It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Guild of Greeters
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:12 pm 

johnsojc wrote:
In any case, the site will either come back or not. I'm not going to mope or whine or blame the GoG for not being able keep it going for more than a decade.

Indeed, we should be grateful they kept it running as long as they did.

OT, I have started adding info to the Guild Of Sleepers forum (which will also get added to the website). You can follow the progress here http://forum.guildofsleepers.org/viewto ... ?f=2&t=390

EDIT: It helps if our forum stays up :roll: which is why I will also put the info on the website ... as both are hosted separately, it is unlikely for both to be down at the same time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:13 am 

Well---- I have made several marker games that provide walkthroughs for several of the Ages.. .in fact, I used information from the Guild of Greeters site in compiling them.

The ones I made were for Minkata and Kadish Tolesa... I also have a marker game that leads you to all the GZM markers-- unfortunately, you can't see the game until after you've found all the GZM markers, so it's a bit counter-intuitive. :shock:

Maybe players could compile a collection of such marker games, in order to have access to in-game walkthroughs for every Age, and for all the bahro stones, etc, that we can exchange between each other? I know the Greeters' site was a lifesaver for me several times, even after repeated play I'd still occasionally get stuck or miss a cloth here & there... a big collection of marker-walkthroughs could take the place of that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Besides the GoS' helpful forums, J'ffrey's MOULa Walkthrough has a nice list of (C)GZMs in pdf form (without pictures, though).

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:00 am 

One thing I did not like about the Guild of Greeters site was it was complete spoilers.
While I see no problem with a list of all the markers and where they are located, for example, I do however, have a problem with a walkthrough for a game where you are supposed to solve things for yourself. What is the point in playing MOULa if a site simply tells you how to do everything?

Therefore, as part of the information I will add to the Guild of Sleepers forum & site, I'll put up hints for each of the Ages. You'll still have to solve it yourself, but if you get stuck and need a nudge, you can look at a hint and figure it out yourself. I did a similar thing for Kadish Tolesa

I'm sorry, every post I make in this thread seems to talk about the Guild of Sleepers.
btw, GoS is Guild of Slackers ... Guild of Sleepers is GoSleep.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:51 am 
Obduction Backer

I try not to tell people how they should or should not play games :wink:
But I agree, my favourite 'walkthroughs' are the UHS ones.

Also, I'd move this thread to the Spoilers, Hints and Tips section.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:56 pm 

Alien wrote:
One thing I did not like about the Guild of Greeters site was it was complete spoilers.

Huh? A walkthrough is, by definition, a complete spoiler that "walks" you through the game. So you dislike a site that provided exactly what it advertised?

A UHS would have been a nice addition but is actually harder to implement than a simple walkthrough. Coming up with a nudge, hint, and spoiler system for a game as unstructured as MOUL is not trivial.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:57 pm 

The Guild of Greeters resource pages were designed exactly as that: resources. Those who wanted specific help with an Age usually didn't know about the resource pages, and would ask for help in a forum post. There, we Greeters would provide hints until the person got where they wanted to be. Sometimes that meant pointing to the walkthrough. It was all designed to respond to varying situations, and worked very well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:01 pm 

Alien wrote:
What is the point in playing MOULa if a site simply tells you how to do everything?

While I agree, the enjoyment of the game is based on solving it yourself.... On the other hand, not every puzzle is for everybody; our brains work differently. I solved several of the more complicated Ages in MOULa without needing a single hint--- but Minkata was completely 'Greek' to me! Even after reading the SOLUTION, I generally know how it works but I would NEVER have been able take the clues given, and arrive at the solution entirely on my own--- my brain just does not work that way. It still took me 4 hours to complete even WITH all the spoilers and
[Reveal] Spoiler:
using the easier 'vector' method.

I seriously doubt there are many people who completed the entire game without at least ONCE needing a spoiler. Even if you did exceptionally well and solved most or all of it yourself.. One day, you could be helping someone else, but not recall the puzzle well, and accidentally send them in the WRONG direction!

Even Alexander the Great didn't manage to 'solve' the great Gordian Knot & untie it, he just cut it in half with a sword.

Where's the fun in just getting stuck, unable to continue, and end up frustrated to the point that you entirely give up on MOULa and never manage to complete it, never see the enjoyment waiting for you further up... when a single "spoiler" or two will allow you to move on?

A concise reference source for the entire game has a lot of value.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

For all the single-player Myst games, you could buy walkthroughs in stores, and now they're all available on the internet. In fact, *every* videogame that has puzzle elements has walkthroughs available.

We still seem to believe that games are worth playing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:59 am 
Obduction Backer

あなたは歓迎 Chiro です。 :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Guild of Greeters had the age walkthroughs separated. I would say that if you didn't have walkthroughs like these some people would get frustrated and just give up. Someone asked me about all the markers in those missions and I couldn't remember them all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:40 am 

Whew! And they're back!!!

Opened a thread over there to welcome their return:
http://forums.guildofgreeters.com/index ... opic=15681

Might wanna show them so kudos!

Be well!
-Nev

***This has been a Cavern Crier OOC special news update***
***No bahro were harmed in the production of this message.***

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:47 am 
Obduction Backer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:41 pm 

semplerfi wrote:
あなたは歓迎 Chiro です。 :wink:

どうもありがとう。semplerfi :D (Thank you very much, semplerfi :D )

GoG revived and was really good.
By the way, was GoG refurbished?
Or did a current site revive?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:40 pm 

It appears the forum software was upgraded and some minor changes were made but it is essentially the same as it has always been. I did not check the website as closely other than to see if it was there. Since the GoG uses a content management system for the website, I doubt anything changed... it would be down more than a couple of weeks if any major changes were made.