It is currently Sun May 24, 2020 11:18 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:39 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
chucker wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
If you don't have an invitation and don't have a GameTap account, you can't get in. It's not open to the public without one of those things.

So, it's not open to people in non-GameTap countries.

It is if they have an invitation (from Cyan).

Well yes. Gotcha.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:42 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

It's more like ants to a picnic, Marten. Or bees tending their eggs and queen. There's no anger here. Have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:50 pm 

Exactly no anger or panic here just wanted to ask a couple of questions and post as much information as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

So this is about preview then? Because that's not exactly news.
If it's not preview, is it then for all who have access to Gametap? That would not be international users.
Unless Cyan is also sending out invites, and then it would be a proper open beta. I've seen nothing about that though.

Because, I didn't see the word open beta mentioned anywhere in that gametap thingy posted here....
So I'm just wondering what it is they are referring to, what's going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:22 pm 

Liath wrote:
So this is about preview then?

No, it's about the next step, "open beta", taking place between the 12th and 18th.

I've tried to summarize it at http://www.mystlore.com/wiki/Open_beta ; if something there is inaccurate, please let me know.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

chucker wrote:
Liath wrote:
So this is about preview then?

No, it's about the next step, "open beta", taking place between the 12th and 18th.

I've tried to summarize it at http://www.mystlore.com/wiki/Open_beta ; if something there is inaccurate, please let me know.

So, it's not international then. I wouldn't call it a proper open beta at all in that case, though it's nice enough to hear if you live anywhere where you can get GameTap.
However, all the people I game with, who aren't in preview, will still not be able to get to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post removed. Sneak peek is only US / Canada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:29 pm 

mystonline news page has been updated. It says myst online open beta will open on the 12th thru gametap. It also says US only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:13 am 

Where does it say that open beta will be US only? The only mention of countries I see is for the 99c deal Gametap has for a 1-month subscription.

I'm sure Cyan wants to include international players to be in the open beta. Don't get your knickers in a twist until Cyan says they can't be.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:24 am 
Creative Kingdoms

RAWA, over at the DRC site, has coined the term for this current beta in the following quote:

RAWA wrote:
...the "beta plan" became more complicated with the "Preview" and the "GameTap sneak peek", neither of which are "closed" because they don't require a signed NDA, but they aren't fully "open" either, so I guess they're best described as "ajar".

Chucker, please add "Ajar Beta" to the Wiki. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:38 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
Uru Live is still by invitation only.

On or about December 12, Uru Live will be released, as in "Go Live." I doubt this because the email says it is still beta. I think the email is to be believed. I think they really mean beta will be open to all GameTap members on December 12 without an official invitation. This isn't quite an open public beta. It's a closed public beta, though a bit more open than by invitation only. This is good way to ramp up load testing a bit more without swamping the servers with the general public. No Clerical Errors this time? ;)

Well anyone that can type 'GameTap' and 'beta' into Google can sign up as a GameTap beta tester. :? The beta tester accounts are free as long as one is seriously testing. :shock: Therefore I think it is pretty much open beta. May not be a well advertised beta, but anyone that finds out how to get to GameTap Beta should be able to get in. :D

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:09 am 
Obduction Backer

But, can you beta test GameTap even if you are in a country not served by it? If not... it's not "pretty much open beta" at all.

Let's go by RAWA's statement that this is not open beta, and relax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:12 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
RAWA, over at the DRC site, has coined the term for this current beta in the following quote:

RAWA wrote:
...the "beta plan" became more complicated with the "Preview" and the "GameTap sneak peek", neither of which are "closed" because they don't require a signed NDA, but they aren't fully "open" either, so I guess they're best described as "ajar".

Chucker, please add "Ajar Beta" to the Wiki. ;)

:D

Will do, I guess.

Talk about making pre-release tests extremely complicated. ;)

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:50 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
This isn't quite an open public beta. It's a closed public beta, though a bit more open than by invitation only.

I think you're being too strict in your definition. This is open Beta. Anyone who's in Gametap in the US (which'll be the requirements for MOUL when it goes Live with the exception of international players) can get into the Beta. We're no longer ajar, merely a group of those invited, we're open to anyone with a Gametap account, no invite needed. And I think this is about as open as we're going to get since the thing is roughly scheduled to launch at the end of the month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
This isn't quite an open public beta. It's a closed public beta, though a bit more open than by invitation only.

I think you're being too strict in your definition.

So, you're saying RAWA is too strict in his definition? Because JWPlatt is merely relying upon what RAWA said.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next