It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
"The statement is simply that we have not given any such official permission or approval or sanctioning. "

Hi Chogon,

Thx for your completely unclear explanation,

Sorry but i don't understand it at all,
Yes, I am Dutch,
English is not my native language therefore i can't read behind the lines and only guess for hidden feelings.

I will explain,

In the Netherlands everything with "no official permission" on one side,
and "no sanctioning " on the other side,

IS ALLOWED!!! (for the time being)

Our saying is "looking through the fingers."

So my interpretation is:
Use of Drizzle and rogue shards is allowed until something happens which make things run out of hand.
In that case another statement from Cyan (with new directions) will follow.

Is this what you mean?

I know,
this is a direct question.
Cyan is not good in answering direct questions.

But this has to be clear.
.. at least to me.

How do i score with this interpretation on a scale from 1 to 5? (where 1 is better)
2 or 3? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:03 pm 

the way copyright works is as follows in short:

if rights are not defended and identified and spoken of, they can be lost or violated. They are making this clear, in the nicest way possible. Common sense can guide us easily as can courtesy and patience. Yes patience. Yes I have waited too, since 2004 for times, and things that are valuable and good in life are worth respecting and wiating for. Lets be patient and be glad they are working to help us return to the Cavern. They dont have to do that, it is a gift and an honouring of the community love of the world of the D'ni. So lets keep kind and courteous and wait for events to unfold. There is no need to try to analyze in detail things we dont know, dont own and dont control. lets enjoy what we do have and will have when the time comes.

Shorah and Peace and thanks.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

@denDwaler:
2 ("gedoogbeleid")

I know the word "gedoogbeleid" is difficult to explain, but those who visited Amsterdam or the Netherlands will know what it means. :wink:

But serious, I think you explained it very well.
If I am wrong I am sure others will correct me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

It takes me forever to remember how to do the quote thing so here goes...

CrisGer Wrote:
Quote:
So lets keep kind and courteous and wait for events to unfold. There is no need to try to analyze in detail things we dont know, dont own and dont control. lets enjoy what we do have and will have when the time comes.

There you have it in the proverbial nutshell....Be nice and play well together...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Eleri, nice post. As a Maintainer I would say more but well, if you look on our forum in the General section you will see we seem to somehow have become villains for agreeing with your sentiments. To me, not speaking for the Maintainers, Uru is Cyan Worlds IP and as such they and no one else have the right to decide these issues. Thanks Chogaon for the clarification but more so for the hints at more news to come. Shorah everyone.

Lightkeeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:00 am 

I have a question or questions I would like to ask Cyan if they would humor me for a moment. The answers, not necessarily required by us mind you, may help all sided of the issue

What the Myst community is doing with Drizzle the offline KI and the shards is this somehow going to effect Cyan on a financial level somewhere down the line and further delay open Source, and what can we as a community do to help?
That is after all what a community does, get together and help each other, and like it or not Cyan is part of that community.
Considering drizzle the shards and the offline KI is being used as a Uru Live supplement is the Uru Live supplement we are using delaying what we have been waiting for. Is their some middle ground or an agreement that can be reached by all side's?

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:59 am 

jek wrote:
Uru is Cyan Worlds IP and as such they and no one else have the right to decide these issues.
Lightkeeper

Wow LK, truer words could not be spoken. I have been watching the dog that bites the hand that feeds it for a long time now and the sooner we stand behind Cyan and their efforts the better off URU and its community will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:07 am 
Obduction Backer

CrisGer wrote:
the way copyright works is as follows in short:

if rights are not defended and identified and spoken of, they can be lost .

Um, CrisGer: that is untrue. Copyright is owned by the person that created it, regardless of if they speak about it. Copyright cannot be lost, unless said person makes it public domain, explicitly. Note: by "Public Domain" I do not mean allowing people to randomly edit things, so, in no way shape or form will drizzle cause Cyan to have given up their work to be Public Domain.

Trademarks, however, can become "generics" but, this is not necessarily purely through unauthorised use, either. For example, a Pepsi advertisement saying "Pepsi, better than Coca-Cola/Coke." will not make Coca-Cola/Coke more "generic" infact, it actually strengthens the Coca-Cola/Coke trademark.

As as side note: content produced by a US Government employee created during the course of their duties, is automatically Public Domain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:45 am 
Obduction Backer

What is all the fuss about?

Shards, Drizzle? In the end all this will only strengthen Cyan when they eventually decide to blow the horn.
We will all swarm in like lil bees to honey, I'm sure.

Yes, copyrights are broken, strictly speaking. But Cyan does not take action against this, because they have already promised the game to the fans.

What about the exiled community in, say, . SecondLife? We are 'borrowing' textures like crazy from Uru. Are we doing a bad thing?

Despite all arguments, I fail to see that this debate is about anything but being either the right or the wrong Uruite.
And this point of view is not going to strengthen the community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:14 am 

sideshow118 wrote:
Ah, an offical forum posting promising an offical update soon! I feel like Homer Simpson in front of a Hot Doughnuts sign that just blazed to life. Hummmm. Declicious glazed Uru town hall meeting. Drooollll. :lol:

lol nice.

~Yeesha~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:07 pm 

I was wondering..would it be possible to have the Town hall meeting in Dni?

Perhaps Cyan could set up a server with just the one Age, a quicky download, set up, log in type thingy.

: dodges flying objects:

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
I would imagine that setting up one age or all of them would make little difference. There's no server at the moment. Plus can you imagine the lag with all of us crammed into the same space? :lol:

I would imagine that it will be hosted on CyanChat, if it is to be live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:29 pm 

with what I know about servers....it seemed like a good idea

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
I apologize, I wasn't directing anything at you. I was just thinking back to when there were big gatherings in the cavern during MOUL and it would bring the system to a grinding halt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:48 pm 

denDwaler... I would give you a 2.5 on understanding.

But a 5 on saying what it means. :) The word 'allow' in this case is what Cyan must convey is a not the case. They are probably just trying to protect their ownership in the game. They may not really have any intention of discussing what anyone is actually doing.

"I know nnnnnnoooothiiiiiing! But using our stuff is not permitted."

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next