It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:48 am 

I came up with a 'devious' plan recently... I was thinking I could actually print a pic of my avatar from Uru; since I made my avatar look just like me, and it mostly has clothes on which I own, I decided to dress up this year for Halloween... as my avatar--- only, if anyone asks, show them the pic and tell them I am dressed as a video game character, from Uru: Ages Beyond Myst.

I'll just leave out the minor detail of the fact that I designed the character's look myself.

So... past couple of weeks, I have spent a little time acquiring anything I might need to dress as my avatar... got some red sneakers--- painted up some goggles to look like D'ni goggles--- just about to print up a Relto book. I've got a printed KI device on a 'pinback' pinned to one of my fingerless gloves...

I am nearly set!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

You're lucky Harvey. It sounds like you didn't need to do too much in order to look exactly like your avatar.

I'm not so fortunate! I will need to get a nose job, bleach my hair blond... after I get some more hair, lose 50+ pounds (plus buying all new clothes as a result), and have lasik eye surgery so I don't need my glasses (can't wear contact lens).

Oh well, maybe I'll just stay indoors this year and handout candy. :oops:

Buddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:43 pm 

Buddy wrote:
You're lucky Harvey. It sounds like you didn't need to do too much in order to look exactly like your avatar.

I'm not so fortunate! I will need to get a nose job, bleach my hair blond... after I get some more hair, lose 50+ pounds (plus buying all new clothes as a result), and have lasik eye surgery so I don't need my glasses (can't wear contact lens).

Oh well, maybe I'll just stay indoors this year and handout candy. :oops:

Buddy

My advice, then, to you would be to do the opposite. Rather than change yourself to look like your avatar--- change your avatar to look like your real self. The very act provides a connection to Uru on a unique and intimate level.

I'll be honest. When I first started playing Uru, I based my avatar on the 'Druitt' character from Sanctuary, played by Chris Heyerdahl.. I made him bald, gaunt, pale & wore a leather jacket.

Here's the old Harvey:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Here's a photoshopped pic of Druitt I made.. I put D'ni goggles on him!!!

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Well... At some point, I decided I wasn't being genuine.. I heard several other players claiming they based their avatars on themselves... finally, after a few too many sips of Guinness, I decided it was time for some 'radical honesty' -- and I made my avatar look as much like my real self as I could. --- gave myself mundane brown hair, put some age on my face, bumped up my 'build' to an accurate corpulence.. found a simple button-down in the wardrobe...

The 'real' Harvey:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

I haven't looked back; my avatar still looks like 'me'.