It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:08 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

TOOO wrote:
I thought it was Ayoheek?

Whoops, apparently it's Ahyoheek, I knew it had an "ah" being that is one of the only D'ni letters I can consistently remember (it looks like a 2), but no n sound in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

I seem to recall it being called Jalak Dador in Rehearsal for some reason. Unfortunately, those forums are now hidden, so I cannot verify my vague recollection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:48 pm 

I too recall seeing "Jalak Dador" somewhere, and I never delved too deeply into things.

And props to the people who know D'ni well enough to give us the linguistic connections! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ehren wrote:
Sometimes people will refer to the age of (but not the person of) Kadish as "Kadish Tolesa" but that makes more sense since that's the age's rarely used FULL name. You know it's the real full name because you can see it in the journal by Yeesha in Relto. I would guess it was invented to make the distinction of referring to the specific age, not just Kadish in general.

Was this maybe a reference to the vault where you pick the butterflies and helmet? Kadish/Tolesa?

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Mac_Fife wrote:
From RAWA's remarks, it seems like "Jalak Dador" was circulating within Cyan, so I wouldn't put it past a ResEng during GameTap days to have slipped the "Jalak Dador" out during an in-cavern conversation as a bit of devilment.

This has been making me crazy since I always thought that was the official name. So, I did a little searching... On the DRC site, it's simply Jalak; on the Guild of Greeter's What's New? page for August 2, 2007, it says, "Jalak Dador Age released by DRC, KI-mail issued" (wish I had a pic of that KI mail). Then, I checked my chatlogs starting with the release date and the earliest mention I can find is August 8th during a Newcomer Orientation:

ResEng W. Cowart wrote:
New Books are coming out as frequently as the DRC can release them. Most recently, the newest Age, Jalak Dador, has been released and is available in the city library.

Now I don't know what to believe since Mr. Cowart had a reputation for always going by the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:00 pm 

I got the "Dador" part from the Journal in the City back in MOUL1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:31 pm 
Ken Telinome wrote:
And props to the people who know D'ni well enough to give us the linguistic connections! :D

Thanks! There aren't too many of us left now...

Charura wrote:
Was this maybe a reference to the vault where you pick the butterflies and the helmet?

It is possible that Tolesa could refer to the vault. Still don't know what it would mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

The name Jalak Dador came up because during Rehearsal that is the name that appeared in the age list when you submitted a ticket through the Support. The name got out into the general public that way, but by the time the age went live all information in game about the age just referred to it as Jalak.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Which maybe serves to confirm it as an "in-joke" amongst the developers prior to release. It's funny though: The first time I came across the "Jalak Dador" reference (not that I recall were that was) I immediately got the "D'ya lock da door" going through my head, then discarded it. So I'm suprised when I hear people saying that it never occurred to them. Maybe you need to be warped in a particular way ;).

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Calumon wrote:

What journal? The journal by the Jalak link book only says "Jalak".

Also, how do they get "D'ya" from a word starting with J? LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:46 pm 

Ehren wrote:
Calumon wrote:

Presently, it says "Jalak," but I recall it used to say "Jalak Dador" at one point.

Try saying "did ya" out loud really fast, it'll sound like a "Dijya."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Calumon wrote:
Ehren wrote:
Calumon wrote:

Presently, it says "Jalak," but I recall it used to say "Jalak Dador" at one point.

Actually it never said Jalak Dador. In fact in MOUL it never said Jalak except on the cover. At least when initially released. It seems this was added at some point, probably when making the move to MOULa. When I converted this journal into a python file for use in other places, I took from the original localization files for MOUL. These just had the journal starting with "We still haven't figured out..."

Source for original's translation date: Jalak translation

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:40 am 

ChloeRhodes wrote:
Calumon wrote:
Ehren wrote:
Calumon wrote:

Actually it never said Jalak Dador. In fact in MOUL it never said Jalak except on the cover. At least when initially released. It seems this was added at some point, probably when making the move to MOULa. When I converted this journal into a python file for use in other places, I took from the original localization files for MOUL. These just had the journal starting with "We still haven't figured out..."

Source for original's translation date: Jalak translation

Well, I don't know where I heard the "Dador" from, then! That's the only place I ever remember seeing it before. 0_0;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

ChloeRhodes wrote:
The name Jalak Dador came up because during Rehearsal that is the name that appeared in the age list when you submitted a ticket through the Support. The name got out into the general public that way, but by the time the age went live all information in game about the age just referred to it as Jalak.
I remember 'Jalak Dador" (= Did you lock the door?) being discussed in Rehearsal. Cyan has always had a sense of humour. The War 'Shroom (Washroom) is another wordplay that people may or may not have come across.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
ChloeRhodes wrote:
I remember 'Jalak Dador" (= Did you lock the door?) being discussed in Rehearsal. Cyan has always had a sense of humour. The War 'Shroom (Washroom) is another wordplay that people may or may not have come across.

I assumed that was a play on "War Room" actually.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next