It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:40 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Drizzle
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:03 pm 

i understand your concern about the rogue shard destroying Uru on Cyan. But Drizzle is only concern about merging with Myst,Riven,Exile, Revolation, and End of Ages with the Uru Complete Chronicles.

Post subject: Re: Drizzle
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

JimQ101 wrote:
i understand your concern about the rogue shard destroying Uru on Cyan. But Drizzle is only concern about merging with Myst,Riven,Exile, Revolation, and End of Ages with the Uru Complete Chronicles.

You can't merge Myst/Riven/Exile and Revelation into Uru, those games are pre-rendered not realtime 3D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:31 pm 

Yes, the best you could do would be to put them all into one big folder with a .BAT script that makes them all play in order :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quickly someone go and do that. Then play through the whole thing while recording it and occasionally mentioning a few amusing anticdotes and post the whole thing to youtube to keep us distracted until something actually happens.

so you think I'd understand.

Post subject: Re: Drizzle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:25 pm 

Tweek wrote:
JimQ101 wrote:

You can't merge Myst/Riven/Exile and Revelation into Uru, those games are pre-rendered not realtime 3D.

Though it would be a great experience to be able to play all the games as one :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:52 pm 

Personally from a business point of view I feel Cyan needs to focus their effort on something more profitable, until they figure out why Uru Live failed over at UBI and GameTap and how they can prevent it from happening a third time. They can only do that when they have reestablished themselves well enough to dedicate some time to a nonprofitable project. Its not surprising to me anymore why they seem to be procrastinating on Uru live. Between the economy and Game tap dropping Uru Live and eliminating a good chunk of income for Cyan in the process at this point I would be surprise if we ever do Get back into the Caverns. and even if we don't its not the end of the world or the end of Cyan. Uru is an idea and an idea is something you can not kill.

See you in the Real World

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm hoping that more time will be used for a positive outlook than the negativity I'm reading here. If a few 'rogue' shards want to to get a bad taste in their effort, so be it. All that has happened here is that a few people wanted URU back 'so bad' they took it upon themselves to make it so....No one, in my opinion, has gone over the edge. Of course, what is my opinion anyway?. Nothing to be feared, nothing to be revered, and for sure, nothing that will make any difference?

If Cyan really wants this to continue, they will make it so...In the mean time, I see no problem with the shards that are out there....It will change back to their 'control' when the source becomes available...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Although I haven't read through the whole thread, I would just like to make a quick comment. I think, regarding the rogue shards thing, the issue is that some shards were implying they had Cyan's go ahead which is definitely NOT the case. I personally think running the shards is a bad idea, though I'm not sure why Cyan doesn't just start up UU again until they are able to release OS. It would seriously decrease a lot of the negativity, "rogue" actions, and just generally keep the community around longer. Especially considering we are still getting new people to these forums looking for the online game only to find nothing.

I am not suggesting that UU should be a replacement for OS, and certainly all the MOUL content would be lost in this scenario, but having something, even if it is smaller than it used to be, would certainly be better than nothing. No?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:01 pm 

I just wish I could get Drizzle and Uru TpotS working. My PC its so outdated at this point Im gonna hafta wait until I get a new one and the way the economy is going that aint gonna happend for a while. So say hello to the Barho for me. and tell them to stop stealing my tomatoes if they want some all they hafta do is ask

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:53 pm 

Quote:
Personally from a business point of view I feel Cyan needs to focus their effort on something more profitable, until they figure out why Uru Live failed over at UBI and GameTap and how they can prevent it from happening a third time.

Well I think we all know the variety of reasons it failed. My understanding is that Cyan is done trying to make it into a successful business venture-- Ubisoft saw the risk and pulled the plug early. Gametap let it run for a year then decided it wouldn't work for the same reasons Ubisoft did; the difference is Uru actually had a chance the second time, and it still failed. If Cyan Worlds and Rand have any business sense at all, they'll move on to paying projects that have a future. And that's exactly what they're doing now.

Any incarnation we see of Uru from now on will be aimed at the fans who still want the game, and will probably not be an attempt to turn a profit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
I always thought the reason Uru failed twice was pretty obvious - nobody knew about it! Promotion was terrible - I didn't even find out about it until halfway through UU, and even then it was only because it was mentioned on the Ubisoft messageboards!

I have met Myst fans on SL, and they told me they would've played Uru if they had known about it.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
have met Myst fans on SL, and they told me they would've played Uru if they had known about it.

Were they true Myst fans?...From day one?...It makes a big difference...I, for one did not even know about Myst until after my brother bought my issue of Riven for me for Christmas...Obviously, I was still involved with lesser games...LOL. Then, after playing Riven for a year, I decided to learn more about CYAN...Only then did I even hear about MYST....So, yes, the advertising was at least, worse...

I bought Exile and then 'heard' about URU....I wasn't totally sold on the idea of a 'glorified' chat line so I opted out....

Since all that time...I have been totally immersed with the whole MYST/URU endeavor (project)...bought Revelations and End Of Ages...I'll never give up....until the newer comps won't support it anymore...Darn 'Planet of the Apes' movie anyway...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:19 am 
Obduction Backer

Gandhar wrote:
Were they true Myst fans?

I don't mean to single out Gandhar specifically, but I'm really getting tired of this "true fan" crap. Either you are a fan or your not. Some people are bigger fans than others, perhaps, but everyone who enjoys any part of the Myst/Uru story is a "true fan". What does that make people who are not "true fans"? Fake fans? No.

It is obvious that promotion for Uru (and honestly, all the Myst games since Riven) has been sub-par. Because of that, it is natural that only the bigger fans would have heard about these releases early enough for them to participate in. But whether or not they kept track of all the latest developments has nothing to do with whether or not they are fans. It's crap like this that separates the community and causes some of the problems we face now.

I apologize for my little rant, and I understand that Gandhar merely meant to say that only those people who stayed up to date on everything would have had the opportunity to get into the online versions of Uru. I'm just very disappointed with the current state of the community and things like separating "true fans" from everyone else only makes it worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:45 am 
Obduction Backer

*nods at Drakmyth* I didn't ever get into Uru prologue, didn't become a solid member of the D'niverse community until just before Until Uru started. Someone want to claim that I'm not a 'true fan'?

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oops!! Sorry about that...I didn't mean to insult anyone with my statement. I merely meant exactly what Drakmyth stated.

Quote:
I understand that Gandhar merely meant to say that only those people who stayed up to date on everything would have had the opportunity to get into the online versions of Uru

Again, I apologize if I insulted anyone. Sincerely, it was unintentional...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next