It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hardcore-o-meter.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:00 pm 

How hardcore are the puzzles in Uru? I've never really been too awesome at the myst series and it usually takes me a LONG time and the occasional FAQ to beat edit: the medium puzzles. (I'm not that bad :D

But I love it, and I think I'll love Uru.

Will me being bad at puzzles slow down a group of people's progression into an age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well... it kind of depends on the Age, sometimes. A couple of the Ages have fairly simple puzzles, while some of the puzzles in other Ages are borderline psychosis-inducing ;).

Generally speaking, puzzle-driven Ages are and likely will continue to be private, so you'll be able to bang your head against the wall as much as needed without slowing anyone else down, but if you adventure in groups, I've found that cooperative thinking often produces results more quickly than trying to muddle through it yourself. I wouldn't worry about slowing a group down by being bad at solving difficult puzzles. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:23 pm 

Alahmnat wrote:
psychosis-inducing ;).

*cough*Kadish*cough*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

The best part of Uru Live is that if you get stuck on a puzzle, there are hundreds of other explorers that can help you! Just pop into the City, ask for some help, and someone will be able to join you in your Age.

Cheers,
- Deg -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:28 pm 

Puzzles tend to be highly individual. Some people just waltzed right through areas that stopped me cold. I figured out Riven without help but some puzzles in Uru I never did figure out.

Deg is right: in a multi-player game, when you get stuck you can yell for help. That's what Greeters are for. :) Whether they're formal Greeters or helpful souls met along the journey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

I play adventure games, but I've always bad at the puzzles, particularly the logic puzzles. I do better with inventory puzzles, which Cyan games do not have.

Uru Live isn't out yet, but I can comment on the puzzles in solo player Uru as well as the puzzles in the previous online version of Uru. I thought the puzzles in the previous versions of Uru were quite hard, except for the puzzles in the cleft. Some ages were easier then others, but in general I thought the puzzles were hard. Part of this was due to my admittedly lazy approach to playing Uru (and other adventure games), as well as my time contraints. Gone are the days when I would play with a puzzle for a long time, hoping to figure something out. I also don't take notes, outside of a game. As adventure game playing puzzle afficianados know, the way to solve logic puzzles is to take notes and draw diagrams - that sort of thing.

So, you can't be worse than me, and I know I'm not the only one. There are other people who aren't puzzle types who played and enjoyed the previous versions of Uru!

The good news - the previous versions of Uru were wonderful, even if you weren't a puzzle person. There was also plenty of help, in terms of people to help you, in game, and threads where you could ask for and get help. Walkthroughs were also available. I'll make a point of posting links to any walkthroughs that are available (and they will be). People don't have to look at them, if they don't want to. For those who want to - using hints, help or walkthroughs can make the difference between a wonderful game experience and a terrible game experience.

I'm also hoping that in the shiny new version of Uru Live, there will be more stuff to do that doesn't involve logic puzzles. Hey, a person can hope!

You know, playing Uru or any game is "all about you". The goal is to maximize your enjoyment, your fun, your game playing experience. So yes, I think that there will be plenty of room for puzzle types, "sort of" puzzle types, and non puzzle types. When Uru Live is released - just come on into the game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:50 am 

Ah, well I'm certainly excited for Uru Live then.

I got myself a year of gametap, and I signed up for the beta a long time ago and still havn't got my email.

I'm excited to solve puzzles with a group of friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:05 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

What I like best about solving Ages with other people is that it gives me even more immersement of being there and "tackling" the environment, or rather "fully experience" it.

If you look at your surroundings closely, which can be easier exchanging observations amongst your group, you tend to realize what an artefact/machine or other "thing" is about, how it works, what it's function is in an environment.
You can even forget that you are actually solving a puzzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:24 am 
Obduction Backer

I certainly hope there will be lot of logic puzzles. I think thats the heart of Myst!
I really dont like the kind of puzzles where you have to jump in a very specific way to solve the thing. Like the relto page in the garden age. Or where you depend on motor coordination skills with an avatar that cant grab things. Like the basket placement thing
So lets get a lot of nice logic puzzles where you have to use brain power, not "keyboard power".
I would be great with logic puzzles that should or better could be solved in a group.

But dont be afraid JustinSane. Everybody uses hint guide sometimes. Even if they say they dont do so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:39 am 

I would say that the puzzles in Uru *might* be considered hardcore, in that there are places where the whole blanged place is an uber-puzzle.

That said, there is nothing unfair about any of them. They all have clues, they all work as you'd expect once you figure out the trick. Some can be solved by brute force if you miss the clue.

The fiendish thing about Uru is that you have to put yourself in completely different brain spaces for different situations. Often they work you up into a complicated frenzy and then throw something at you that's so simple you want to bludgeon yourself for overthinking it. If you speak to almost any Uru veteran, you can make them flinch by saying "Teledahn Bridge." That's part of the fun of the puzzles -- you will solve them if you keep trying stuff and keep your eyes open. Cyan is great with puzzles that are designed to take you through that ultimate frustration until suddenly you hear a click and go "AHA!"

That said, there's Kadish Tolesa. The background story for this age is that Kadish is the mad genius of puzzlemaking and every single one is designed deceptively to have an obvious solution which is absolutely the wrong thing to do. Luckily there's an entire museum full of hints for this. It's astoundingly brilliant, because you get to know exactly who he is by unriddling his puzzles, and in my opinion this sequence, culminating in Ahnonay, is the pinnacle of Adventure gaming.

Fifteen minutes???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:22 pm 

Man, you folks have really pumped me up for this game.

Could someone elaborate on how the housing works?

And is there in-game currency?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

There really isn't housing per se... each player gets their own instance of an Age called Relto to call their own. You can add pages to this Age's linking book which add objects to the scenery, like a waterfall, or a tree which grows over time.

There also isn't any in-game currency. It's an extremely level playing field... no currency, no leveling, just exploring with others or by yourself and participating in the story to the extent you're comfortable with :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:17 pm 

I believe some people at Cyan have said that if there ever will be an economy, it will be totally unlike anything we know...

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:24 pm 

Do trees really change over time?

And is it possible to visit other people's islands?

Are there any group activites in Uru other than helping eachother out with puzzling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

The only tree that grows presently is the one you add to Relto using one of the extra pages. You can invite others to join you on your Relto, and also in your own instances of the puzzle-driven Ages, and can similarly be invited to other people's Reltos.

As far as group events go, a lot of stuff has sort of become established tradition in the existing interim online-ready version of Uru (Until Uru), which is based on the old Uru Live code from 2003. There are the annual D'ni Games, a sort of unofficial D'ni olympics that pit you against other players in friendly competitions based on in-game activities. I don't know if that will be continuing in Live though... it depends on how many events are still possible with the new physics setup. There's usually something going on in the City in the evenings, and sometimes there'll be events in various neighborhoods.