It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Way back on Until Uru
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:20 am 

we had access to some abilities to jump really high so we could get on top of a few different buildings. Is this still possible? Something tells me it was a KI mod or something like that. not sure, been so long ago.

I'm waiting on word for my avatar name approval and haven't been in yet lol.

Slackers 00076610
H'URU 0027226
Garden Club 00028790

Current: 05891706

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:36 am 

Jumping was a function of the UserKI. I don't know who made it, but it was in common circulation among the explorers. You could use it to jump as high as you had patience for, which enabled some terrific marker art. People designed Christmas trees and other seasonal decorations. Of course, you had to have the marker game to see the art.

The /jump command worked in, I think, 50-unit increments; if you wanted to go higher, you repeated it. Some people used spreadsheets to figure out where to place markers, and their art is beautifully precise. I used the command to put "stars" above the Tokotah Rooftop for the parties, but I just went freehand, pacing things out on the ground to make constellations. We had the Big Dipper way up there... it could be seen only from the far end of the Rooftop, and looking straight up.

You could also use it to /spawn around the cavern, to certain fixed points in sequence. There used to be a reference KI-mail that listed the functions.

It was very handy for repeat explorers trying to get things done, but it also intruded upon the exploration nature of the game. There are trade-offs in everything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:23 am 
Obduction Backer

This is generally called "Skydiving" now and was removed during one of the nifty physics updates a couple of years ago.

HOWEVER!

Kind and intrepid explorers/coders worked on this and Lyrositor crafted a client you can download which gives you the old physics back if you want them. I have never tried it but here is a thread discussing it.
Be sure to check the whole thread for updates over time.

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26610

Welcome back and have fun!

Ventris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:19 am 
Obduction Backer

It seems more likely that cyanna is referring to what Lord Chaos mentions, the UserKI, than to what ventris mentions, skydiving or more specifically “combo jumps”, since the latter were only discovered during MOULa.

To answer the question, no, there is no UserKI in MOULa. Since it’s open source now, you can make your own client (or use one built by others) to do similar things, but I don’t recommend that unless you really know what you’re doing, as you can do a lot of damage that way.

However, there are a couple of bots (computer-controlled avatars) in the game that allow you to do similar things as the UserKI in their own age instances. Look out for Magic Bot (KI 27527) or Mir-o-Bot (KI 32319) and PM them “help” to get a KI-mail with instructions.

Cyan asks that you refrain from doing anything likely to affect other people’s enjoyment of the game, in particular using effects not available from a standard client in public ages, but using the bots in their own ages or experimenting in your private ages is fair game.

To expand on the skydiving topic, the “combo jump” (and related the “zip line launch”) were combinations of physics engine glitches with skilled jumping that allowed you to reach considerable heights or other unusual locations in certain places. They were not possible in Until Uru yet because it used a different physics engine, and fell by the wayside in MOULa when the physics engine implementation was improved as ventris mentions. Skydiving (climbing to unusual places, and optionally jumping out of the age from there, which gave rise to the term) is still possible even with the standard client in some places, although it seems like most people doing it use the skydiver client (the one that preserves the old physics glitches).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:25 pm 

Thanks for the replies. Yes we spent many an hour on the top of the building by the ferry and I remember a glow feature we could enable that worked like a flashlight at times. Its been a long time and I still need to find my book I kept notes in. UserKi sounds familiar. Back when we were not getting anything new and we were on different shards (I was on Tapestry) I remember we used to explore to find unusual places to hang out. Still trying to find my St Patricks Day Video I made (been through a few computers since then) as I was one of the "camera crew" for the parade and it was either the first or 2nd one we did. I remember we were all doing a test of the server to see what it could handle and crashing it a few times lol.

Slackers 00076610
H'URU 0027226
Garden Club 00028790

Current: 05891706

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Good old /jump1 - /jump5 ... They were 10 foot increments. ;)

All stripped down from the adminKI. I think D'Lanor was the one responsible for putting it all together? That stuff was coded and released before I even joined the community... Or learned how to code.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
Good old /jump1 - /jump5 ... They were 10 foot increments. ;)

All stripped down from the adminKI. I think D'Lanor was the one responsible for putting it all together? That stuff was coded and released before I even joined the community... Or learned how to code.

Yes, and I seem to remember one particular KI you made for one particular aspiring admin. :P

Good times, good times. ;)