It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:40 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 132  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:07 pm 
I agree with Teknobubba. I know my logins have decreased by 1/3 to 1/2 due to the stabilization of the servers. I just get in and stay in. I think that probably accounts for a significant portion of the change in reported login numbers. I LOVE the CAVCON meter! Thanks RAWA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:15 pm 

Maybe average login duration should be reported as well ...

Post subject: cavcon level
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:18 pm 

I think that this should be posted on the Home page, right below the PayPal donation link button. This might actually encourage more donations.
It would also alert those who haven't donated yet to perhaps make one if the Cavcon level drops to 3 or lower.

Why keep it a secret?

DJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:29 pm 

The facebook ads are my fault, BTW - I threw about 4 dollars into Facebook ads for my MO:ULagain fansite - which then directs people to MystOnline.com. It took maybe 10 minutes to set up the ad.

BTW, that fansite follows Cyan's non-profit fansite guidelines by this point. No more controversial content - I've learned something from my past mistakes.

Nor do my ads lead directly to Cyan's official site, since I recall that having been a no-no, according to Chogon.

The Facebook ads are shown to Facebook fans of "Adventure games", "adventure gaming", "fantasy art" and "puzzles" specifically.

I've gotten 81 clicks with minimal investment; a really solid response rate.

That's one of the good/bad things about Facebook and MySpace and Google searches and Youtube; ordinary individuals can throw ads up in all these places in just a few minutes, with just a dollar or two, and display them only to people who fit in specific relevant niches.

You'll probably all get annoyed with me for having done this; personally though, I'm willing to take the risk of being criticized by all of you yet again because I figure I've got nothing to lose by this point; many of you hate me already anyway. :roll:

Aside from that, it seems to be working - it's been very effective, and if it helps Uru become a hit, it's worth the flaming I'll receive on this board from the fans/mods for having done it.

My "Facebook Ad Test" demonstrates that because Cyan has an amazing product, at an amazing price (free) - they could/can pull in a huge response and a ton of players if they advertised/promoted Uru more agressively and more accurately.

It's kind of disappointing that they haven't, though - and that there are millions of relevant potential players who don't know Uru exists simply because they've never been told about it or seen an ad for it.

My Facebook campaign was a tiny expense compared to the amounts I donated to Cyan Worlds - or the amount I'm giving out in prizes in the GoW contest to help them improve their fan ages (I'm handing out books like "Mastering Blender" as prizes to people who submit good age creation tutorials, so both the contest entries and prizes are helping people make ages for Uru.)

It was not a big thing, more of a random late-night decision, but it generated a significant response, apparently.

My Facebook ad test was a 10-minute, $4 random experiment that ended up causing 81 people to voluntarily view a website promoting Uru - and apparently, from what I'm hearing from you guys, some of those 81 people became actual Uru players.

I'm not saying advertising my fansite was a good decision - I might get chewed out pretty heavily by Cyan's staff for having done it - and I'm not saying any of you should do the same, but I wanted to try it just to see if it'd work.

What I will point out here is that ANYONE - completely ordinary people - can promote any random thing they want to promote easily to a relevant audience using the many web banner advertising systems that now exist. The fact that I was able to promote Uru to thousands of adventure/puzzle gamers in 10 minutes, maybe less, with under $5, and get 81 responses, should be noted by Cyan Worlds.

Cyan Worlds is a company full of smart people who can do a WAY better and more cost-effective job advertising their game than Turner did with their misdirected Cartoon Network campaign, and can do better than I did as well - and if they can build enough of a playerbase, then maybe - maybe - they'll end up with enough fans to reach CAVCON 5, ramp up production of new content, etc.

Cyan can pull in a lot of players at very low costs, both for MO:ULagain and for MQO, if they advertise to the *right* people.

Advertising Uru to general audiences doesn't work well because it's a niche game that only appeals to certain types of people - we've seen that problem clearly from the past runs of Uru Live - but advertising specifically to adventure gamers and puzzle gamers through systems that allow keyword targeting, does seem to be cost-effective in pulling in new players who will actually stick around.

I guess I was hoping to demonstrate that idea by testing an Uru ad on the Facebook ad system.

I want to encourage Cyan Worlds to go for relevant niches - fantasy sites, adventure gaming sites, puzzle sites, and to set up focused advertising towards people who are actually interested in this type of game, rather than retreading the same "go for the general audiences" tactic that's failed over and over under numerous publishers.

I guess that's why I did this - I'm trying to help Uru grow - and testing to see if it'd work (that is, promoting Uru to these targeted groups), and since it has, I'm going to go ahead and suggest this sort of promotional method (targeted web advertising) to Cyan Worlds as something worth considering for Uru, or MQO, etc.

Good advertising will help Cyan's games succeed; Cyan needs to stop leaving the ad campaigns to the publishers because - quite honestly - most of the publishers Cyan has worked with don't have a clue how to market Cyan's games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:13 pm 

Well, I applaud you Matt for what you are doing for Uru.

Guild of Messengers Website: www.guildofmessengers.com or http://rel.to/gome

Receive news on Facebook: http://rel.to/gome_fb or Twitter: http://twitter.com/GoMessengers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

A graph of the current stats.
The Total Accounts and New Accounts* are starting to level off, which is to be expected.
The Users Login (yellow line) is the most interesting.

Overall, not to much to be gotten yet, maybe with a few more weeks of data.

*New Accounts is the difference between then current week and the preceding week. The first week is excluded because it has no preceding week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

That yellow line is very concerning for me...

I really hope that we can get some new content, and maybe hope that other people find out about it. That should help get people back up.

Or, as people have said before, perhaps things are just more stable right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

matthornb wrote:
You'll probably all get annoyed with me for having done this; personally though, I'm willing to take the risk of being criticized by all of you yet again because I figure I've got nothing to lose by this point; many of you hate me already anyway. :roll:

Quite the opposite, anyone who throws some money at everything Uru gets a brownie point from me :D

matthornb wrote:
Good advertising will help Cyan's games succeed; Cyan needs to stop leaving the ad campaigns to the publishers because - quite honestly - most of the publishers Cyan has worked with don't have a clue how to market Cyan's games.

Indeed. AdWords seems to be a very effective method to advertise Uru, and considering the amount of donations, I think they could put some money into this. As for MQO, it will surely be a hit considering MagiQuest is pretty visited and they will advertise it in their parks.

Logins: maybe *something* can happen in the Cavern to make people come back? DRC, lake, Barho, Yeesha, whatever... because at this point, anything that happens in the Cavern (regarding official Cyan content) will make us talk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

dragossh wrote:
Logins: maybe *something* can happen in the Cavern to make people come back? DRC, lake, Barho, Yeesha, whatever... because at this point, anything that happens in the Cavern (regarding official Cyan content) will make us talk.

I keep mulling over if there could be a way for we the fans to make some story happen that wouldn't mess up Cyan's plans, but would be compelling enough to keep people logging in to see what happens next.

On that note, has anybody ever reorganized the Guild of Actors? Maybe some interested fans could come up with something and submit a proposal to Cyan...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:37 pm 

Honestly, I think the Login levels are dropping because more people are just staying logged in at all times :P

Here's hoping to get to CAVCON 5!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:18 am 

In my own experience, the first few weeks I learned that URU was back, I logged in quite a bit to see what was new or different and to repeat all the standard quests. I log in far less frequently now because there really isn't all that much to see now, except for the occasional change, such as the return of Sharper's journal. I keep earning pellet points and show up for the weekly Students of D'ni Knowledge meetings. Beyond that, I have no reason to make more frequent logins. I don't know, but I'm probably not alone in my motivation for logging in. If there are more frequent changes in URU, I would have a clear reason for logging in much more than I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Donations are more important than logins, although some number of logins is needed to keep the cavern feeling alive, which drives more people to login even if no new content is out.

Honestly, I haven't solved any Ages since I've gotten back except for a door run in Delin, and a portal in Negilahn. I will get to the other Ages in time - what's important to me is seeing other people when I can be online.

I'm glad to see the CAVCON stat updates, regardless :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:04 pm 

theres a rumor i heard about a storyline possibility but men i dunno. and realife cuts intomy uru time weather i want it to or not :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:00 pm 

Marten wrote:
Donations are more important than logins, although some number of logins is needed to keep the cavern feeling alive, which drives more people to login even if no new content is out.

Honestly, I haven't solved any Ages since I've gotten back except for a door run in Delin, and a portal in Negilahn. I will get to the other Ages in time - what's important to me is seeing other people when I can be online.

I'm glad to see the CAVCON stat updates, regardless :)

Marten. :D I'm glad to see that I am not alone being "behind" completing the ages. I spend most my URU time doing Guild work. Let's just say the being a guild member is the best way to be busy playing URU. lol

Guild of Messengers Website: www.guildofmessengers.com or http://rel.to/gome

Receive news on Facebook: http://rel.to/gome_fb or Twitter: http://twitter.com/GoMessengers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:19 am 

Well, granted real life has been taking away from my Uru time, I do know that when I'm on, I net6 alot less, so there's a bunch of logins not used. :lol:

Avvie name: Crazyraider - 00670418 (preferred) / Crazyraider312 - 01396856 / Crazyraider_DJ - 04976032

DJ of Raider Rave Radio (Fan Page)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 132  Next