It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:57 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 132  Next
 Post subject: Re: CAVCON Meter
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:18 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

It's too late now for June but a Donation level of 2.4 as of June 25 doesn't bode well for the month end figures once they're tallied up :?.

It makes me wonder if, in addition to "Donation Fatigue" (a drop in donations following a big fundraising drive), that there's another syndrome, maybe "Donation Anticipation", whereby people hold off on donating because they know there's a big event coming up during which they intend to donate?

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Could be, Mac...Guess we will find out after the upcoming event(s) in July... I try to donate at regular intervals regardless

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

If Cyan were Valve, we'd probably have a sociologist who studied community effects on CAVCON :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
AdamJohnso wrote:
If Cyan were Valve, we'd probably have a sociologist who studied community effects on CAVCON :P
Perhaps Celia Pearce would be interested. :wink:

For those that don't know, she's written about Uru before.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:56 am 

Anything interesting in there, anyone read it??

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Veering wildly off topic so being brief- I got her book on my kindle and found it interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

This might be worthy of a thread unto its own.

adi, Communities of Play: The Social Construction of Identity in Persistent Online Game Worlds is about how the Uru community stayed together after the first closing in 2004 and carried the Uru culture into other online worlds. Most telling are the four pictures of the hood fountain in Uru and three other worlds. So, if you're interested in learning about the history of the community, it's very enlightening.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:15 pm 

Yay, a short version, thanks! :D
I agree, it would be a nice idea to start a discussion inspired by this book. Tho I guess that would demand us to read the contents of her 300 paged essay, so, maybe not. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

The link I gave was to a 7-page paper, not the book.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:53 pm 

Who said you did?
I only assumed that in order to discuss further we would need the full book, that's all. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:39 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

adi wrote:
I only assumed that in order to discuss further we would need the full book, that's all. :)
...and to start the discussion in it's own thread ;)

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:34 pm 

But at this point, isn't a moderator required to step in and split threads? So, not my fault, or responsibility. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
It's too late now for June but a Donation level of 2.4 as of June 25 doesn't bode well for the month end figures once they're tallied up :?.

It makes me wonder if, in addition to "Donation Fatigue" (a drop in donations following a big fundraising drive), that there's another syndrome, maybe "Donation Anticipation", whereby people hold off on donating because they know there's a big event coming up during which they intend to donate?

There is also another major effect... Summer in the northern hemisphere.

I've always seen a drop in activity during the Summer season as people go on holiday or just have more to do out and about.

I suspect you might also see a shift in times people are online as well, with longer daylight hours and outside temperature variations, but I don't have enough data for that. It might be interesting to track the number/times of game and forum logins to see if there is a strong correlation in traffic patterns, but you'd have to include time-zone data somehow as well. Perhaps just account for Europe and N. America.

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:12 pm 

Besides NA/Europe, other major areas of player concentration are Japan, Russia, and Australia...

...There used to be several south american countries represented (centered mostly in Brazil, I think) but not sure how much this still holds true.

I've also met a few explorers from South Africa in my travels...(meaning the country, not the continent)...but this has been sporadic. I also can't recall having ever met any of these explorers more than once, but this could just be a time-zone difference.

My own cavern activity level being only for Cavern Crier duty, or survey work on the D'ni for surface projects these days, I still try to donate to the Cavcon at least once/month...Sometime my donation is as little as $10 (the old Gametap fee), other times a bit more...Although for June, I'll admit I just forgot.

:oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

The reserve fund is now empty: "CAVCON Donation Meter: 1.2 (July, in progress, as of 7/8/13)" MO:ULa is now completely dependent on regular donations each month to stay afloat. If the donations over the following months are insufficient, MO:ULa will go down.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 132  Next