It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:28 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
Ah, Prologue and MOUL. You're considering them run by the two publishers it seems. I'd call that Cyan since it always appeared like Cyan was running the show, and I'm certain they were (with certain amounts of pressure from the publishers).

That' what I think too. I can't speak for Gametap, but I know that during the Ubi days, Cyan had essentially full creative control over the IC show.
And I would be surprised if it had been different with GT; it appeared they had great relationships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:31 am 

well, after the leak about "Uru live" coming this month, and now this, I'm beginning to think that something awesome is going to happen. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:33 am 

aloys wrote:
Gentlemen, could we please try to focus on the topic at hand and leave our personnal differences for PMs or other threads? Obviously personnal attacks are not welcome anywhere. :)
Thank you very much.

It looks like we are having some great news today, this is a time to celebrate and speculate and I forbid anyone to ruin my good mood. :)

I am looking forward to seeing how this topic on the DRC forums develops.

Edited by zam

KI#46415
KI#80658

Last edited by Jamey on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Aww man. I knew hacking internet access, through the KI, for my computers in Chloe's Hood Office was going to raise some alarm bells. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:08 am 

Let's not muddle the point by pointing fingers. The point is that an Uru exclusively dependent on subscriber fees has not worked twice in the game's history. It is nearly single-handedly responsible for Cyan burning through its reserves and nearly wiping it out twice.

I am grateful that they had the foresight to keep on their feet in this environment enough to get this out to us. I would like nothing more than being able to sit back and enjoy the fantastic Ages Cyan has produced. However, I must recognize that the demands of subscribers are too much for Uru in its present state. I must also recognize that the fans have done amazing things even without the source code.

It isn't about gratitude and it isn't about what we "owe" Cyan, neither is it about who was at fault for one tussle or another. As I have said elsewhere, we are not Cyan's friends, but nor are we their enemies. We are their clients. Like clients at a restaurant, we are there for a reason. Different things on the menu may pique our interest, but that is not a cause for division.

No matter what form Uru is returning in, the community's role in it is key and we must mature. We cannot keep fighting old wars. We cannot take criticism of Uru as a personal insult. If Uru returns in funded form, we must be open to criticism and vocal in our desire for features and fixes. If Uru returns in open source form (as I imagine it will), we take an even larger role in its survival and thus cannot afford to eat our own. The community will make or break this game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:
Let's not muddle the point by pointing fingers. The point is that an Uru exclusively dependent on subscriber fees has not worked twice in the game's history. It is nearly single-handedly responsible for Cyan burning through its reserves and nearly wiping it out twice.

I am grateful that they had the foresight to keep on their feet in this environment enough to get this out to us. I would like nothing more than being able to sit back and enjoy the fantastic Ages Cyan has produced. However, I must recognize that the demands of subscribers are too much for Uru in its present state. I must also recognize that the fans have done amazing things even without the source code.

It isn't about gratitude and it isn't about what we "owe" Cyan, neither is it about who was at fault for one tussle or another. As I have said elsewhere, we are not Cyan's friends, but nor are we their enemies. We are their clients. Like clients at a restaurant, we are there for a reason. Different things on the menu may pique our interest, but that is not a cause for division.

No matter what form Uru is returning in, the community's role in it is key and we must mature. We cannot keep fighting old wars. We cannot take criticism of Uru as a personal insult. If Uru returns in funded form, we must be open to criticism and vocal in our desire for features and fixes. If Uru returns in open source form (as I imagine it will), we take an even larger role in its survival and thus cannot afford to eat our own. The community will make or break this game.

Hear, hear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:20 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm just happy that things are looking up, no matter what form it takes.

Now I have something to look forward to!

other than retirement, that is.

Last edited by Wafna on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:21 am 

/me breaks out the chapagne, shrimp and skittles.

I'll pour and someone else can bring the non alcoholic version for the kiddies! I'm celebrating!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:22 am 

I for one am delighted to hear that someone is watching the sensor feeds.

Also nice to hear the DRC is still interested in instigating return visits.

Now if we can only find a way.......

....Tae

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:22 am 

Just a note. Those who are deriving what my feelings are about this new wrinkle from my previous posts should know that I haven't actually stated an opinion on it in anyway.

Now I will. I think it's great that something is going on. Whatever it is remains to be seen. When I see what this is, I will most likely state an opinion on it again. That is all. England prevails.

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:25 am 

Plausable deniability, BAD. I like that. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Suffice to say that we had varying degrees of positivity or negativity in our understanding of the success/failure of previous Uru incarnations. Facts are facts though.

Hopefully, the threshhold we stand in front of will be an enjoyable experience. But really, a little patience and civility would be a good idea right now. Leave the arguments of the past in the past.

Cheers!

--------------------------------

Edited by zam

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Last edited by Chuckles58 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:38 am 

Anyone else getting tired of the DRC repeatedly coming up with IC "explanations" for stuff that is clearly OOC, and has no IC connection?

The DRC days are over... the sooner we get the source, the sooner we start building our story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:46 am 

BAD wrote:
England prevails.

I was not aware you were an Englishman.
Were you behind that Jaffa Cake craze a while ago? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:51 am 
Obduction Backer

No, he's from Joisey (not the original, but the New one)

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next