It is currently Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:17 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:41 pm
Posts: 807
Location: A Galaxy Far Far Away
I don't know how viable Babel Bot is at the moment, I don't use it myself,
but I have been told that due to Google changing it's API, Babel Bot can't use Google.
Someone feel free to correct me on why Babel Bot no longer works

So I thought that we could use copy & paste to translate using Google translate
Let's not get into a debate about how good Google is at translating.

Saying something in another language is easier than understanding what is being said,
let me explain

If I want to say something in a language I don't know, I just go to Google translate, make sure I have the "From" and "To" set to the right languages, type in what I what to say, then copy the translated text.
Go back to MOULa (having alt-tabbed out) and start a text chat, then hit ctrl V and paste it in.
Then check for any accented letters (MOULa can't handle them) and correct them.
Easy.

But to understand what is being said, I'd have to do the following
1) Keep a chatlog running
2) Refresh the chatlog each time something is said by closing the chatlog and re-opening it
3) Highlight and copy the line I need to translate
4) paste that into Google translate, which then tells me what has been said

I could then translate a reply and paste that into the text chat, but by time I return to MOULa,
the conversation has moved on.

What slows me down is having to refresh the chatlog each time something is said.

This method *could* be used in a one-on-one conversation or if there is an explorer that needs help and you both don't speak each others language,
but for a fast moving conversation it is impractical.

Even if Babel Bot doesn't translate, does it still keep a running text chat, that you can copy into Google to understand what is being said? I realise this is still slow if you're trying to follow a conversation.

If Babel Bot can't or doesn't do that, is it possible someone can write a program that merely keeps the text updated in say, notepad?
(please forgive me if I have no idea how hard or complicated that would be to do, I know nothing about programming)

I am trying to find a more practical way to translate text, so please be gentle on me.
Alien

_________________
Equal among others in the Guild Of Sleepers


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:30 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 6:06 am
Posts: 1166
Location: Anywhere
This reminds me of the olden days. :)

_________________
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I found other games to play.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:43 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:02 pm
Posts: 1489
Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Another problem with the new cut 'n paste is that it won't let you use accent marks. This means you can't cut 'n paste words like Déjà vu, for example. I'm not really complaining - I'm very glad to have this new feature, but it does have limitations.

_________________
New to Uru? See this video.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:26 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 2:02 pm
Posts: 819
Location: Switzerland
Alien wrote:
If Babel Bot can't or doesn't do that, is it possible someone can write a program that merely keeps the text updated in say, notepad?

I was about to suggest http://tailforwin32.sourceforge.net/, but I just tried it and it doesn’t seem to work with an Uru chatlog… :( not sure if you’ll have more luck with some other “tail” utility (I don’t recall any other free ones). Maybe try it anyway.

TOOO wrote:
Another problem with the new cut 'n paste is that it won't let you use accent marks. This means you can't cut 'n paste words like Déjà vu, for example. I'm not really complaining - I'm very glad to have this new feature, but it does have limitations.

Hmm? I can paste “Déjà vu” just fine here. I can’t send it as chat (trying results in “Error: Must be text only”), but that’s just the way it has always been, when you tried to type such a thing. That is a limitation of the KI (or of text handling in the engine in general), not of copy & paste. In fact, pasting takes me a step further than typing used to here, because it allows me to actually enter the “é”, while typing just inserts some mysterious invisible character.

Are you seeing different behavior?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:22 pm
Posts: 560
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
@Alien: As a Cavern Crier, I'll use Babel Bot to cut/paste translated stuff from Google for non-english speaking explorers i encounter. I also keep Moula windowed to make transition between the different screens easier.

Thankfully, this situation is uncommon to rare. At various points I have worked with translation team to have some of the "major" GoMe ki-mails coverted to German and transliterated Russian*. (Most importantly, the Recurring Cavern Events ki-mail.)

Anys, let me know if you have any questions I may be able to answer.

(Nevyn's Note: Hmm...I wonder if the Crier's pages can be converted to other languages, like the news feed items....)

_________________
KI# 00071084 | "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander
Image
(Note: Any comments or opinions, taken whole or in part, are mine and do not reflect the stance of GoMe.)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:44 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:02 pm
Posts: 1489
Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Christian Walther wrote:
TOOO wrote:
Another problem with the new cut 'n paste is that it won't let you use accent marks. This means you can't cut 'n paste words like Déjà vu, for example. I'm not really complaining - I'm very glad to have this new feature, but it does have limitations.

Hmm? I can paste “Déjà vu” just fine here. I can’t send it as chat (trying results in “Error: Must be text only”), but that’s just the way it has always been, when you tried to type such a thing. That is a limitation of the KI (or of text handling in the engine in general), not of copy & paste. In fact, pasting takes me a step further than typing used to here, because it allows me to actually enter the “é”, while typing just inserts some mysterious invisible character.

Are you seeing different behavior?


I should have clarified: I meant in chat - and yes, I'm getting “Error: Must be text only”.

_________________
New to Uru? See this video.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kevenpa, SEMrush [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: