It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:45 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:52 am 
Obduction Backer

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:55 am 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:
No one will be happy when Kodama and Sutherland come up saying "it's all gone, oh well" and Cyan announces they're never bringing Uru back. :P

Heh. Of course that would be the end, and we KNOW the ending has not yet been written....

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:06 am 

ghaelen wrote:
Whilyam wrote:
No one will be happy when Kodama and Sutherland come up saying "it's all gone, oh well" and Cyan announces they're never bringing Uru back. :P

Heh. Of course that would be the end, and we KNOW the ending has not yet been written....

"In books, and ages, and life, the ending can never truly be written"

- Atrus
(Riven)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Jamey wrote:
ghaelen wrote:
Whilyam wrote:

"In books, and ages, and life, the ending can never truly be written"

- Atrus
(Riven)

And then you die :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:26 am 

People tend to describe whatever is coming is in terms of either a Cyan run Uru or a Cyan out of it Uru. If Cyan stays with their stated plan, as Chogon said a few days ago, then it will be neither. Cyan has promised to provide their tools and code and allow those that want it, a license to use Cyan content as a foundation for their fan run and created worlds. I expect that use to carry restrictions. Cyan intends to maintain control of their content and the right to possibility to come back and do more of the story at will. I think they have made that very clear every time they have discussed or written about their intentions. But, have they come up with something else or decided not to do open source? …may be. Until I hear them say otherwise I’ll assume Chogon’s words are factual.

We have plenty of threads about what went wrong with UruWhilyam’s post (page 3) sums them up very nicely and succinctly states our current state and prospects.

Several think the fans will run Uru better than Cyan/Ubi/GameTap. I think most fans know even less about running a game than they did. Certainly a number of fans have no idea how to deal with or understand people. My only hope in a fun run Uru is that enough different approaches are tried that someone finds what works, which is why I like the idea of open source and lots of people running shards/servers.

Jamey hopes Cyan will find a balance of Cyan & fan control of the game. I’m betting Cyan wants to avoid having to deal with any of that. They’ll reserve their part of the story and let us build around the edges. If something is well done and popular, should they ever continue their part of the story they may acknowledge it and possibly include it.

Justintime9 is concerned a future Uru may turn into a Second Life. (Someone keep the alcohol away from vidkid). I don’t have that worry. I know the SL folks work to keep the part of SL Justintime9 doesn’t like out of their builds. They try to keep the PG non-violent game play, which many of us consider a basic part of Myst-Uru style. Those interested in other styles of play build in SL, Hypergrid, Team Fortress, Fallout 3, and other places. I very much see Myst Style as outbound. I don’t envision the other worlds and styles invading an Open Uru. It’s possible; I just don’t see it happening in any but isolated cases. Features from other worlds are a different thing. Better shoes, hair…

And guilds… I think we have mixed so much stuff into the idea of guilds everyone has forgotten they are just fans. Some fans have done well with guilds and others have created problems. Many people have been confused by them and few even know where the Myst-Uru Guilds came from or of the different types of guilds, historic, IC and OOC. I suggest we move to some other idea without a hierarchy. The in game IC guilds… they are part of the game… may be. People are too into trying to control things and others. Few understand how to be independent and cooperate. Leave the guilds in history.

As to Cyan deciding what can and cannot affect the main storyline… I think they made that clear already. Don’t mess with the main characters and story. Each person can build their own story. I suspect many playing their first MMO in Uru had no idea what role play was. But most of us have now played in many RPG’s and know considerably more about RP. We can create our stories and not create problems for the main story. If Cyan joins in I think that can be way fun, but I don’t see it as a necessity.

New threads on where and how to start the game are coming up again. OpenUru.org has some well thought-out ideas people have discussed and provided good reasons for why one or the other should be used. An alternate URU vision Where to Begin (The Game) Would probably be a good idea to review those and add them to your ideas here.

If the sensors tripped are really in the cafeteria… they should be connected a 9-1-1 line not a security monitor. Someone is going to need massive doses of Pepto-Bismal in a hurry.

I am curious if the DRC is still Cyan controlled. Are Laxman and others former Cyan types that are now just fans? Does Cyan control everything the IC people of the story say at DRC?

And Watson and his idea for everyone to write ages… well that totally destroyed real estate prices.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Nalates wrote:
New threads on where and how to start the game are coming up again. OpenUru.org has some well thought-out ideas people have discussed and provided good reasons for why one or the other should be used. An alternate URU vision Where to Begin (The Game) Would probably be a good idea to review those and add them to your ideas here.

I know that you're entitled to your opinion, Nalates, but we've just had maybe two days of no one arguing about which way Uru should be run. Why would you go and encourage people to start that over again?

If the cavern really is reopening, is this really the way to start? Granted, these are important topics of conversation, but please not here. Not in the forum post where we're discussing the first DRC post since April 2007. These kind of discussions always deteriorate into bickering.

Here's an idea. The first thing I'm going to do when I get into the cavern is to get as many people together as I can and throw a pod party!

What's the first thing you're going to do?

MOULagain KI #63214
Most fun I had in URU!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:34 am 
Obduction Backer

sarpedon2 wrote:
I keep thinking that if this was being funded by someone other than Cyan (since they've had a hard year and iMyst sales are hardly gonna bring that back) the it might be Apple. I wouldn't mind Apple funding Cyan and it seems logical as Cyan have been working with them to bring Myst and Riven to the iPhone and iPod.

I sense a rumor being started (or resurrected) here. Is this just speculation or do you have any evidence suggesting that “Apple has been working with Cyan” (to any greater extent than they do with all their 10000 paying iPhone developers)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:57 am 
Obduction Backer

Personally, i hope cyan means to keep some control. Else it will turn into mess too quickly.
If anyone control anything, cyan it should be.
And yeah, definitivly a good sign. See you in cavern people!
Jaygee, party sound nice :)

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:12 am 

Christian Walther wrote:
sarpedon2 wrote:
I keep thinking that if this was being funded by someone other than Cyan (since they've had a hard year and iMyst sales are hardly gonna bring that back) the it might be Apple. I wouldn't mind Apple funding Cyan and it seems logical as Cyan have been working with them to bring Myst and Riven to the iPhone and iPod.

I sense a rumor being started (or resurrected) here. Is this just speculation or do you have any evidence suggesting that “Apple has been working with Cyan” (to any greater extent than they do with all their 10000 paying iPhone developers)?

Just speculation :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Back on topic... There is a very interesting thread in the Share Your Journey section of the DRC forums, Activity in the Cavern which would seem to bear watching as much as the official DRC postings in a thread of the same name. :wink:

Oh, and this one, too: Marie Spotted. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Another interesting thing to note is this: http://twitter.com/drcsite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:

That would be a terribly cruel joke to play on us. I have too much respect for the people at Cyan for them to even think of doing such a thing.

No, Laxman's post is the real deal and it is Cyan's way to let us know that they have not forgotten their loyal fans and that MORE will be here in one form or another this year. I imagine that there will be several more postings by Laxman and other DRC characters in the coming months. It is good to hear from them again and I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation... or as I was fond of saying when I was a young lad... "My breathe smells like worms!" (i.e. "baited" breathe). :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

kaelisebonrai wrote:
Another interesting thing to note is this: http://twitter.com/drcsite

Good find! Does this mean that the DRC website will *gasp* be up-to-date from now on? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:09 pm 

Either that or someone's taken the name :P

I take only one major issue with your post, Nalates, in:
Quote:
Several think the fans will run Uru better than Cyan/Ubi/GameTap. I think most fans know even less about running a game than they did. Certainly a number of fans have no idea how to deal with or understand people. My only hope in a fun run Uru is that enough different approaches are tried that someone finds what works, which is why I like the idea of open source and lots of people running shards/servers.

Here's part of why I disagree. Compare this to Firefox. Most Firefox users have no programming experience at all/"know even less about running" a browser than Mozilla does. In terms of percentage, I'd say a larger percentage of the Uru community has the experience and talent to run this game.

Now, dealing with/understanding people? Yeah, that's a challenge. However, I'm sure the are similar people in other open source programs (Firefox developers who belligerently defend Firefox, for example). Yet, as a user, I'm not affected by that. Unless go trolling on the Mozilla forums saying "FF sucks! IE is the best!" I probably will never talk to/be affected by those people.

I think, assuming open source in some form, that we may even attract interested/out-of-work game developers interested in this new area. Similar to add-on developers in Firefox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:16 pm 

I'm speculating that Cyan will provide us with a bit of the main Story to go on, then they allow the fans to make up the rest, building around it. I think this because of the DRC's post on the DRC forums and how people are now developing it from there, even planning to add a conversation with Marie Sutherland. Not sure how this will translate into the game though,

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 23  Next