It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:12 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:29 am 
Obduction Backer

The obstacle for me is that I don't own a credit card, so I can't use PayPal to donate at all. I have what I think is called a EU debit card, which isn't supported AFAIK. It would be great to be able to donate using this kind of card.

However, despite this I got help from someone owning a credit card, by them sending my donation over to Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:19 am 
Obduction Backer

Check with your bank, a lot of Debit Cards can be treated like Credit Cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:43 am 
Obduction Backer

For those who don't have credit cards I have a suggestion:

PrePaid Credit Card. Works just like a prepaid phone card. This will allow you to donate the sum of money you wish, and do so without having to wait for Cyan to announce an alternative to credit card/pay pal donations.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

Post subject: donations
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:51 am 

If the game is available free, and I like the game, I will play it. If I can donate and help the game continue or improve, I'll do so. I won't enter a forum supported by voluntary workers and voluntary donations and whine about not being able to pay. Nobody cares if you can't or don't want to pay. At least be good company IC. :roll:

KI#01807516

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine."
Sir Arthur Eddington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:23 am 
Obduction Backer

OK this..I'm under age..still working on my parent
to understand ,,,,sorry..I have tried...

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:52 am 
Obduction Backer

I donated for Haiti nobody obliged me not to. An i have reasons not to donate.I donated also for Mystonline and i will in monthly basis , nobody obliged me to.
So why all this topic i cant understand ,everyone is free to do whatever he or she likes..
@ anybody that he can not donate there is no problem as the game is free, we are one as community and personally i dont feel bad when someone is in game and cant or dont want to donate.

Greece Ki # 117119

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Ja'de wrote:
How about "I'd like to donate but don't have either a credit card or pay pal account. How do I send a check?"

Cyan Worlds address

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:51 pm 

We each do as we can within the bounds of what we belive is fair & right.

Nobody has the right to judge others on what they did as long as its within the bounds of law and civility.

I have donated, because I am able to do so, and I hope that it both helps Cyan & those that enjoy URU as much as I do who cannot pay, even will not pay to be honest; for just by using URU and talking about it they help spread the story.

I belive, as in - my personal view and how I feel, that its proper to offer some fiscal help wherein the oppertuinity to play URU I have been offered is going to cost to provide. Its why I send a bit to my regular Web-Comics when I can - same thing really.

But it is a donation and has to be treated as such - non-binding and not demanded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:31 am 

What I get from the OP's message is: if you are here playing, clearly you can afford a computer and HS internet. If you can afford both of those, how much more difficult is it to dig a little into your pockets for a few bucks a month to support the ability to continue playing? Now if you really are a starving student and the 'rents provide the computer and internet, the questions posed are honest ones: have you gone out for a beer or three, fast food, a movie, etc. lately? I believe it's about thinking about one's priorities and the concept that anything worth having is worth working for in one way or another. These are questions meant to provoke thought.

We're all here because MOUL is different. It's being offered free, because if Cyan charged for it, then as 'paying customers' we would feel entitled to expect a certain level of support and new content, and appropriately so. By not charging but allowing the ability for donations, they can avoid that.

So if you truly cannot afford to donate, no problem. I, and many others I am sure, will donate gladly in hopes of keeping the Cavern open for ALL, donators and non-donators alike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:02 am 

How do you donate via PayPal? Is there a official email address to use?

KI# 00107498

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:23 am 

Well, this isn't smart.

Cyan released this for free for a reason. That reason wasn't so people could be guilted into donating. That's not a donation. People are free to donate if they want to or not. Honestly, I understand you want Uru to succeed, but it won't if we pressure people to donate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:50 am 

Wow. Just... this is an argument that should not occur. I mean, there is no logical reason why this should be an argument.

Fact: If Cyan makes no money, it will fail. That's a fact. Therefore all of us who want Cyan to succeed should donate lots and lots of money. The more money we donate, the faster Cyan can pay the salaries and allocate the budget required to start producing new Uru material and expanding it.

Fact: Cyan made it free for a reason - so that they could build the community without them having to sign up for Gametap or whatever. So we shouldn't feel guilted into donating.

If you can donate, donate. If you can't, don't. If you're the kind of person who steals things off the internet because you feel a sense of entitlement, guess what! Game's free! If you're the kind of person who feels guilty playing anything free, then skip a few fast food meals that week and donate $5 to Uru. If you're anything in between (as most of us are, I think,) fine! Do what you feel. There's no reason to argue about this.

Uru will die without a fanbase willing to support it. But that fanbase cannot be artificially created.

The Students of D'ni Knowledge!

Next SoDK Meeting: Sunday, March 28, 20:00 (8 PM) MST (10 PM EST, 2 AM GMT)
Subject: D'ni Law and Punishment
Moderator: Ahlehn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:38 am 

DocOlanA wrote:
If you can donate, donate. If you can't, don't.

I'll take it one further. If you WANT TO donate, donate. If you DON'T WANT TO, don't. I see a lot of people here defending their reasons why they can or cannot not donate (I'm not talking about alternative ways to donate, those discussions are fine of course). But to explain why you can't because you don't have the money, period: I'll be blunt. Please don't do that... we don't want to know. There are no reasons needed, no need to feel guilty either way. Do what you feel is right, both choices are well within the boundaries of the law and your actions here depend solely on your free will. Trying to enforce anything either way borders on bullying... don't do it... it's not nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:13 am 

Mr. Blackwood wrote:
MarinaM wrote:
KT wrote:
I'm a broke college student. If I could donate, I would.

Ditto. :(

Double Ditto :x

Again.

Additionally, I don't think we need threads haranguing people for their discretionary spending (or non-spending, in this case), and I don't think it creates a good atmosphere.

If they really, really need the money, there will be a small fee for maintenance of the server, and I'd pay a little if I felt like playing enough during the period I was paying for. As it is, I'll probably just hop on rarely to see what's up; I don't have the time to do a whole lot of gaming online.
DocOlanA wrote:
Fact: If Cyan makes no money, it will fail. That's a fact. Therefore all of us who want Cyan to succeed should donate lots and lots of money. The more money we donate, the faster Cyan can pay the salaries and allocate the budget required to start producing new Uru material and expanding it.

The real fact here is that the re-opening of Uru is unexpected and I have heard nothing about new content. Donations should be because you enjoy what's here now; not because you expect some further steps in the future which Cyan hasn't committed do, which is a good way to start feeling an entitlement complex and eventual disappointment if that doesn't come to pass. Unless Cyan has made some new promises within literally the last couple weeks, this is wishful thinking. I understand that it doesn't seem enough like some that 'just' old content / fan content is being made available online, but new Cyan content (besides the donator goodie/s?) is not something I was expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:28 am 

Um... I'm not sure it's important WHY you donate. If you donate out of sheer appreciation, good on you! Yahvo knows that's reason enough! If you choose to donate out of the hope that it will lead to new content, good on you! I share your hopes and dreams!

Really, do we need to argue about why we donate? Uru is live again! We can return to the cavern! I'm seriously in full-on rejoicing in brotherhood moment here! Lets not fight.

The Students of D'ni Knowledge!

Next SoDK Meeting: Sunday, March 28, 20:00 (8 PM) MST (10 PM EST, 2 AM GMT)
Subject: D'ni Law and Punishment
Moderator: Ahlehn

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next