It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:12 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Okay... but if you have to go out of your way to find Uru, then the majority aren't going to know. Yes, we have a large base of "die-hard" fans, but it (obviously) isn't going to be enough to sustain it. Uru needs to attract "casual fans" as well.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

TY TOOO then the majority aren't going to know...very well orchestrated.//

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:47 pm 

i have to agree that the lack of decent promotion was always a problem for uru, both by ubisoft and gametap (although gametap at least gave it a shot). that said, i think cyan's stance is pretty clear and not open to creative interpretation. none of the stuff is authorized or approved by them, and yes, i would venture to say that includes the stuff on second life. i doubt cyan is going to send a cease and desist on the sl stuff, but it is still unauthorized use of their ip and a violation of copyright.
i know people get tired of hearing it, but again, we just have to wait. back when prologue was shut down by ubisoft, many of us (includng me) thought that was the end of uru online. after myst 5 was released and cyan was literally going out of business a lot of people (including me) that it was the end of all of it. cyan didn't die, uru came back. don't count them out. as long as cyan is still around, we will be back in the cavern. as for myself, i *finally* got a copy of uru cc and have been playing through it. i only ever had uru prime and had gotten "to d'ni!" when it was released as a free expansion. it was very hard to play it alone after being in prologue and i never finished, and it was lost in a hard drive crash a long time ago. now i'm running through cc slowly, taking time to look around since to this day i still find things i never noticed before. i am doing the same with myst 5 since it's been a long time since i played it.
oh, and i was a huge myst fan back in the day (yes, i still am), and i still only heard about uru about a month or so before prologue went online because of a tiny piece in some game magazine that mentioned it in passing.

Post subject: A bad relationship
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:09 am 

I feel like I'm stuck in a bad relationship!

I was always a game behind, couldn't afford the games new. By the time I started playing Myst, Riven had come out. The good part of this was, there were lots of people who could answer my questions about Myst. The bad part was, of course, I was an observer for the new discussions - afterall, who the fiery abyss is Gehn to someone who's still picking up red & blue pages?

When I started Uru, therefore, Online was over. I NEVER experienced it, except as Until Uru - whoop-tee-doo! I went on to finish the series, and then had the best Cyan experience ever - I was a beta-tester for MOUL! I was finally caught-up.

Of course I signed up for GameTap and played, as much as my strained marriage would allow. And then it was gone.

And then there was MORE - or was that a figment of my imagination? I was TOLD there was MORE - but I never actually saw it. Am I behind again?

And then, Cyan announced they would release their code...................................did they ever? But the Guilds shouted 'Hurrah!" and got to work and got ahead of Cyan. And Cyan pulled on the reins, shouted 'Whoa, there! You didn't say mother-may-I.'

It seems to these non-techie ears that Cyan doesn't know WHAT the fiery abyss it wants - accept to keep us around for a little while longer, 'cause we're Myst's only loyal boyfriend. And here we are again, still stuck in this god-awful relationship with a game we love, and the game's father alternately inviting us in and setting the hounds on us!

I'm so tired of caring and being trampled. The fact that I'm still here shouldn't make Cyan proud but ashamed - look what you've done to me, I'm darn near neurotic. And still in love with Myst. fiery abyss, look what you've done to Myst?

Only those who risk going too far can ever know how far one can go. - T.S. Eliott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:03 pm 

I thought I was the only one loosing my mind over this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:51 am 

"So come on let me knoooowww...

Should I stay or should I go?"

If you think you understand quantum mechanics,
then you haven't been paying attention.

Post subject: Uh huh, uh huh....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:07 am 

....I'm feeling it! :lol: :lol:

Only those who risk going too far can ever know how far one can go. - T.S. Eliott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:21 pm 

very sad and lonely without the cavern and the people of the community. I miss you all

KI # 02256515

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

To Angustaff:

I'm wondering if there is a rap song that could be set to your post....I'm hearing it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Just as long as you're not giving Myst a bad rap. (Sorry, it was begging to be said.) :oops:

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow, this topic wasn't even on my radar but I saw that TOOO made a recent entry, so I came over.

Now all I want is for Angustaff to tell us what he really thinks about all this. NO HOLDING BACK please ! :P

And for TOOO to come back a bit more often :D /me waves Hi TOOO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:31 am 
You're running an apple stall. You won't get rich, but it's a living.

One day one of the neighbours' kids comes up and pinches an apple (not from the stall itself, from one of the boxes at the back, so it's not an apple you're actually selling at the moment). It's a poor neighbourhood, the kids don't get much to eat, and you don't want to seem mean, so you *ahem* don't notice.

What do you do when he comes back tomorrow and pinches another? What do you do when he brings a friend? What do you do when he tells all the kids at school that you don't mind kids pinching apples? You tried to be nice, but if that niceness is not accepted in the proper spirit, you could lose your livelihood. But now that you've started to let it happen, if you raise any objection, you look like the bad guy.

Cyan is being as nice about this as it can possibly be. The fact that it isn't selling these particular apples at the moment is not relevant to whether stealing them is right or wrong. They're Cyan's apples. The fact that it's nearly two years since you were last able to buy an apple, while important to you, isn't relevant to whether stealing them is right or wrong. They're Cyan's apples. The fact that you never steal apples from anyone else's stall, because you love Cyan's apples so much, isn't...well, you get the idea.

You'll never get anyone from Cyan to say "[Unnamed Uru modification] is okay with us" when that [Unnamed Uru modification] was created without full and explicit permission. That train has sailed. The only thing they can say on that subject is "[Unnamed Uru modification] is violating our IP, so stop it." They're trying very hard not to be put in the position where they have to say that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:21 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Nice story. It needs less apples and more unbrellas. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:33 pm 

Also, your story is garbage: fan Ages and conversions through Drizzle not only keep interest alive (a valuable thing for a company to have), but it actually *sells* copies of MystV, Crowthistle, and Hexisle. (You might think that everyone here would already have MystV, but I had a number of emails from people asking how they could buy it.) You're just letting your appley imagination tell you things that are contrary to business :P

This thread is mainly because Pelishard was saying that they got Cyan approval, which they did not. This thread was created right after that. And, once again, UAM (which is now a part of Drizzle) *does* have Cyan approval. If you read through this thread, you will see people interpreting as you do, and saying what you are saying. But then Cyan clarifies that they only meant that these projects are not officially approved, nothing more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Apples are not the best analogy since they're consumable.

How about a Go Cart Track? You own the track, but you can't afford to keep up the maintenance and insurance, so you close it for awhile... Some kids bring their own vehicles (that they had purchased from you before the track closed) and use the track without your permission. You know they're not going to hurt the track, so you turn a blind eye to it. But, because of liability issues, you can't give them permission or even acknowledge that you're aware they're using it. And, as long as they're quiet about it, everything is fine.

It's only when they speak about it so publicly that everyone, including you (and the insurance companies), hears about it, that you must put your foot down and say, "no" or risk losing the ability to get the track insured in the future, and therefore the potential to reopen it someday.

Does that make more sense?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next