It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:26 pm 

What is "MOULa shard death", are you saying too many shards will be the end of MOULa? If so I don't see how.

The problem is the "nice" bugs may be "nice" now but may create issues for people making ages in the future.

No one can add content to MOULa, weather it be program code or new ages. Only Cyan can do this. OpenURU.Org community members have nogastaied the offical way of giving Cyan new program code to be added to MOULa -- thus the patches we have been geating. At the time of writing this, we have no offical way of giving Cyan fan ages or clothing to be included in the game. Just thought i would clearfiy that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

manloc wrote:
THE shard that need players is the MOULA one.
Too many other shards is MOULA shard death!

I know a multitude of people who use multiple shards. I myself frequent two regularly (Gehn and MO:ULa), as well as others less often. Not to mention Untíl Uru's shard system - several people I know remember fondly that time. Just because there are other shards doesn't mean people won't frequent MO:ULa - we still need a place to hold AGMs, important events, and so on, which other shards can't handle.

manloc wrote:
Other shards are useless and are equal to MOULA shard death!

I'm sure the people who have gone to all the trouble of setting up a shard are thrilled to hear that their shards are "useless".

manloc wrote:
Kill bad bugs if you want, but let the nice bugs here!

It's all a matter of perspective. For Skydivers, some bugs are good. However, for the majority of players (which I don't believe are Skydivers), they are bad, or at least disruptive. Remember also that with a new physics model comes new bugs, as Christian Walther mentioned earlier on, which might even be more interesting.

manloc wrote:
The priority is not to kill bugs but no create NEW content.

A "good" Writer is not a "I rebuild the game without bugs", but a "I use open source content to create new content"...

We have no "open source content" beyond Plasma, the game engine, and the Max plugin, which means that more or less the only thing Writers can do currently is to fix bugs. Programmers can add new features, like the long-awaited Mac/Linux support, but that requires fixing old bugs, including these ones.

manloc wrote:
And please, if you really love this game, respect its communities!

This coming from the person who has accused the Guild of Writers and of Messengers of harboring spies, the maintainers of Gehn and TOC of plotting against others, who has called for boycotting of Lyrobot and Stone's bot, who calls other peoples' shards "useless", who has been spreading FUD about TOC... Please excuse me if I'm not entirely sympathetic to your cause.

That being said, I'll do my best to help us reach a compromise through my client, which lets skydivers enjoy the new features WITHOUT the physics changes, and which lets regular players play as before.

Jamie Marchant wrote:
For Plasma it's actually a bit more complex then that as Plasma uses Cmake and a bunch of dependicies like PhyiscX that can not distributed with the client. I *might*(more lickly yes then no but I have to see how busy I am) be willing to compile Lyrositors skydiving client for you but I would not be willing too do any tweaks on the physics.

Actually, there's no need for CMake, as this is a CWE-ou clone. You can request to have the Foundry build your client automatically, courtesy of rarified! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:01 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Some people seems to be seeing offence where I suspect none is intended, but the level of antagonism is this thread is sufficient for me to close it. This is a subject that has been debated (with equal fervour) at various times over the past 12 months or more, and there's little prospect I see that it will ever be resolved entirely amicably.

What should be clear to everyone that this is a subject that, for some, can lead to polarized opinions. The bottom line is that there is no right or wrong here, and more importantly, from Cyan's perspective there is no way to keep everyone happy.

The fan developers will work on whatever they feel needs to be fixed and whatever they can fix/improve. Long may that continue. But Cyan is under no obligation to adopt all (or any) of the fixes that those developers produce, and will choose what seems appropriate to adopt. Cyan no doubt choose to adopt what seems to move the development of the game forward in the direction its own developers would have wished to go. Other shards may choose alternative paths - that's the freedom that comes with open source.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Last edited by Mac_Fife on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4