It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:20 am 

I am hoping its not much of a plain social game...hoping theres stuff to do? Like what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:22 am 

Puzzles, Exploration, Rich Environments, Fan Creations, Guilds, and more to come :D

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Explore, discover things... there's puzzles and hidden places to be found. Take a deep breath, relax, and just start to look around you.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:29 am 
Obduction Backer

And once done with puzzles, we are hoping to have the source code released, so we may all write and contribute new lands and worlds to explore, and new puzzle to enjoy. Thats a challenge I can dont believe is found anywhere else! (ok, ok, others will write and contribute, I will just play and enjoy)

When not doing puzzles, or exploring, we test the boundaries of the game,and find ways to stand and climb on in game items that are not supposed to be do-able. (See threads on balcony jump and tent rope climb).

Then we organize parties, with someone podcasting music, and foucs on our own parts of the game, such as writing, or organizing message trees, or testing, etc. Different guilds contribute different aspects.

You will find a place within this world, and then never wish to leave.

Remember, the ending has not yet been written....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:09 am 

Then there's Ayoheek and Jalak and hopfully the gahreesen wall eventually, Ayoheek is a minigame like rock/paper/sciccors that you can play with people. Jalak is kind of like a sandbox, you make up your own games.

And you can collect a few things, like clothing and relto pages (additions to your homeworld), etc.

And don't forget the story, both the incredibly immense background story and any realtime interactive stories that people create. The immersive quality of the world has got to be one of it's most appealing aspects.

One word of warning, when you've never played before and you first start the game, there's a fairly overwhelming amount of options in a short period of time. Everything is kind of thrown at you at once. You start in relto, your homeworld, (at least, you did in the gametap era, I assume it's the same), and you can use the book on your shelf to find people or the book in the pillar in your front yard to start the main puzzle/adventure quest, or more probably, both. In either direction, after a short progression, you find a huge amount of content open to you. Just don't try to swallow it all at once. "Some will seek the destination, but you should seek the journey."

Last edited by Jmp12 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:16 am 
Obduction Backer

The puzzles while fun are mostly one-time things, as in you do them once and that's it. Collectables are the same. But there's a fair number. There's also a LOT of ages.. the marker runs. Etcetera.

What it all eventually comes down to is socializing. Think of it as those other social games out there.. you log in, hang with friends, chat in the city or hood or what have you. Groove together at a sudden dance party, or listen to stories in Spoken Word Night, or go skydiving in the ages with friends or just find a good place to chill and watch the sky (some ages are very pretty.. the 3 usable pods are good instances, and if we had Todelmer I'd eagerly suggest that).

You make your own stuff to do.. it seems there may even be a story going on with DRC and bahro.. while Until Uru *claimed* there was no story or new ages, we still had bugfixes by users, a story that culminated in the Great Link and the start of MOUL, and events from people all the time. Heck, it may be possible to port over some of the existing user-made ages with minimal fuss... it all depends on how much changed.

Right now we're at the start to see what's to do. The best part of that? That means all the fun's about to begin 8)

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:22 am 
Obduction Backer

For two years many of us stayed engaged with online Uru in Until Uru. No new content.

That should be different with MOULagain, once the user created ages are available in game.

Don't forget Hide N Seek and Sardines in the city.

The price is right, so give it a try. You just might like it. I was hesitant to join the online game back in fall of 2003 when the original Uru Live Prologue was just getting going. I finally was let in with barely a month before Ubisoft shut down. Let's just say that I've been hooked ever since.

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:35 am 

Mitchell, Uru was one of a series of single player Myst games. It originally was released as Ages Beyond Myst (ABM). It had an online component that was the MMOGame Uru Live. It had a story and objective. There was some social aspect to it but it is not a Facebook or Farmville.
The puzzles were complex with various levels of complexity and had ARG aspects. The trick was to solve the puzzles and move through the various ages (areas of the game). Clues were in the story and history of the D’ni an ancient people. There are numerous fan forums that deal with happenings in the game.

You can see a set of images from the game in a thread here: Uru's true beauty

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:38 am 

Mitchell wrote:
I am hoping its not much of a plain social game...hoping theres stuff to do? Like what?

Without new content, it might be a social game. However, like others have said, there are plenty of ways to avoid that (heek, marker missions, pellets). The real goal, though, is to get the source out so fans can make Ages for Uru so it's hard for the game to run out of content. Just brace yourself, there might be periods while this is waking up where it's dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:39 am 

There's another good reason not to rush through the game content too quickly, a lot of the content is really meant to be played once, and you'll eventually run out. Although, if you asked people who've been around here awhile how many times they've played through the onetime content, for various reasons, you would be shocked.

Once you've used up the game content, and all you have left is the social aspect of the game, if that doesn't satisfy you then you'll have to wait for new content from either cyan(who doesn't have the money as yet), or the fans(who don't have the ability yet). How long a wait it will be is anyone's guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 am 

I'm a total introvert--and I LOVE this game. You can do it by yourself if you want to (with a couple of exceptions from the last incarnation) or you can meet people and get to know them. I still keep in touch with people I met in URU Live--kept in touch for the last two years and will be looking for each other as soon as we can get in! You can't go wrong, especially with it being free!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Mitchell wrote:
It is not a plain social game, in that there are many hours of exploration and difficult puzzle solving to do, and all kinds of rewards hidden all over. Uru is huge, and the puzzles are never artificial or repetitve, they're unique and brilliant and grown into the very Ages you're wandering.

But it is a social game, in that there's no fighting, and no economy; the only way to compare two characters is "who's discovered more stuff?", there are no levels or classes. There's nothing to grind, nothing to fight, only tons of non-repetitive things to discover and figure out.

In the end, after dozens of man-hours of play and with LOTS of help, you'll have discovered the bulk of the current material, and if you don't have friends then you won't have much left to do, until open source gets here and some of the community-created Ages start appearing.

But the social in Uru isn't like other games, it's a party and everyone's invited. You'll see. Welcome to the cavern!

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:22 am 

One thing, vidroth. Pellets, GZ markers, and heek (to an extent) could be considered grinding.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Mitchell wrote:

There's that bar i've been trying to restore, but every time i glue it up, it falls down. And all my booze gets stolen.

Wanna be a bouncer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:
One thing, vidroth. Pellets, GZ markers, and heek (to an extent) could be considered grinding.

Well, GZ markers, there's something at the end of that and you only have to do it once.
For the others... you don't get anything for them. You can call it grinding but it's really more of OCD, because there's no reward at the end. Heck, there's as much gain from kicking firemarbles. :)

VidRoth -- KI#50637