It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Zandi's Trailer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've been searching off and on for awhile now, and can't find a real-life match for Zandi's trailer. The only things I know about it is that it's and Airstream, and the game files mention "Streamline".

Has anyone else ever identified the exact model and year of it?

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Post subject: Re: Zandi's Trailer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:01 pm 

I think if there was an exact model of it it would havta be a custom job, If I recall correctly its self propelled and drives from on top of the roof. It does kinda look like an Airstream but they do not have there own engines.

In Uru CC their is a rather long Easter egg that allows you do drive it, but it gets a bit unstable when you crash it which is probably why the drive-ability was not added to the live version. The Easter egg still exist in the live version if you wanna check it out, however you may encounter some issues if you get to close :mrgreen:

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm not talking about the Zandoni. I meant the actual trailer that's near the Cleft. I want to know it's year and model number for my web site. Among other things, I hope to post a floor plan for it.

I have found models that looked similar, but the layout of the door, windows, access panels and lights never matched up.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Karkadann wrote:
I think if there was an exact model of it it would havta be a custom job, If I recall correctly its self propelled and drives from on top of the roof. It does kinda look like an Airstream but they do not have there own engines.
As you pointed out, the ability to drive it was just an Easter Egg. I don't think Cyan intended to imply that the Airstream was actually driveable and certainly not from the roof of it. That part was just the Easter Egg.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:24 pm 

thats weird I was under the impression it was the same one cuz I thought the trailer is gone when you open the Easter egg. Ill havta check that out again

thanks

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:06 pm 

Jeff Zandi's father Elias Zandi was well known in archaeological circles and I beleive the old Airstream could have been own by him.

In 2004 rxbandit3768 found the real plate (post #41)...

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/10 ... ost5039442

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:12 pm 

I Googled a bit.... Zandi's seems to most closely match a 'Silver Streak'-- Silver-Streak is apparently not the same company as Airstream-- but like the OP said, none of the models I saw are quite an exact match for the windows, etc.

Still, this comes close:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

I found this page:

http://www.tincantourists.com/wiki/doku.php?id=silver_streak#.VlIzbb_Ip4w

And this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA6wo4GujEU

And one more... looks like some models of Silver Streak come with a retractable awning, like the one on Zandi's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXpxQ89HTNE

Edit to add:

Incidentally, the music in that second video is Wayne Newton's classic 1963 hit "Danke Schoen" followed by Sergio Mendes and Brazil '66 & their 1968 cover of Simon & Garfunkel's "Scarborough Fair".

Edit again, to add.. well, hard to tell if Zandi's trailer is a Silver Streak "Sabre" or a "Continental"-- perhaps it's some fusion as it looks a little shorter than the Continental but longer than the Sabre, and the windows on the port-side seem to be an amalgam of both models:

Sabre, port-side:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Continental, port-side:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

You see? Front to back on Zandi's -- starts with the two large windows like the Sabre, then the one small window and a large like the back half of the Continental.

Good news is.. the windows are probably a good way to determine what the floorplan looks like. I bet, for example, that small window may look out from over the sink of a kitchenette, etc.

Another issue is.. just by googling, I can't see how the design of Silver Streak trailers has changed a whole LOT between 1945 and 1974 so I'm not sure how to precisely date it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:41 am 
Obduction Backer

Artic_Wagon wrote:

He didn't. The registration number is completely wrong. Zandi's plate is 050A; the one he found is 7500. The issuing county at the top of the plate is a Cyan joke. It's marked "Zandillo".

However, what he really did discover was the period that the trailer would have been registered to the Zandis, which was sometime in the 1990's, and that's about the time they discovered D'ni.

HarveyMidnight wrote:
I Googled a bit.... Zandi's seems to most closely match a 'Silver Streak'-- Silver-Streak is apparently not the same company as Airstream-- but like the OP said, none of the models I saw are quite an exact match for the windows, etc.

Another issue is.. just by googling, I can't see how the design of Silver Streak trailers has changed a whole LOT between 1945 and 1974 so I'm not sure how to precisely date it.

You could well be on to something. The brass fittings on the outside and the stripe colors are about right. After looking around some myself, I'd place it around the 1970s, maybe. There are a few between 1973 and 1975 that seem to get pretty close.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:45 pm 

larryf58 wrote:
Artic_Wagon wrote:

He didn't. The registration number is completely wrong. Zandi's plate is 050A; the one he found is 7500. The issuing county at the top of the plate is a Cyan joke. It's marked "Zandillo"

Sorry my bad larryf58. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Artic_Wagon wrote:
larryf58 wrote:
Artic_Wagon wrote:

Sorry my bad larryf58. :oops:

Nothing to be embarrassed about. He claimed it was, saying "Crazy... it is the EXACT same plate!". Apparently he didn't check the little, subtle details... like the registration number and county not being the same other than having 0s and 5s in them. (^_^);

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Okay, Silver Streak was the wrong tree to bark at. I poked around some more today, and found out that Streamline is indeed a trailer company or series.

The 1964 Streamline Duke comes closer to Zandi's than anything else I've seen so far. It's not an exact match, but the stripes, bumpers, lights, (most of the) access doors and number of windows matches. There is an extra access panel of some kind on the door side, and the left side windows aren't an exact match, but... it's close. Very, very close.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:00 pm 

Thank you larryf58 for the amazing find :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Maybe RAWA 2.0 could shed some light here (when he is able, of course)... Or, even better yet... David Ogden Stiers :shock:

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:10 am 

larryf58 wrote:
Okay, Silver Streak was the wrong tree to bark at. I poked around some more today, and found out that Streamline is indeed a trailer company or series.

The 1964 Streamline Duke comes closer to Zandi's than anything else I've seen so far. It's not an exact match, but the stripes, bumpers, lights, (most of the) access doors and number of windows matches. There is an extra access panel of some kind on the door side, and the left side windows aren't an exact match, but... it's close. Very, very close.

Yeah.. I even did a quick search for 'Streamline Duke' and some of those mid 60's models have the same 'three reflectors' and the same tarp attachment that Zandi's trailer has. I guess all these trailer companies just 'borrowed' each other's ideas left and right...

The difficulty seems to be matching the same shape and number of windows, on the side opposite the door. That's probably an area to focus on, in the search.

Charura wrote:
Maybe RAWA 2.0 could shed some light here (when he is able, of course)... Or, even better yet... David Ogden Stiers :shock:

Hmmm.. THIS might go somewhere: One of the people I heard mentioned, as I was whippin' thru Youtube looking for trailers, was this guy:

http://www.thecannedhamman.com/

The canned ham man!!

He has a business refurbishing vintage trailers--- a fact which could qualify him as an 'expert'. Someone could email him some screencaps, and see if he can specifically identify a model that most closely matches??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

HarveyMidnight wrote:
Yeah.. I even did a quick search for 'Streamline Duke' and some of those mid 60's models have the same 'three reflectors' and the same tarp attachment that Zandi's trailer has. I guess all these trailer companies just 'borrowed' each other's ideas left and right...

There's a reason for it. According to one reference I found, two guys who worked with Airstream had their own ideas about what they wanted in a trailer and broke away to form Streamline. Later, they had a disagreement about the frame construction. One of them wanted two lengthwise supports, and the other wanted three. The guy who wanted three support beams left and founded Silverstreak. So Streamline and Silverstreak were effectively branches of the Airstream design philosophies.

Quote:
The difficulty seems to be matching the same shape and number of windows, on the side opposite the door. That's probably an area to focus on, in the search.

Some of that is accounted by the fact that there were often up to three standard variations of the same model year. If a double bed was wanted instead of singles, they used a convertible sofa at the head of the trailer as the bed, and used the space at the tail end for other things. In the double bed version of the Duke, you get the pattern of four windows on the side of the trailer seen on Zandi's version. The problem is that the floor plan I saw doesn't have the rear window on the door side.

Quote:
One of the people I heard mentioned, as I was whippin' thru Youtube looking for trailers, was this guy: The canned ham man!!

He has a business refurbishing vintage trailers--- a fact which could qualify him as an 'expert'. Someone could email him some screencaps, and see if he can specifically identify a model that most closely matches??

Looked at the web site, and just about all of the trailers there were oddities with single axle wheel arrangements. But the idea is sound, if a person or group who specializes in the Airstream family can be found. I just grabbed some screencaps yesterday to see if they'd be better than the KI pics.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni