It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:33 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:22 am 

Just so you know, Vika was never actually an age... just a test done by an artist to see how good they could get the graphics.

E.G.O.- 02129796
T.L.N.- ?

I VISITED AHNONAY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TREE SHIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:55 am 

sarpedon2 wrote:
gerrant wrote:
Well I do know from flymode on the offline version that there is some internal structure, some so that views work properly from around the island, some internal with no way they can be seen, so maybe they once had a plan for them.

But on the other hand the rear door of the musem goes out the back of a cliff, and where did the alley go - etc.

Oh and where does the alley behind the curtain go :P

Its all part of the whole of URU that makes us wonder 'what if' :D

I really wish I could get an interview with someone from Cyan to discuss Uru's history (something I've been wanting to do for a long time) and what were the original plans for the Uru Live (2003) and MOUL (2007).

Well, then do it! All it takes to set it up is one e-mail, you know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:22 am 

What is "Uran"? It's listed on the DRC projects page as Open.

MOULagain KI# 00831617 MOUL: 04072686

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:50 am 
Obduction Backer

The pellet silo area reachable from the end of Ercana.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Before the shutdown announcement, GameTap ran an advertisement that included mention of Uru - yet featured footage of Noloben from Myst V. That led to a lot of speculation that Cyan's next move with the pipeline would be to pull in one or more of the Myst V ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:28 am 
Obduction Backer

Marten wrote:
Before the shutdown announcement, GameTap ran an advertisement that included mention of Uru - yet featured footage of Noloben from Myst V. That led to a lot of speculation that Cyan's next move with the pipeline would be to pull in one or more of the Myst V ages.

Personally I figure that was just standard marketing-think and we should be thankful they got the same company for the promo shots used. :roll:

Then again, the m5 stuff was apparently stuff they were ready to dump into Uru but never got to so made into a game seperate..

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:17 am 

Just so you know, not many people ever saw those commercials....
Gondar, I love the new signature,
And if you want to know what they were working on, try the DRC website. They never change it, but it still has the age list.

E.G.O.- 02129796
T.L.N.- ?

I VISITED AHNONAY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TREE SHIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:32 pm 

Vika was not a fully realized age but a graphics test.

I recognize that - I know that it was a graphics test and not a complete age, and that it likely had no puzzles and had parts of the environment unfinished.

I also recognize that Vika was made around the time of RealMyst's release, and that it's older than most of the ages in Uru.

Nonetheless, it was 3d modeled and textured, it was low-poly and capable of running in realtime 3d, and could (theoretically) be put into Uru still, and even though it's incomplete, it is still likely more complete than some of the other Uru ages we're discussing, and better quality than most of the fan ages we've been seeing thus far.

I see no reason why Cyan could not take those art assets (the textured Vika level model as it currently is), fill in the unfinished gaps in the level adequately, and put it into Uru as an age.

It wouldn't need to have any puzzles, even - it could just be a small area to explore and wander around in.

It wouldn't be as good quality geometry or texture resolution-wise as some of the recent worlds, but it'd still look nice in terms of art direction, and I'd still like to see it appear in Uru.

It's a partly-realized 3d world that Cyan Worlds has, and I'm kind of thinking that all those partly-complete worlds - yes, even this old, outdated one which was not originally intended to be released - should be considered as possible/potential content which Cyan could still finish and put into MO:ULagain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:46 pm 

Maybe a book of links to the 'unfinished' ages - a sort of musem of curiositys as it were.

A lot of work went into the ages that were never released, it does seem a shame that we can't look at them even as locked items as the rest of the orginal Cyan works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:00 pm 

gerrant wrote:
Maybe a book of links to the 'unfinished' ages - a sort of musem of curiositys as it were.

A lot of work went into the ages that were never released, it does seem a shame that we can't look at them even as locked items as the rest of the orginal Cyan works.
Well here is the thing, many of those ages were close to ready, but the issue they weren't yet released is because (IC) They just aren't stable! Sliding rock formations, possible plagues.. These things have to be checked BEFORE they could open them up even just to sit there and be pretty.. (OOC) Sometimes even if the graphics for an age are set, the mechanics or even the boundaries like solid floors aren't set up right, and with so few (but very active) resEng's they don't have the time to help every explorer who clips into the floor. That and implementing a whole new location with a linking book isn't all that easy i'm sure o.o Better they do what they can with the fully funded projects THEN try and advance uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:07 pm 

matthornb wrote:
Vika was not a fully realized age but a graphics test.

I recognize that - I know that it was a graphics test and not a complete age, and that it likely had no puzzles and had parts of the environment unfinished.

I also recognize that Vika was made around the time of RealMyst's release, and that it's older than most of the ages in Uru.

Nonetheless, it was 3d modeled and textured, it was low-poly and capable of running in realtime 3d, and could (theoretically) be put into Uru still, and even though it's incomplete, it is still likely more complete than some of the other Uru ages we're discussing, and better quality than most of the fan ages we've been seeing thus far.

I see no reason why Cyan could not take those art assets (the textured Vika level model as it currently is), fill in the unfinished gaps in the level adequately, and put it into Uru as an age.

It wouldn't need to have any puzzles, even - it could just be a small area to explore and wander around in.

It wouldn't be as good quality geometry or texture resolution-wise as some of the recent worlds, but it'd still look nice in terms of art direction, and I'd still like to see it appear in Uru.

It's a partly-realized 3d world that Cyan Worlds has, and I'm kind of thinking that all those partly-complete worlds - yes, even this old, outdated one which was not originally intended to be released - should be considered as possible/potential content which Cyan could still finish and put into MO:ULagain.

How long does it take to convert an age from Plasma 1 though? I've heard its very time consuming. If they do start putting in Plasma 1 ages, I hope they put in the original Teledahn.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2