It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:54 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Uru Again
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:10 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:45 am
Posts: 577
Location: Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Hey ho,

I didn't notice any posts about this before, so thought I'd start a topic.

Did anyone else notice that the name MOUlagain pretty surely refers to Yeesha's second speech in the cleft? Here's an extract:

[spoiler]
Yeesha wrote:
Now the circle is complete, and the tree has begun to grow again. The path is now open, and so the symbol of the journey must change. Now the beginning is tied to the end. (draws shell symbol in the air) Now you can go where you wish. The restoration of D'ni awaits. The deep city breathes. Uru again.
[/spoiler]

Anyone else see the tie-ins to open-source here? Also, a Google search for Uru Again yields mystonline.com as the first result.

Since MOULagain is kind of a crappy name, I vote we start calling it Uru Again! Who's with me?

(thanks to the people in CyanChat for inspiring this thought)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:10 pm
Posts: 219
I'm down for UruAgain =)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:13 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:45 am
Posts: 577
Location: Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I forgot to add it also abbreviates to UA, much better than MOULagain.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:22 am
Posts: 55
Location: Chicago, IL
I like the reference and the name, but I myself am rather partial to MOULagain. I wasn't at first, but after having it pointed out to me that it's pronounced "mulligan", it's made me smile ever since. :D

_________________
KI #: 00159587
Printehr's Press
Co-founder of the Guild of Caterers


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 290
Location: Finnish Naapurusto's Bevin
UA like United Artists. Well, I say no thank you.

Zap


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Uru Again
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:40 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:21 pm
Posts: 2626
Location: Garland, TX - New 09/2014 KI # 60406 Moula
Marein wrote:
Hey ho,

I didn't notice any posts about this before, so thought I'd start a topic.

Did anyone else notice that the name MOUlagain pretty surely refers to Yeesha's second speech in the cleft? Here's an extract:

[spoiler]
Yeesha wrote:
Now the circle is complete, and the tree has begun to grow again. The path is now open, and so the symbol of the journey must change. Now the beginning is tied to the end. (draws shell symbol in the air) Now you can go where you wish. The restoration of D'ni awaits. The deep city breathes. Uru again.
[/spoiler]

Anyone else see the tie-ins to open-source here? Also, a Google search for Uru Again yields mystonline.com as the first result.

Since MOULagain is kind of a crappy name, I vote we start calling it Uru Again! Who's with me?

(thanks to the people in CyanChat for inspiring this thought)


MOULagain is actually a coined word that sounds similar to the term used in golf "Mulligan" which means do it over.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Uru Again
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:01 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:45 am
Posts: 577
Location: Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Mystdee wrote:
MOULagain is actually a coined word that sounds similar to the term used in golf "Mulligan" which means do it over.

It was on the Play page from the start, so I guess it was coined by Cyan themselves? (except if someone from the 'beta' time did)

I didn't know about that mulligan meaning though. That's also kinda cool.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Uru Again
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:59 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:21 pm
Posts: 2626
Location: Garland, TX - New 09/2014 KI # 60406 Moula
Marein wrote:
Mystdee wrote:
MOULagain is actually a coined word that sounds similar to the term used in golf "Mulligan" which means do it over.

It was on the Play page from the start, so I guess it was coined by Cyan themselves? (except if someone from the 'beta' time did)

I didn't know about that mulligan meaning though. That's also kinda cool.

I believe it was Cyan born :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:35 am
Posts: 174
Location: Minnesota KI: 322828
In my head I tend to pronounce it "mool-again", which often leads a tangent thought of old-man Bahros waving pillars at us going "you crazy MOULagains!"

I always did wonder why Yeesha refers to D'ni as "the ancient uru", "Uru again". IIRC, "uru" is Sanskrit(?) for "city", but why would Yeesha pick that to describe it if not just for a title drop in her speech?

I think for now "MOULagain" describes it pretty well (MOUL, again, no changes), but I would support calling it "Uru Again".

I'm just glad to be back!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:10 pm
Posts: 219
There's a leading theory (at least in my mind) that some of the first people to ascend from D'ni formed the Babylonian Empire.

Originally, the Great Shaft emptied into the African desert as opposed to New Mexico. When people were building the Shaft, some stayed on the surface.

The notion is that early Babylonians were old members of D'ni, and that some words were passed into Babylonian context, such as the word for "city"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:58 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:03 pm
Posts: 96
Why don't we just call it MOUL, as a) that's the name it says in the game, b) the game code or contents hasn't changed significantly from MOUL, c) the "real" MOUL no longer exists, so there's no confusion.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:33 am
Posts: 1182
Location: British Columbia, Canada
"Uru" is the D'ni word for "gathering".


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:35 am
Posts: 174
Location: Minnesota KI: 322828
Oh I didn't catch that "uru" had been incorporated into the language. I need to brush up on my D'ni again :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:37 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 10:35 pm
Posts: 864
Location: Shasta Lake, Superior California
MOULAgain = Moula or money, which Cyan can use to improve things and stay afloat. Therefore, send 'em some love (aka "coin of the realm"). In Spanish, that would be dinero, or as we say in cavern D'ni-ero.

_________________
When you shop, insist on free range corn dogs


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:01 am
Posts: 174
Location: Tampa, Florida
Yea, Even if it sounds a lil odd, I liked the mulligan reference. Makes it feel a lil more grass roots-y.

_________________
MOULagain Ki # 01675069


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ahrefs [Crawler] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: