It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:18 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 132  Next
 Post subject: Re: CAVCON Meter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

I love the speculation..

Is anyone here actually going to know the true numbers?.. Probably not.. So, as long as I can log on and play and contribute, I will be a happy camper.. Maybe this whole Cavcon thing needs to be put in the Nonsense Thread..lol

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:57 am 
Obduction Backer

KathAveara wrote:
I think we must've had maybe 2 months' reserve or more back around the time of that 4.9 month.

By my calculations we had a little over 2 months worth at the highest point derivable from the figures given, i.e. only taking into account the past year when we've had the more precise figures. Of course, "a couple" doesn't necessarily mean exactly two, so you'll forgive me if I don't abandon my Cautious Optimism (tm).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

A couple in this case probably really will mean something like 5 or 6.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
More importantly though, I suspect that Malfhok is interpreting RAWA's words in the description of CAVCON 5 literally and hoping that having two months in the bank will miraculously release some new content from Cyan. Apart from anything else, I think the scare in July means that there's some need to ensure there's something kept in reserve for a rainy day, so I'd think that RAWA's "couple of months" ought to be read as "several months".

Just to clarify, I'm not saying I think that two months' worth of reserve funds means Cyan automatically starts creating new content. But RAWA's CAVCON 5 definition says:

Quote:
It means that donations are exceeding MO:ULagain expenses, there are a couple of months of MO:ULagain expenses in reserve, and extra money can be put toward server upgrades, bug fixes, new content, incorporating fan created content, etc.

So we're looking for two conditions:

- At least CAVCON 4 level donations
- A healthy reserve with 2+ months' of funds

I'm not saying that when we hit that, Cyan has to make new content. But I am thinking about the "incorporating fan created content" and "bug fixes" parts. I know there's been discussion in the Sevkor thread about how we're even going to fund getting the age into MOUL once it's ready. Getting to a CAVCON 5 level, even if we don't call it CAVCON 5, means we have more freedom to do it.

In other words, I'm suggesting that we can roughly estimate the amount in the reserve and maybe motivate more donations with such a number.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:11 am 
Obduction Backer

RAWA wrote:

Charura wrote:
maybe RAWA is on leave?

I'm here, but the accountant was not. :)

Is that accountant off yet again? :lol: It's now 7 Sept and we have't closed off August (though admittedly the last figs we have were NEARLY the end of the month.) I'm sure we're all eager to know what figure we START September with.

It's not ideal to operate with so much lag. We need as much of the month as possible to remedy any more CAVCON 1s (not that we should get one this time :) ).

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:03 pm 
Cyan Employee

RAWA wrote:
CAVCON 5 is a bit more nebulous, as can be seen by the fact that there have been some minor updates in the past even without reaching the official CAVCON 5. CAVCON 5 doesn't lend itself to a simple calculation. It requires an express decision from the Powers that Be that we're in a position to be making regular minor updates to MOULa.

Yeah... what he said.

:)

RAWA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

yay, we ended Aug at 4.2! Shame we don''t get any time to enjoy it before we drop down to 2 again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Acorn1 wrote:
Shame we don''t get any time to enjoy it before we drop down to 2 again.
the 'speculation' is that the month always starts at 2 on any given month....then we build from there.. 'Given', the beginning of the month is starting at 2 and not the dreaded 1...lol

There are several interpretations on this...

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:59 am 

Charura wrote:
Acorn1 wrote:
Shame we don''t get any time to enjoy it before we drop down to 2 again.
the 'speculation' is that the month always starts at 2 on any given month....then we build from there.. 'Given', the beginning of the month is starting at 2 and not the dreaded 1...lol

There are several interpretations on this...

I don't think it's speculation; it's simple logic.

Cavcon 1 means donations are less than expenses, and the reserve is empty.

Cavcon 2 means donations are less than expenses and there is a reserve, which is being used to cover expenses.

It's simple logic.. at the first of the month, technically there are NO donations yet received FOR the month. That means donations (of zero) are automatically less than expenses. BUT, last month's reserve has not yet been entirely spent, so the reserve is not empty.

Whatever bills are due on the first are automatically going to exceed the current donations of 'zero'.

That's Cavcon 2.

Now..CAVCON 3= Donations are roughly equal to expenses.

THAT means, if there's already a reserve, and the donations paid all the expenses-- then the reserve was untouched that month. So even if we ended a month at cavcon 3.0, we'd still probably start at cavcon 2 the next month. Because donations are reset to zero on the first.

Cyan would probably have to have several months that ENDED with 2.x, before the reserve was diminished enough to start off with cavcon 1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 am 
Obduction Backer

"Thank You" HarveyMidnight...now it's become clearer!!!...I can't remember how many of these pages I've read through to finally have the proper answer..are you sure?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:44 am 
Obduction Backer

There never was speculation about this; as Harvey states, it's purely logical. When the month begins, there are two options:
  • Either there already is enough money to cover the rest of the month (CAVCON 2)
  • Or there isn't (CAVCON 1)
The meter then rises as donations come in.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:28 am 
Obduction Backer

Lyrositor wrote:
...When the month begins, there are two options:
  • Either there already is enough money to cover the rest of the month (CAVCON 2)
  • Or there isn't (CAVCON 1)

Do you mean "Either there is enough money [set aside in the Reserve Fund from previous month(s)] to cover the rest of the month..."???
...or are you saying that each month's donations are applied to the following month?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:49 am 
Obduction Backer

I mean that there is enough money in the reserve fund; the surplus from each month goes to the reserve fund.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:07 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I didn't really absorb that properly when you first wrote it, Lyrositor. I see now why Emor posed the question.

I don't believe that starting a month at CAVCON 2 suggests that there is enough in reserve to cover the current month, only that there was enough, between donations and the reserve, to cover the previous month. In terms of the "Donation Meter" part of CAVCON (the number that is updated through the course of the month), the size of any reserve doesn't really enter into it as it's a measure of the donations received in the current month.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:00 pm 

Huh, that's a very interesting speculation.

I've always assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that starting a month @2 mean there's some money in reserve in case the current month's donations fall short of what is needed to cover the monthly server costs. I do know there are a few explorers here who speculate we have a little over a month in the reserve fund at the moment. However, no one can be sure this except RAWA and/or another Cyanist.

Ah, well...To quote Lyrositor: "C'est la vie."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 132  Next