It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:49 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:41 am 

Tiella wrote:
I can donate, I have donated and I will continue to donate.
However, I believe it is not up to us to decide what anybody should do without to be able to donate. For URU to survive, to stay alive, it is important that people play URU, enjoy to play URU and spread the word that it is worth to play URU.
Then more people will come in and that means there will be more people who can and will donate.

My feelings exactly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! For bringing MO:UL back again!

My wife and I spent a great deal of this last weekend re-aquainting ourselves with URU again. WOW, what a rush of great memories!

I will be making a quarterly donation of $20, which is the same amount I would have been paying to GAMETAP, if MO:UL would have survived there.

In a way, I am so much more pleased to be making this donation directly to CYAN who will get the full benefit of the money. URU Live was the only thing we played out on Gametap (except for an occasional peek at a Sam&Max episode for some chuckles), but only a very small portion of our subscription actually filtered down to the developers, which is why I'm sure it ultimately failed.

Even without new content, it's such a joy just to be able to explore the cavern and ages together with my wife again.

Post subject: One Good Reason
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:01 pm 

Well, I do have one very good reason not to donate.

"I can't get the darn thing to run."

Consider this a nudge for everyone who's able, to donate time to the technical forum and offer solutions if you have them. Since Cyan Worlds isn't going to be able to offer technical support, it's on us to help out as much as possible.

Virg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:18 pm 

i said it before and i'll say it again. there are a jillion valid reasons for people not being able to/not wanting to donate monetarily. there are other good ways you can help. spread the word about mo:ula and bring more new explorers to the cavern. help on the forums and in the cavern with tech questions and hints if you can. seriously, this is a community. all help in *any* form in appreciated. there should be no guilt tripping of any kind.

Post subject: Re: One Good Reason
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:41 pm 

Virg wrote:
Well, I do have one very good reason not to donate.

"I can't get the darn thing to run."

Consider this a nudge for everyone who's able, to donate time to the technical forum and offer solutions if you have them. Since Cyan Worlds isn't going to be able to offer technical support, it's on us to help out as much as possible.

Virg

I would like to point out that tech support for the password problem has been amazing. I was up very, very late at night and Mr. Watson replied to my email almost immediately. It being two hours later over there, I think he's pulling some serious hours to help people out. I was surprised to find that there apparently isn't a backlog in that part of the system - the stress is, just as they say, on the physical system (though I bet Mr. Watson might be feeling a bit groggy right now, if he's still up that is.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cyan has posted that Uru is free, and encourages donations.

I think that's about the sum of it.

People will donate if they want to, and if they can.

Goodness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:38 am 

talldarkmystere wrote:
Before I even downloaded the client, I had donated. Just $10, but I plan to donate that at the least on a monthly basis. I am totally behind this revival of URU, and I'm happy to give money to CYAN and not some publisher, when clearly, we don't really NEED one. URU is a special kind of game that appeals to special kinds of gamers. There aren't many (or to my knowledge ANY) games like URU out there, and I want to do whatever I can to help spread the word and support Cyan to bring URU back to the life that it was always meant to play host to. I want to continue the journey, to continue with the fantastic storyline that Cyan has created, and now, more than ever - experience what ages fans have and will be inspired to create.

URU is the only MMO I have ever cared enough for to play, nevermind having no qualms whatsoever about paying out $10 of my money for. I know that there are many others that are like-minded, and those that aren't - But I sincerely feel that this is our big chance to make this thing something that goes beyond our wildest dreams, something that brings Cyan the credit they deserve as a creative company, and the funding it needs to continue making fantastic games.

I might seem to some as adoring of Cyan, but I am. I have been a fan since the very first time I played MYST, and have been at my happiest when delving into the worlds that they have created and inspired. These guys are my heroes. They bring me wonder and joy, and for that, I'd gladly part with $100 a month if I could afford to do so. Until then, I'm easily parted with $10 or even $20 a month - More than twice what it would have cost while URU was under Gametap - Easily, the cost of most mid-range games, but it's worth that to me to have the opportunity to travel to new worlds, solve new puzzles, and help support a unique company that I will not see fade away.

But, those are my reasons. I should hope that some of you will donate because it directly benefits Cyan. These guys don't need publishers or marketers, they have us! If you want to help support Cyan, but can't afford to - Spread the word!

That was beautiful. It was probably the most inspirational speech ever posted on this forum. All I can say is "Wow."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:52 am 

Yes, there are reasons not to donate.

The biggest reason, of course, is that there are many far more worthy causes than this video game - places where donations actually save lives.

I donated to Cyan Worlds, but it didn't come out of my donation funds, it came out of my entertainment funds in place of buying a used video game or DVD.

I consider this sort of donation not so much a real donation but an act of collective self-interest. We're paying so we can keep this game alive and help it to succeed. We're paying because we want Cyan Worlds to reduce lag and improve the servers, fix bugs in the game, open-source the game engine, plugins, server code, etc, and (hopefully) create new content and develop their story further.

We're paying a few dollars here and there, essentially because we want the game to exist and expand, and because we believe that we'll get something back from our collective donations in terms of gameplay.

I (personally) would advise that we consider it that way - we're paying for a game service. All the money we put in will come back to us in some way, since Cyan Worlds is putting all the donation money into sustaining and developing Uru.

I didn't consider, in effect, my donation to Cyan Worlds to be an actual donation - but a way of funding development of a game which I want to see developed.

And I didn't want it to interfere with or detract from the hundreds of dollars I was determined to allocate to REAL charities that do real life-saving, life-changing work. :)

I'm tentatively considering doing something - not sure what - to spur development of Guild of Writers content production,
because I'm pretty convinced they can produce more content per dollar invested than Cyan can (since they're working without salaries, out of sheer love of the game) - won't say it'll all be *good* content, but still...

Maybe buying training materials for GoW members, better software, etc, would be useful in improving their quality of work.

I was also thinking about the Imagine Cup, and how a prize of about $40,000 prompted thousands of entries and spurred massive software development and hundreds of thousands of hours of collective work making games to enter into the competition, and it occurred to me:

What if we (or just me, if nobody else is interested) did the same sort of thing for the GoW age developers - awarded prizes for best fan ages of 2010 at the end of this year?

I'm not sure how best to do this, it's just a random idea right now, but establishing some sort of (limited) cash incentive for making higher-quality ages might not be a bad thing for the Guild of Writers. It could spur development of more/better fan content very cost-effectively.

So that's one thing I'm thinking about maybe doing. It's an odd thought that I'll throw out there - that supporting the GoW production of content that way, or in some other way (commissioning a GoW writer to create an age for you?) may also be worth doing and be a cost-effective way to get content made for Uru. (Rather than only backing Cyan's content production)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:10 am 

Mr. Blackwood wrote:
MarinaM wrote:
KT wrote:
I'm a broke college student. If I could donate, I would.

Ditto. :(

Double Ditto :x

Tripple Ditto!! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:31 am 

nbolin wrote:
Mr. Blackwood wrote:
MarinaM wrote:
KT wrote:
I'm a broke college student. If I could donate, I would.

Ditto. :(

Double Ditto :x

Tripple Ditto!! :?

Quadrupl... eh, you get the point. But I will be getting around to donating when I can, don't you worry. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3