It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Lyrositor wrote:
Would you enjoy being able to link to players' Ages through Lyrobot, assuming they confirm and authorize it?

Well, yes, actually, I had thought about this before. In Second Life, we're able to offer a teleport to anyone. They can either accept and zip to us or decline. It's often used to get stragglers to an event, so I can see where it would be useful for anyone hosting an event in Uru.

Would it be possible to reverse this so that it originates from the location host, offering transport to the person wanting to join them? Just asking if it's possible; not sure if that's the way that most people would want it done. I can see where a host might prefer to just have to accept the requests and not have to be the one issuing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

It could be a two-way thing, yes. I'll start working on this right away. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Awww, you're spoiling us! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:24 pm 

I think that is a good idea :D

The two-ways would provide feedback to the age's owner that someone wants to join them.

I always proceeded this way for linking between ages: I asked the owner beforehand that I would join them through linking process which is faster than through sharing age process. For the opposite, I always told the visitor they could link in my age or I always asked them if they wouldn't mind if I linked them through linking process.

I avoid sending share links that way.

@ Lyrositor: sorry, I really understood it would be a whole URU linking process between ages and not only limited to Fun House instances. Same happened with Lyrobot telling everyone he linked in an age , I thought it was for everyone coming in. My bad. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:23 pm 

Hi Lyrositor,
I have a question ....
On Lyrobot's site, on the page for markers http://bot.lyros.net/markers/ , it only displays a certain number (the last 15 I think)
Is it possible to have a scroll bar there? Or does Lyrobot only remember the last 15 games sent to him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Unfortunately, those last games are the only one Lyrobot has. He had more previously, but due to a clerical error, the five previous ones were deleted accidentally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Lyrositor wrote:
Would you enjoy being able to link to players' Ages through Lyrobot, assuming they confirm and authorize it?

Hmm, no, I don’t think I would enjoy that.

Being able to link at will is a great help for testing and debugging, but on a shard that is intended for playing the game, I’m skeptical about its place.

One of the cornerstones of the Myst universe that appeals to me is that linking works by book, and that that is pretty much the only thing that’s different from our real universe. This has been diluted a lot already by all kinds of Bahro and Yeesha magic. I’d rather not have it diluted even more by a feature like this, no matter how useful it may be when you’re just using the game as a social virtual world.

It’s not “you don’t have to use it if you don’t like it” either. If I don’t use it, but others around me do, that still alters my gameplay experience. (This is akin to one of the reasons why I rarely visited most UU shards and much preferred D’mala: people were just constantly playing with their UserKIs, there was no skill involved in getting to unusual places.)

I’m fine with having this in the Fun House, and maybe also in personal ages of those who want, but if such a feature becomes used pervasively throughout the game, that would be likely to lessen my enjoyment of the game.

Can we find a solution to the problem that stays within the limitations of the D’niverse? That would be a much more interesting challenge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

You make a point, which I had thought about. Unfortunately, no alternate suggestion comes to my mind, so since I assume a great deal of people may have the same opinion, until a viable alternative is presented, I'll put this on hold then. :?

EDIT: Had an idea... how about you get asked, and if you accept, Lyrobot offers his Linking Book to you, and upon touching it, you get linked to the invited Age? It's still not the same thing, but right now, that's the only option I can think of. Not sure if it's feasible either.

EDIT 2: I think I have a better idea. Upon accepting the invite, a link appears in your Nexus, linking to that specific Age - even if it is an Age you don't own. That link is then deleted after a certain period of time (expiration date = 15 min?). This doesn't break gameplay, since the Nexus is an accepted means of transportation throughout the Ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:43 pm 

My problem with this is it would probably need access to the vault in areas other then TFH which Cyan may not like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

This would require no modification on the Vault that strays from the normal procedure; Uru is programmed to accept invites and remove them, Lyrobot would simply be sending an invite to an Age and then revoking it, with the only difference being the linked-to Age - which the Vault doesn't care about in any case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:07 pm 

Oh... sound like it should not be a problem then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lyrositor wrote:
EDIT: Had an idea... how about you get asked, and if you accept, Lyrobot offers his Linking Book to you, and upon touching it, you get linked to the invited Age? It's still not the same thing, but right now, that's the only option I can think of. Not sure if it's feasible either.

I like that idea. It doesn’t make things much easier than a traditional Nexus invite though (the visitor needs to link to where Lyrobot is, which probably isn’t any easier than linking to the Nexus), so I don’t know how big demand would be.

Lyrositor wrote:
EDIT 2: I think I have a better idea. Upon accepting the invite, a link appears in your Nexus, linking to that specific Age - even if it is an Age you don't own. That link is then deleted after a certain period of time (expiration date = 15 min?). This doesn't break gameplay, since the Nexus is an accepted means of transportation throughout the Ages.

Sounds good, but I see little reason to involve Lyrobot in this (other than that getting changes into Lyrobot is faster than getting them into MOULa) – it’s hardly a Grey-Hat action, but something that everyone should be able to do. So, better implement an /invite command directly in the KI, as a shortcut to the current way of sending invites. (There actually is an /invite command, but I don’t understand what it does. Nothing that deals with age invites as we know them, it seems. Probably some half-implemented residue.)

Both of these don’t really come close to the practical usefulness of the original proposal, in particular because they don’t include a warp to (near) the invitor, which I see no way of implementing within D’ni linking rules. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

The invite command was for Gametap, I think.
Your proposal as a command makes sense, though; I like it. I'll start working on that instead then. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
There actually is an /invite command, but I don’t understand what it does. Nothing that deals with age invites as we know them, it seems. Probably some half-implemented residue.

You were supposed to be able to put an e-mail address after the command and it would send an invitation to that person to sign up and play MOUL under GameTap. But, I don't believe it ever worked, at least it never did for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

No, that was /sendinvite. And it did once work for me, in Rehearsal – at least I still have a few test e-mails I sent to myself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next