It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Stone wrote:
Who are you guys arguing with

Didn't read an argument at all in this thread...unless I missed it

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:47 pm 

korovev wrote:
Skydivers are starting to sound like vinyl nostalgics: they grew fond of a flaw and they call it a feature :roll:

Thanks for this constructive and senseful thought... Have you been told to turn your tongue 7 times before opening your mouth?

You should have done it

What do you know about skydiving? N-O-T-H-I-N-G ... go back to your "tremendous" activities :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:54 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Acorn1 wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
What I find remarkable is that Adam's major in college is not even in the Computer Sciences. So lots of talent there.

And don't forget his Pulitzer Prize! :wink: :lol:

I announced it. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the support guys :)

Stone wrote:
I get that us skydivers are unwelcome here and our opinions don't count.

Uh, no one said that. What we are saying is that the skydiving metagame is an exploit for a bug. And, like any bug, you should not rely on its continued existence. That's not an opinion, it's a fact of life. I'm very sorry if you're having trouble accepting it. If you would really like to continue with your metagame, I would encourage you to create your own MOSS shard that keeps the bugs intact (this is not necessarily easy). I believe the Marker Editor client will have enough functionality that you can save your MOULa marker games and upload them to your "Skydiving Shard." This way, everyone can be happy.

Annabelle wrote:
Thanks for this constructive and senseful thought... Have you been told to turn your tongue 7 times before opening your mouth?

Please explain why you think this relevant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:04 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
updates that bring more interesting things, like native Mac and Linux clients ever so slightly closer

The most relevant comment of the thread, and it get completely glossed over :roll:

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:46 am 
Obduction Backer

I really don't get what the compliant is about. I have no idea what is or how it works (Skydiving).

In life you must make scarifies, so in order for new content to be added you must give up skydiving but if you don't give up the skydiving then new content never comes. And Yes this deals with fan ages or new content being imported in MOULa. If needs fixing let be done but if you like the bugs and crashes then remember what I said.

There I put my two cents in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:28 am 
Obduction Backer

I believe this thread was started in reaction to inflammatory language used in cavern, not to stuff posted to the forum which had generally been reasonable. As a newcomer reading through years of posts I'm sorry that some skydivers and some improvers feel so disrespected by each other every time a change comes. Since their goals are mutually exclusive it is not hard to see why they would feel this way.

As someone in the middle I'd like to thank the skydivers for working to find interesting ways to play with the game pieces when the game was over and the writers for working to get the game started again. Both groups have worked for years knowing their endeavors could be cancelled and erased at any time by forces beyond their control.

Thanks all in cavern and out for keeping it going.

Last edited by ventris on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:51 am 

AdamJohnso wrote:

Annabelle wrote:

Please explain why you think this relevant.

Because I'm trying to explain to a deaf man...korovev, that his first comment was completely irrelevant, selfish, inappropriate, & hateful.

And he keeps commenting...

Thing is you can improve this game all you want. I don't care. Just leave us the opportunity to play ON MOULa with a proper client, the skydiving client, and let it be. <--- thing I've said already and even Emor, a brilliant guy, remarked :lol: (that's awesome...it's written black on white at least in Canada... maybe in other countries, Internet doesn't render text so well :wink: :lol: )

Having fool comments coming from korovev about old vynils lovers is just pityful. It would be equivalent (I don't think that BTW, it's an example...) for me saying: you guys and your improvements, you'll make the game boring. What would it brings? Absolutely nothing. Just hate among community. This is what the troll, korovev, is doing right now, spreading zizanie.

Someone with enough brilliance can re-read my first post on this same exact thread and will see why this subject is elonging since 8 to 10 posts and it's going completely irrelevant, deaf dialogues & foremost, a troll.

If you want to keep congratulate yourself and having people praise your high knowledge, open a new thread, this one should end right now.

A brilliant being willl know that :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:00 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
Uh, no one said that. What we are saying is that the skydiving metagame is an exploit for a bug. And, like any bug, you should not rely on its continued existence. That's not an opinion, it's a fact of life. I'm very sorry if you're having trouble accepting it.

One could make the same argument that you shouldn't rely on ANYTHING'S continued existence because it COULD go away.

People should realize that things will not always end up the way they want, that they will have disappointments. BUT that doesn't mean they shouldn't still be voicing their opinions and concerns to at least have a CHANCE of having things the way they want.

Don't talk down to them as if are just immature and can't "accept change" or even necessarily "rely" on a glitches existence just because they are fighting for their preference.

Personally, losing the combo jumps would not be a huge loss to me, I couldn't do a lot of them because they were so dependent on computer speed... But I can sympathize with them since I do have a couple glitches that I would be upset to lose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:16 am 
Obduction Backer

Ehren wrote:
One could make the same argument that you shouldn't rely on ANYTHING'S continued existence because it COULD go away.

We could say the same about the universe itself in that entropy finally wins out over us and everything ceases to exist. But we don't do that because the probability of that happening at the current time is quite low. We could also say that MOULa might disappear tomorrow, so there's no sense in relying on it, either. This is also an unlikely scenario, given that Cyan has reserved the server instances for quite some time. Bugs, on the other hand are meant to be fixed. Given that the game code now has maintainers, it is likely that they will indeed be fixed. This likelihood is increased exponentially when the system in question is consistently pointed out as something that needs to be upgraded/fixed by the people who are maintaining the game code. Therefore, it can be logically concluded that reliance on bugs that create the skydiving metagame is not necessarily a wise choice of action. I'm sorry if you feel that realism (and my method of communication) is "talking down" to people, because it's not. Believe it or not, I do sympathize. I am however wholly unimpressed with both the timing and manner in which this subject is being brought up.

Annabelle wrote:
A brilliant being willl know that :roll: :roll: :roll:

I would ask why you think this is necessary, but I find that my original point did not quite find its mark. I was trying to subtly tell you that ad hominem (attacking the person instead of the message) is inappropriate and doesn't give people (like me and Lyrositor) fuzzy feelings for your case.

I notice that no one has responded to my suggestion of setting up a Skydiving Shard with a special client for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:31 am 

AdamJohnso wrote:
I notice that no one has responded to my suggestion of setting up a Skydiving Shard with a special client for it.

That's a *heek* of *shale* of a great idea!!!

As a Messeger and a Crier, I give it my full support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:46 am 
Obduction Backer

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/workflow.png
That's all I have to say

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Looking over the past few years, it's interesting to note how Myst Online has evolved. It started out as a role-playing game, with Cyan acting as Game Master. When Cyan could no longer afford to do that, we found our own ways to amuse ourselves, and somehow Myst Online turned into a social venue with puzzles. Those of us who have been with Myst Online ran out of new puzzles, and some people found ways to exploit old flaws for their amusement.

When I first joined Myst Online way the heck back in 2007, the Skydivers - as I knew them under Watashi - were nothing like they've become. All we did was simply find interesting places to jump from, to see how far we could fall before Relto-ing out, not climbing all over collision walls for its own sake. Annabelle's vision is far different from that - and she has completely redefined Myst Online Skydiving. Perhaps she should have come up with a different name for her activities, instead of appropriating the name (and Hood) of Skydiving. But that's just my opinion, and yes, I realize she has Watashi's blessing (as far as I know) on this. (Really, I have no problem with Annabelle or her activities - I'm just uncomfortable with her calling it Skydiving.)

I agree with the idea of a Skydiving shard. It really is a win-win situation. Myst Online is about to evolve again, as we prepare the way for player content (someday). The whole idea behind a new build is to remove bugs, and improve gameplay. If those who have made a sport of exploiting those bugs have to lose out, so be it. Cyan has its own vision for Myst Online.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle, why are you being so dismissive/defensive about this? :?

I certainly understand why changes like this might frustrate you, but it's no reason to get angry like this about it. :)

The suggestion of a skydiving shard is a good one, and one that the skydivers should definitely consider. I fully stand by OU and the GoW for pushing this update to Cyan, as it will improve the standard gameplay. However, I also understand why you still want to skydive in Uru. In the case of a shard, there's actually the potential there for you guys to implement things that you used to be able to do in the Until Uru era. In one way, it opens a bigger door for the skydivers than the one that's been open to you for skydiving on MOULa.

Anyways, that's my opinion on the matter. Everyone feel free to tell me I'm a horrible person for standing by these folks, even though they've worked their buts off to implement these physics fixes (which, by the way folks, is going to change later down the road anyways, when Bullet physics is finally introduced...). The least anyone could do is show them a little respect about it, even if it's not your favorite thing in the world.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Trekluver wrote:
...even though they've worked their buts off to implement these physics fixes (which, by the way folks, is going to change later down the road anyways, when Bullet physics is finally introduced...). The least anyone could do is show them a little respect about it, even if it's not your favorite thing in the world.

As a general rule, the amount of work put in to something doesn't automatically make that something a good thing. I assume you also stand by them for the content of the fixes, not just the effort/time put into it.

Also, I assume you are talking about some of the shards? There is no reason to think the main MOULa shard is going to change away from PhysX.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next