It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:51 am 

I am very sorry to hear the news of the closure of this historic and many storied forum. It has been the life blood of the URU world since the many changes ..and a continuity for all of us.

I am unsure if Discord will ever be able to fully replace the chances we have had here to share and share with distance and context. the compressed form of so called social media is in many ways an unfiltered and unfiltereable gossip chain without any real dimension other than the immediacy of the moment.

I will be hopeful as I have in past changes and threats to the URU world. For now I am as always very grateful to Cyan for what they have given us and the staff who have worked with and for us for so long.

I will continue to inhabit the original Cavern and meet and greet with pleasure all explorers old and new and to visit with the ghosts of those of us who have gone on before.

Dr CrisGer

"We Build Worlds"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:56 am 
Obduction Backer

I accept Cyan’s decision, but I would like to note that for me, Discord is not an adequate replacement for a forum. Discord is mostly a chat, not a forum. Both have their uses, but they are different things. Optimized for synchronous communication, a chat encourages higher traffic and lower signal-to-noise ratio, to the point that Cyan Chat Discord is too high-traffic for me to follow. I simply don’t have time for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
I accept Cyan’s decision, but I would like to note that for me, Discord is not an adequate replacement for a forum. Discord is mostly a chat, not a forum. Both have their uses, but they are different things. Optimized for synchronous communication, a chat encourages higher traffic and lower signal-to-noise ratio, to the point that Cyan Chat Discord is too high-traffic for me to follow. I simply don’t have time for it.

I completely agree with you, Christian Walther, except that I don't respect Cyan's decision; that's why I'm leaving the community.
Cyan did too much bad choices since years and this one is the last for me; they even don't respect their fans...
My support since 2002 stops here.

.Shorah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:53 pm 

OK, question to the community .... we have 6 months or less .... will wayback machine save this forum's pages for future viewing or do we need to take steps ourselves?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Will $$$ Help ? and for how long ???

Just a thought and a hope....:))

Hi All !!.....Myst'ya !.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:21 pm 

These people have been blessed with such a loyal and devoted fanbase, yet it feels like they don't give a ~~~~ about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:58 am 
Obduction Backer

adi wrote:
These people have been blessed with such a loyal and devoted fanbase, yet it feels like they don't give a ~~~~ about it.

I know! How dare they close a forum used by about 7 people a day to pool more resources into making games that could potentially make them enough money to run a forum again... Selfish I tells ya, selfish!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:53 am 

Tomala wrote:
adi wrote:

I know! How dare they close a forum used by about 7 people a day to pool more resources into making games that could potentially make them enough money to run a forum again... Selfish I tells ya, selfish!

You of all people that have been here since the board's early days and the game's countless ups and downs, should (SHOULD) understand that it's not about the actual forum itself or its 3 posts per week, it's about the fan community and what it means to each and every one of us.

Cyan has been asking for years for people to spend their hard-earned money either on new releases of the same old games we've played before or overpriced and overhyped new games in hopes to re-establish themselves as a respected company in the gaming field, and people ALWAYS respond. Whenever Cyan says jump, people jump. And they jump as high as Cyan says, because Cyan says so. Whenever Cyan ~~~~~ up people don't say a thing. Because THEY appreciate and respect Cyan and support them whatever they do, because they genuinely love this community and they love to keep it alive.

The least Cyan could have done was to share their concerns with the community and asked for input, for alternatives. There would be plenty of people to support them and respond.
There should be a smoother transition to whatever people will move to next, to facebook or to OpenURU or to the shards' forums or maybe to some Guilds' forums or again somewhere in Second Life or wherever.

I'm sorry but what they did instead was plain stupid and ungrateful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:04 am 

Resentment and negativity is not going to help or change anything here, so let's try not going down that path.
I have been reminded about why I had to close the Guild of Sleeperes forum, which was due to inactivity because I'd look in day after day and literally no-one was posting. That is not what is happening here.

So in my opinion, this forum being archived, and then closed (ie no longer on the internet) is happeneing for other reasons, and I'd say Cyan want to move on to other projects.

This is not the end of this community, we can and will survive. If you haven't already, join Cyan's discord (see link in Tori's announcement post). If you don't want to or can't move to discord, then stay in contact with at least someone somehow.

This chapter may be closing, but we are only turning a page. The ending has not yet been written.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:09 am 
Obduction Backer

i understand why CYAN decided to close forums and it is sad. it really makes me sad to see them go.
but i understand their reasoning and motives.

for those interested, i welcome you to join our group on Facebook: ⚙️URU - MOULa, SHARDS and BEYOND⚙️ - https://www.facebook.com/groups/UruMoul ... AndBeyond/ - so we can continue our communication and discussions there.

the only thing i don't understand is how will someone create an account in order to play MOULa if all this disappears ? or is the PLAY page going to remain fully functional ? if not, how ? i hope it doesn't mean that people won't be able to create new accounts in the future. if so that would be the end of MOULa (i hope not)

UPDATE: i just heard from Ryan Warzecha who responded to me in the above mentioned group on Facebook. it seems that the PLAY page will remain functional :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:50 am 
Obduction Backer

adi wrote:
Cyan has been asking for years for people to spend their hard-earned money either on new releases of the same old games we've played before or overpriced and overhyped new games in hopes to re-establish themselves as a respected company in the gaming field, and people ALWAYS respond. Whenever Cyan says jump, people jump. And they jump as high as Cyan says, because Cyan says so. Whenever Cyan ~~~~~ up people don't say a thing. Because THEY appreciate and respect Cyan and support them whatever they do, because they genuinely love this community and they love to keep it alive.

+1 This; but now it belongs to past... For me.

(I tried to explain a "little" more my point of view on Myspedia Forums (in French).)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alien wrote:
OK, question to the community .... we have 6 months or less .... will wayback machine save this forum's pages for future viewing or do we need to take steps ourselves?

There are some guidelines here.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:52 pm 

Alien wrote:

We'll survive :)
This community even survived when the game itself was dead. A forum shutdown won't be the end of it, just another hit on its back.

It's not about being negative either. Everyone I talked to in private agreed that it was a ~~~~ move from Cyan's part.
Some of us have to be the rude ones and mention that in public, that's all. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:18 pm 

There is no real problem here, nor lack of respect IMHO. However, I agree it's a bit clumsy from Cyan to only mention Discord - just because they intend to provide support there, doesn't mean it has to be the only place for discussion. OpenUru is a viable alternative, doesn't compete with Discord, and Cyan doesn't need to be there for it to be somewhat "official".

I feel the mystonline.com forum should have a big disclaimer banner with a link to the announcement, though. People who seldom come to this forum and are looking for assistance to come back into the game may be confused by the lack of sign-up page and upcoming lack of sign-in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:58 pm 

Well... just a few thoughts on this, as long as we can still discuss this, here...

As I understand there was no alert in beforehand that this Forum will be soon closing down.
Not what I've heard, at least. It would have been nice if there had been some Info about it
a few months beforehand...?

As a co-arranger of some events, where a few have become annual events and other stuff
I think we lose an asset and a useful Bulletin Board we could always refer to, that could
provide brief or extensive Info. So thus this also feels rather unfair...

There are some 25 000 Topics here... Many obsolete or old. But many worth saving, I'd think.
About events, regular meetings, people, news... I'd hate to see all those bits of history being
erased...

I might be wrong, but the Wayback Machine saves one page at the time...? Not a whole topic
or big chunks of info from a database? If the former, we might be busy...

But yeah, I understand this is an old fashioned and outdated way to share Info and Cyan don't
want to have the burden of maintaining it... till it sooner or later falls apart anyways...

And I'd wish we had already a good option to look at before this is all gone and history... And I
don't count any chat forums, Skype or what ever as that good alternatives... But yeah, maybe
some Guild Forum, with a 'dedicated' MOULa section could be suited for that purpose...

/ Max

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next