It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Uru funding suggestion
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:40 pm 

I think that a way that Cyan Worlds can gain money from Uru Live, is that they could make a free version that you get access to all of the ages and to basic avatar cloathing (e.g. an avatar with a black shirt and jeans) and a version that you have to pay $40 for it would have access to all of the ages, any avatar clothing (e.g. an avatar with steampunk themed clothing) and limited admin rights (e.g. the ability to report foul language).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:15 am 

I really don't think people would pay $40 for the prospect of reporting profanity and better avatar clothes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Image... yeah, sorry, but I think you're right, chrissifniotis... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:58 pm 

If you have any better ideas.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Unfortunately I think we've all but proven it: if Uru needs funding to live, it won't live. The fans have all the heart in the world but there aren't anywhere near enough of us to pay for an MMO. There weren't when it first launched, and there weren't when GameTap brought it back.

So ideas for money are nice in theory, but what we need is not ways to get 5,000 people to pay a lot, but ways to find 50,000 people who are willing to pay a little.

Ideas that don't bring in 50,000 people won't solve the problem, if the goal is to make Uru a paid project.

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:45 pm 

vidroth wrote:
Unfortunately I think we've all but proven it: if Uru needs funding to live, it won't live. The fans have all the heart in the world but there aren't anywhere near enough of us to pay for an MMO. There weren't when it first launched, and there weren't when GameTap brought it back.

So ideas for money are nice in theory, but what we need is not ways to get 5,000 people to pay a lot, but ways to find 50,000 people who are willing to pay a little.

Ideas that don't bring in 50,000 people won't solve the problem, if the goal is to make Uru a paid project.

I'm wondering whether more people have become interested in puzzle related games now with not only Valve's Portal (basically like Myst with a Portal Gun) being released but also the puzzle apps on the iPod and Myst on the iPod and iPhone.

Even though FPS will always have a hold on the game market, it seems that puzzle/adventure games can still be popular, it seems that MOUL was never really had enough publicity or had enough new content to bring in more players. Uru will unlikely see funding again, and may only become an open source project, perhaps Cyan can balance themselves like Valve between shooter games and more challenging adventure games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:23 pm 

vidroth wrote:

So ideas for money are nice in theory...

Pretend to be GM and call the white house :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:39 pm 

$40 is steep, unless you were talking about the price of the game itself and not monthly payments.

Free accounts don't work anyway. Planetside had something similar, there were 'reserve' accounts, where you could play for free, but you could only reach a low level. They scrapped this though because there were so many reserve players, and most of them were satisfied with the low level and weren't interested in purchasing a full subscription.

So 'free' accounts on games like these get exploited to the point where they use up more resources than they're worth.

Quote:
Pretend to be GM and call the white house

URU needs a bailout! :P

"Life is not an easy matter... You cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness." -L. T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

given the recent comments per leaked emails, and the DRC comments about going in to the cavern on Feb 06, 2010 (just sutherland and kodama, tho), it may be time again to touch upon this subject.

My only question is, when can I pay my money, and how much? To whom should I make out my check? Or will Cyan take PayPal?

Last edited by Todoni on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:39 pm 

Player content. Players could make ages for person use, and if Cyan really liked the concepts and ideas contained in one, maybe they'd give you a period of free subscriptions in exchange for it (complete with a legal agreement). Then they take it, renovate and improve it, and make it available to all players or make it part of an expansion pack.

That way a good chunk of the workload of creating a single age would be taken off of Cyan's back, and players would be able to make their own ages, except that for personal ages the creator would probably have to host it in some way if s/he invited explorers to see it (just because of the sheer amount of personal ages there would likely be).

This way there would also be a massive pool of creativity that would introduce new ideas, concepts, designs, etc, which would give the game and the ages a much more varied nature (which is how Ages should be).

EDIT: and yeah Cyan could probably set something up with Paypal. They do business with most MMOs, and I probably wouldn't make online payments for a game which didn't use it.

"Life is not an easy matter... You cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness." -L. T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:06 pm 

You guys are all over looking the obvious solution... to make URU more profitable, we need to have profit in URU... maybe make ages filled with gold that we have to mine, have a couple dozen D'ni NPC sitting around with large block text missions for you to solve (which gives you more gold), add hunting, classes, and of course Pets... and Va-la! you have the most profitable game in the universe... WOW!

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:22 pm 

The problem Uru has always had was that it lacked publicity that could possibly help sway over typical gamers. It has remained a niche game and because of that, it has failed twice and nearly destroyed Cyan. Not saying anything is wrong with the game, but it was never handled properly publicity wise. Unfortunately Cyan, if they were to bring back a funded version of Uru, they are on what we know so far about their situation, financially unable to publicize Uru Live to an extent it would it would bring in more common gamers and more subscriptions. Though I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:49 pm 

You are right, sarpedon2. However, I don't think it's just the marketing. Uru, despite being an awesome game, wasn't awesome enough. It has lot's of things, which put away even the most avid Myst fans. For example: the graphics aren't as photorealistic as the other Myst games, there's a lot of Art rules breaking, the story is confusing, some characters are unexplained which makes them too strange, some puzzles are too easy, jumping is requiered to progress, the multiplayer puzzle game concept is unappealing for many people...

It's a question of taste: if you don't mind these little things, you will enjoy Uru. If you do, than you probably won't. I personally don't mind it that much, but I believe there's a lot, A LOT of room for fixes. That's why I hope that, for the time being, we get some sort of OpenSource.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:00 pm 

I've never-minded the fact that Uru's graphics were photo realistic, I've always enjoyed Plasma and the look of Uru. I just Cyan could re-update the textures, tweak the modeling and maybe build a new version of the plasma engine or use Plasma 3 which has HDR. Uru does have a confusing storyline, unfortunately like I've said before, it was never publicized enough, and if it had been, Cyan could have used that to explain the story, to explain the characters. While they are not as secretive and as hidden-away as Valve is, Cyan have been a bit too reclusive which could be blamed on Uru as they focused on making it, rather than keeping in contact with the common gamer.

I still think that if was Uru was to be funded, it would need an outside source because Cyan aren't in the position to finance it themselves, they have less staff than they did when working on Mudpie/Uru. We rly aren't in a position to fund it because their really isn't enough of us to help return it to the glory days (or intended days). We do however need to get out into the gaming community and help spread Uru among people, persuading them to become part of the community and help support what i believe IMO, is perhaps one of the best game companies currently in the world, who while they make games that won't be played by everyone, they are games that people will want to play over and over again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:12 pm 

Quote:
Uru does have a confusing storyline, unfortunately like I've said before, it was never publicized enough, and if it had been, Cyan could have used that to explain the story, to explain the characters.

Or they could just add journals, messages, notes, and act the live events better.

Personally I don't want to see a big company funding Uru for now. I think OpenSource would work because just like Cyan Worlds we got the vision, the ambition, the idea, and hopefully soon enough the code and the tools. But unlike Cyan Worlds we are not asking for money and we got as much as time as we need. And that can make the game awesome.

However, I think Cyan Worlds should release the source only to specific people, who will keep it only to themselves. Also, I hope they do some sort of an agreement with the server owners, so they can return to Uru, open a server, develop content and make profit from it whenever they want. Maybe they can charge some fee on people who are playing on other servers.

But all that in the future. Let's see what they got on store for us now :D .

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next