It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:04 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:49 am 
Obduction Backer

As was previously announced at the latest All-Guilds Meeting, I have recently been working on a new project which I call Lyrobot. To sum up, he is an artificial intelligence similar in some ways to OHB's OHBot, with a few differences nonetheless. Chief among them, Lyrobot can be controlled by explorers through his web interface, although he is also capable of automatically handling some functions through in-game commands (try talking to him! :D ).

Well today (or tomorrow for some; time is relative, you know?), Lyrobot becomes public! He has been alpha- and beta-tested these past few days on his beta server, thanks to Boq, OHB, Deledrius, Branan, angelmyst, Gay Hood, ahlisendar, Red Dwarf, Scarchu_BG, Hyperion: Titan of Light, Mayangeline, Heart, Trekluver, Nuxa, Doobes, Stone, AlexVolt, Annabelle, Jacque and koltch (sorry if I forgot anybody! special thanks to Boq for all his help with the programming). Lyrobot, while by no means perfect right now, is now ready for initial release!

Keep in mind the following things when (if) you meet him:
  • The Age Chat will be completely scrapped at some point in the future, as this version is too buggy.
  • Lyroscope will not always work because it requires a computer that's constantly full-screened on Uru.
  • Lyrobot may often be down, as I do not have the resources to dedicate an entire computer to his program.
  • Registration is strictly optional. Consult the help section on the website for information on how to proceed. Lyrobot never does anything without your consent; the only action he makes is buddying you if you talk within his earshot.
  • Lyrobot does not know a lot of commands for now, so keep it simple ("hello", "goodbye", "how are you"...), lest ye burn out his microprocessor!
  • Lyrobot is slow to control from the web as his operating computer is an antiquity and because information has to travel a long distance over the Internet
  • Lyrobot shall stay in The Fun House for the time being, until such as time as Cyan sees fit to let him roam elsewhere - or not.
He'll be in-cavern as often as I can allow for it (although I'll be going on vacation soon, so he'll be away for about a week or two), just standing in The Fun House waiting for input. If you do not wish to talk to him, do not talk to him (this is done by sending a PM to him (not a KI-Mail) or including his name at the beginning or the end of a broadcast message).

KI Number: #18327624

Documentation: http://bot.lyros.net/help.php

EDIT: In answer to concerns expressed below, I wish to make explicitly clear that Lyrobot is in no way affiliated with the Guild of Messengers, although ties with the aforementioned guild and the Guild of New Greeters are planned. :wink:

Last edited by Lyrositor on Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:00 am 

sounds fun :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lyrobot is presently online, and shall stay online for most of the day (this will be the usual schedule).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:33 pm 

I have made it clear in past posts and will continue to do so, bots are not appropriate for this game or ever will be, this is a remarkable world created by the D'ni with a lot of interesting and remarkable tech of a special kind and there are no bots or electronic creations of any kind, their tech is of a very different kind. We have been playing and enjoying this world for many years now without such offensive reminders of the modern world, and they have no place in MOUL URU. Please take your toy to the innovation shard, and leave us in peace in MOUL thank you. I am sure you mean well but you obviously do not know or want to honour the long traditions of the remarkable realm of MOUL URU. Whether you advertised and promoted your toy to the guild or not, that does mot make it acceptable or in tune with the authentic game. I will report any instances of your bot as a exploit to Cyan if and when i see it in the Cavern.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

TOASTERS KNOW YOUR PLACE

I am appalled by the OUTRAGEOUS nature of these explicit HACKS. I demand for the Holy Blue Cyan GODS to descend from on high to smite this evil and ban Lyrositor! For shame!

Praise be to Rand and the perfect URU MOUL!
Cyantology: Are you washed in the Lakewater?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

CrisGer wrote:
...there are no...electronic creations of any kind...

KI: not electronic
Imagers: not electronic
Great Zero: not electronic
Nexus: not electronic
Lights: not electronic
Ahnonay thing: not electronic
The electric generators brought down by the DRC: not electronic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Um, folks?

I was always under the impression that the use of OHBot and Lyrobot were purely optional. If you need them for any purpose (that's E-rated, I mean), they are there. If not, well, I doubt that 'bots suffer from loneliness.

Please, let's not blow this whole thing out of proportion.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Please, let's not blow this whole thing out of proportion.

Indeed. And really since there's no new content or story, we might as well have something to do in the cavern.

Quote:
TOASTERS KNOW YOUR PLACE

I am appalled by the OUTRAGEOUS nature of these explicit HACKS. I demand for the Holy Blue Cyan GODS to descend from on high to smite this evil and ban Lyrositor! For shame!

Praise be to Rand and the perfect URU MOUL!

Amen, brother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:44 pm 

Quote:
KI: not electronic
Imagers: not electronic
Great Zero: not electronic
Nexus: not electronic
Lights: not electronic
Ahnonay thing: not electronic
The electric generators brought down by the DRC: not electronic

And none of the items on this list have any microconrtols or CPUs in them of any kind ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:29 pm 

I thought Rand quite liked OHBot? Said it was amusing or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:08 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Rand liking something doesn't mean that the guys who have to try to maintain the vault integrity will also like it ;)

But I think it's been made clear enough by Cyan's representatives that the use of "hacks" or tools on MOULa within certain bounds of respectful behavior will be considered acceptable.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
Rand liking something doesn't mean that the guys who have to try to maintain the vault integrity will also like it ;)

To clarify, just in case: Lyrobot does not affect the Vault in any way. At most, he creates a KI-Mail and sends it, but that's it. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Very cool, Lyrositor. 8) I particularly like the extensive web interface. Kudos for all the ways you’re taking care that he doesn’t disturb those who don’t want to interact with him, too.

I played with Lyrobot for a bit and have some random suggestions (as far as not dealt with on IRC yet):
  • When I say “register” and he answers “Please specify a password.”, it’s unclear that he wants me to say “register” again with the password, not just the password by itself. How about “I need a password to register you. Try 'register <password>'.” or something like that?
  • It would be nice if he could also answer the question “When is the next portal?”, i.e. the next portal in any pod, not just for a specific pod. The current response is cool though. :) And thumbs up for requiring PM for such spoilers.
  • It occurred to me that a useful command for me would be to be able to turn off the light garden lights from a distance. For some reason they make me lag extremely when on (and I’m looking in their direction) on this computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for your input! :)

Christian Walther wrote:
When I say “register” and he answers “Please specify a password.”, it’s unclear that he wants me to say “register” again with the password, not just the password by itself. How about “I need a password to register you. Try 'register <password>'.” or something like that?

Done!

Christian Walther wrote:
It would be nice if he could also answer the question “When is the next portal?”, i.e. the next portal in any pod, not just for a specific pod.

I'll see what I can do. ;)

Christian Walther wrote:
It occurred to me that a useful command for me would be to be able to turn off the light garden lights from a distance. For some reason they make me lag extremely when on (and I’m looking in their direction) on this computer.

That's planned. I'm thinking about creating a web interface to manage The Fun House's appearance and functionality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:02 pm 

CrisGer wrote:
I have made it clear in past posts and will continue to do so, bots are not appropriate for this game or ever will be, this is a remarkable world created by the D'ni with a lot of interesting and remarkable tech of a special kind and there are no bots or electronic creations of any kind, their tech is of a very different kind. We have been playing and enjoying this world for many years now without such offensive reminders of the modern world, and they have no place in MOUL URU. Please take your toy to the innovation shard, and leave us in peace in MOUL thank you. I am sure you mean well but you obviously do not know or want to honour the long traditions of the remarkable realm of MOUL URU. Whether you advertised and promoted your toy to the guild or not, that does mot make it acceptable or in tune with the authentic game. I will report any instances of your bot as a exploit to Cyan if and when i see it in the Cavern.

CrisGer, my fellow explorer, I know you have a deep love for all things URU and what it is at heart. I do respect that, but honestly, my friend...in the end, it's just a GAME. ;) People will enjoy said game in their own way and you may not like it and choose not to participate if you don't want to; that is your right. However, you would not want anyone badmouthing how you enjoy URU just because we don't "get" it, now would you?

Lyrositor HAS sent word to Cyan about his bot (much like OHB did long ago with OHBot) and is keeping it confined to the (Cyan-sanctioned) Fun House pending their approval. So just treat that particular hood like "the bad part of town" and don't go there. The rest of us will enjoy Ly's most recent creation.

And if you haven't been keeping track, Lyrositor has been one of the more positive influences on the community in recent months. Not only is he a fellow GM at the GoMe, but also a friend, and I applaud him and others like him for doing their part to keep everyone interested and URU alive. That IS the whole point, right? Keeping people involved and that CAVCON up at a high number? :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next