It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:43 pm 

Even though I have nothing of note to contribute to this thread, it's very interesting to follow, just lurking, being a sponge and soaking up the cool tidbits :shock: that make this whole adventure an acceptable addiction since early 2004.
Thanks all, keep up the good work! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Got the ok from the boss, so here's the maps we put in Unwritten. Again, these are based on multiple sources & interpretations, and designed with the needs of Unwritten GMs and players in mind- so they shouldn't be considered The Right And True Maps by any means.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:09 am 
Obduction Backer

# 11308

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

There was a lot of discussion and futzing that went into it, including tossing contradictions and unclear information out the window, balancing expectations for people who were familiar with Uru with more extensive and appropriate design, and just plain deciding what we did and didn't like. Since there hasn't ever been any One True Map and coordinates, even with Uru, we built what fit best with our needs.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:14 pm 

Well, let's be honest, the DRC's own map in the courtyard is not the most accurate, either....

(Note: Any comments or opinions, taken whole or in part, are mine and do not reflect the stance of GoMe.)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

# 11308

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

As the guy who created the maps for Unwritten, I thought I'd pop in to share my reasoning for some of the stuff that's been pointed out.

Ashem'en is where the Er'cana silo is located, and it's clear from looking out the roof that it's in the main Cavern, because the Arch is visible. It's also noted as being part of the City Proper in the Kings notebooks that describe its location. Given both of these elements, along with the fact that the silo is supposed to feed into the lake and is open to the air above, there's no way that it could actually be located over 50 spans below the shoreline. (I should also note that as far as I'm concerned, the KI coordinates in the Cavern are bunk for anywhere that isn't the main Ae'gura map or the Great Zero map, because according to them, Kirel is also supposed to be underwater, when visually it's clearly at about the same elevation as Bevin.)

The City is directly across from Ae'Gura (to the right on the Cavern map as it appears here), and was probably not labeled because there wasn't room for the text (Eleri converted my labels for the book, so she'd know better than me). The original map that I provided for the book does more clearly indicate its location, but such are the joys of publishing ;).

For K'veer, its location in Uru contradicts basically every other resource we have for its location, including the map posted on the old DRC website brought up earlier in this thread. While the overall shape of the Cavern - and the placement of Ae'gura and the City within it - are a fudge between the BoT/DRC maps and the map of the Cavern as depicted on the floor of the Great Zero, K'veer didn't end up needing to move very much to align it to both maps. I can almost 100% guarantee, though, that you see Ae'Gura from the angle that you do in Uru (and EoA) because Cyan likely recycled the Ae'gura and lake assets from the Neighborhood maps.

J'Taeri's location, similarly, is only "official" to the extent that it has KI coordinates, which as I mentioned, I don't trust. I knew it was a Guild district, and that it needed to be higher up on the island than the "rabble" districts. It also needed to be comparatively lower than the Jaren District, which is where Aitrus and his parents live, and which is described as being substantially more upper-class and on the eastern side of the island in BoD. This is an occasion where having a 3D map would be super helpful, because J'Taeri is actually a lot farther down the island in elevation than Jaren (Jaren is around 1500 feet up, while J'Taeri is around 700).

(Yes, I did actually model Ae'gura in Unity before I committed it to map form. That's a normal thing that normal people do, right?)

The extra district that's not on my Ae'Gura map is missing simply because it didn't read well when the contour lines of the island were removed, and it struck me as too small to actually be a functional location when I was modeling it. Because there's no contour lines holding you back, though, if you want to put a stalagmite on that side and tuck some buildings away inside it, go for it :).

Overall, it's really difficult to put together a map that accurately depicts D'ni as it's been described and represented over the years, because there are contradictions everywhere once you start seriously looking at everything. I also didn't really want to have to rely on Uru as the definitive source for the maps, because it's still just a game, with bugs and technical limitations aplenty that hamper the scope of what's possible in the imaginary place-space of a tabletop RPG. I did my best to marry what Uru players are familiar with to the arguably grander scope of the Cavern that we've seen in the novels and original Uru concept art, and come up with what I hope is an acceptable, comprehensible compromise.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:58 am 
Obduction Backer

I didn't see any real conflict in the elevation data for the various locations, because a moment's thought made me realize this: D'ni is located in subterranean caverns. Caverns are not level. Elevations in a given cavern's floor will vary radically. Having had that pop into my head cleared up the idea that Ashem'en could have a lower water elevation than the lake around the island.

The backdrops used for the Great Tree Pub and the Er'cana Silo are the worst thing you can use as evidence, because they used exactly the same file for both locations, and that file was preproduction concept artwork of a design that was not used. The difference between the Pub and the Silo was that for the silo, they rendered it in a lower resolution, stretched it vertically a little, and darkened it.

The backdrops were never really meant to be seen directly, so cannot be used as reliable way of placing the location of either building.

One thing that can be taken from the Pub model is that J'taeri was as much vertical as horizontal. It was a series of tunnels and rooms hollowed out of the side of Ae'gura island all the way down to very near the waterline, although we also know that there were meant to be some surface buildings as well from the clay model of the island. Also going by the clay model, it looks like it stretched from just above the Guild Hall capital around the western side of the island. The pub was supposedly located at the waterline on the southeastern side.

Just to make things worse, there is one existing exterior view of the Great Tree Pub available. It's a very brief glimpse in the Uru opening animation. In the animation, it's set in the foreground with the same backdrop behind it... which would put it nowhere near Ae'gura itself, much less J'taeri! By that view, the pub would be just outside the Er'cana Silo. :roll:

# 11308

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Caverns may not be level, but water certainly is. If the silo is supposed to connect directly to the lake as implied by the game (since feeding pellets into the solo feeds the lake at large), then it can't be substantially higher or lower than the lake's water level (and there is no evidence that the lake is terraced in any way, so all of the water in the lake is at the same elevation, as dictated by physics). Similarly, it is fundamentally impossible for Kirel to be at the elevation Uru says it is, because it has the same view of Ae'gura as Bevin, meaning it is in the main Cavern and thus certainly not under the level of the lake. Other things can certainly be lower than the lake's shoreline, but those two things are not on that list.

Like I said, contradictions abound, because if J'Taeri is supposed to be a vertical pile (which is only evidenced by flymoding into areas of the game not meant to be seen by players), then that utterly contradicts with every description of it in the novels. As I said, I took it as my task to try to marry all of the available material into a cohesive whole that makes some semblance of sense to people who have played Uru, as well as people who are only familiar with the novels, as well as people who don't know anything about the setting, and do so in a way that can be depicted on a single, top-down 2D map.

Again though, the Unwritten maps are NOT definitive or declarative or canon. If you disagree with what I chose to do, that's fine. I'm just explaining the decision-making process that went into the layout I chose to use for the purposes of giving Unwritten players a starting point, should they choose to use it. If you want to play Unwritten and use Uru as your sole source of map reference, you're welcome to.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:10 am 
Obduction Backer

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

# 11308

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Back in September of 2013 a few of us tried to come up with an in-game explanation for the silo and Kirel being below lake level with the KI coordinates being correct. In game there is no reason the KI wouldn't be correct. Basically the thought was they must be in different caverns.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26792

The bottom platform in the silo is below lake level, so the water around it must be even lower. Kirel's background is different (reversed) and there is no telescope, so perhaps it was not meant to be with the other hoods.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

# 11308

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

# 11308

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next