) will just look stupid.Believe me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:56 pm 

I would like to see the saffolding in Ahnonay become real.

I would like a relto page of water. I am thinking of our waterfall could start fill our relto with water once we get relto page of water that could take a couple of months to full it up.

I would like the ability to swim and go under water that might lead us under water passage water way that cloud lead us to another area or/and age.

Let us explore outdside of the pods.

I would like to know what that brown door lead in the moon room in Kadish Tolesa.

I would like to see the owners of the bevin have the rights edit their own bevin name from their own avi name to cooler name something like The Goonies' bevin.

I remember a quote from The Goonies movie that goes well with Myst Online URU Live. "Goonies never say die." I want URU back and take off like a rocket.

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:47 pm 

Lol. I think if URU Live had this in mind, maybe a 2nd button in Kadish's Ahnonay study could open the farthest window and extend the balcony. However, what I want to see more than anything in URU is a pic of Sphere 4 in its proposed construction, or Kadish himself-I think he looks like Senator Palpatine before he turned old and pale. I vote for my Relto to look like Mr. Henderson's. Yeah, maybe the middle of a pod could contain a ladder leading outside of it. 0fullmetal0, did you say "cake"? Don't tell me: you played Portal, didn't you?! :lol: Some dork said the same thing just before URU's shutdown, and Dad laughed his head off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:33 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Besides my previous posts about a Relto link bubble to the Caldera, the Great Shaft fully implemented, and a supported system of fully implemented user content, I would also like to see:

A KI that works! With unlimited, buffered, and scrollable chat windows for standard and user-definable groups.
JPGs that work!
The freedom to move my mouse outside the Uru client window without extraordinary measures.
The freedom to set Num-Lock however I please.
The freedom to set gamma however I please without limitation.

And...

The one and only Bevin! Plus Serat and Kirel. With the rest called Neighborhoods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:12 am 
Obduction Backer

I second JWP and humbly add:

A much larger capacity for KI images

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:24 am 
Obduction Backer

as far as the KI goes...
how about the ability to create special groups of buddies
the ability to close groups and have them stay closed even when the KI lists change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:06 pm 

greypiffle wrote:
as far as the KI goes...
how about the ability to create special groups of buddies
the ability to close groups and have them stay closed even when the KI lists change.

Amen that. I and many others have brought this up 100s of times before, but for deaf ears. Now we can at least see in Second Life how extremely well multiple groups can work. That is what I too wish for the next incarnation of MOUL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Another thing that would be fun to see: day/night cycles in other Ages (the one on Eder Gira was okay, but I was thinking more like the ones in RealMyst, but each Age has it's own unique cycle length, to give more of an illusion that you're not on Earth anymore.) It'd be especially nice to see in Gahreesen, Jalak Dador, Er'Cana, and the brief glimpse of the outdoors in Ahnonay. And more varying weather patterns would be interesting too. (weather puzzles, that might be fun, but more than something like the fireflies on Eder Kemo)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7