It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: wooo nice Eleri....
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:11 am 

I can see you worked real hard on this, Eleri :)

love it... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:08 am 

to bad I just found out about this friday. If I would of known 6 months ago, then maybe I could do something, but with only 3 days. not posible for me :( owell can't win them all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:21 am 
Obduction Backer

You have a whole month. The deadline is MARCH 26th

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:46 am 

It's late and I've been fiddling with this far too long. A new work in progress ... 8)

See the new work: click here.

enjoy the ride, earthwiz...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:49 am 

Tweek, I may want to enlist your aid on some making some images for the next DRC PSA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Apparently there were some problems with my image, so I'm re-posting it :)

To answer a question posed to me: The blue outline is supposed to be a glass semi-transparent border. I will have to add a thin black border around that I imagine. I also worry that there isn't enough going on, but I don't want to clutter it. In fact, I'd like for it to not be immediately recognizable as Tsogal until you are more familiar with the age, if you get my drift.

<cryptic>Someone said that they found the "secret" in the design, but they only found half of it...</cryptic>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:50 am 

Here's my effort so far. No colors yet. I realized after the fact that I may have laid my vectors too tightly, but I wanted every bit of detail in that fountain.

Also, the border is ripped from the floor of the link-in area via screenshot. Not sure if I like it that way, or if I should attempt to vector the pattern (which may prove tough, even with cut/paste/rotate which I used to get the ss there in the first place.

It's probably not too clear now, but I know where the colors are supposed to go, so I guess it's easy for me to see everything.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:00 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Aiden, I can see the point about making some parts (especially features like the fountain) very detailed, but your background (rock wall, sky) also consists of fairly small shapes, I would "calm" that by using bigger glass parts (=shapes) in that area, would make for nice harmonious contrast between detailed/complex and serene/simple. Could be that this is allready accomplished once colors are added (fewer colors in the wall/sky area), not sure.

[spoiler=about_The_Noble_Robots_design]As was pointed out before, the jagged "ring" represents the age, I'll explain further what I see: the inner outline follows the shape of the "floor" (like seen from above), the red, yellow and green parts represent the trees/nature up on top, and the little brown/dark red field on the right the Bahro Cave door.
Did I miss even more?
[/spoiler]

Last edited by ireenquench on Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:39 am 
Obduction Backer

ireenquench, you nailed it, and there is no more to it (yet?). I didn't expect it to be too difficult to find :wink:

My goal was to present it to people who hadn't yet visited the age. They would be able to appreciate it twice; first when they see it hanging above the linking book, and again when they notice those connections to the age... This serves the same function that the Gahraseen mural does, giving a general impression, but having further value upon experiencing the age.

My inclusion of *ahem* brings up, of course, the question of referencing the "journey" in the design, as it is generally assumed that the cloths and the bahro doors were added by Yeesha long after the D'ni fell. I hope that my inclusion is ambiguous and vague enough to not disqualify it, if Cyan is indeed using that standard.

I personally agree with that standard, but decided to make a tiny reference to it anyway, almost as foreshadowing perhaps?

I've loved so many of the other designs I've seen, also. It really shows what this community can put together on short notice.

Every one has been gushing over Tweeks design and with good reason, but aside from the crisp 3D style that he used, I'd like to compliment it's inclusion of all the immediately recognizable elements from an otherwise cookie-cutter age, and I really love the egg-agurated egg frame, very pleasing.

I think the only criticisms I'd offer to everyone, including Tweek's design (which is totally subjective and naturally biased toward my own design) is that I don't think Cyan is looking for "snapshots" of Tsogal in stain glass form. Too many of the designs look like KI photos that were then modified/traced/recreated in photoshop.

Understandably, we have very little else to go on, and at the risk of hurting my chances should Cyan read this thread, Tsogal is perhaps the most bland and boring age ever. It has almost no iconic imagery for us to use in what is literally an icon representing the age. Again, hat's off to Tweek for being the exception to this rule.

Also, stained glass art generally has an orthographic (flattened) look to it, and a few of the designs use a "realistic" 2 or 3-point perspective, which I think is too far outside of the style of the form.

Just as there are 2 Gahraseen murals (one designed by Cyan and one by the last contest winner) that alternate between hoods, I really hope that they pick 2 or more winners for this, and spread the designs around. Partially because it would give us all a better chance of winning, but also because I think that the more ways that we can have our hoods customized the better for the game. Plus, pretty much all of the designs posted so far would meet or come really close to meeting Uru design standards, so why not?

EDIT: Apparently there are more that 2 Gahreseen murals, and more than one contest winner, my bad. :)

Lastly, here's my question to end this post that is way too long: My design is essentially a crude map of the age. So, how did I do? Is there anything that is really far off? I didn't spend much time figuring this out, so I hope that it appears in-scale...

Last edited by The Noble Robot on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:59 am 

Quote:
Lastly, here's my question to end this post that is way too long: My design is essentially a crude map of the age. So, how did I do? Is there anything that is really far off? I didn't spend much time figuring this out, so I hope that it appears in-scale...

I haven't even begun my surveys of Tsogahl yet, but at-a-glance I'd say it's pretty accurate. Especially considering the stylistic way in which it's presented.

As for the screenshots--yeah, mine is vectored right over some composited screenies. I sat in Eder Tsogal for almost an hour trying to find something other than the fountain to make my centerpiece, but really it's either that or the Gazebo--and that wasn't too interesting looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:27 am 

Why is this not a stone mosaic project? Need to find some better mosaic tools...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Here is my project for moment :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:16 pm 

Aiden wrote:

Here's my effort so far. No colors yet. I realized after the fact that I may have laid my vectors too tightly, but I wanted every bit of detail in that fountain.

Also, the border is ripped from the floor of the link-in area via screenshot. Not sure if I like it that way, or if I should attempt to vector the pattern (which may prove tough, even with cut/paste/rotate which I used to get the ss there in the first place.

It's probably not too clear now, but I know where the colors are supposed to go, so I guess it's easy for me to see everything.

Thoughts?

:shock:

That's amazing!

I agree that it's a bit too detailed. The rock walls need to have fewer panes, but the fountain is a work of art! I can't wait to see it finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:37 pm 

Aiden wrote:
Here's my effort so far.

Wow. Fantastic work. My vector work isn't nearly as far along -- I can't believe how fast you guys are. Good thing we have a month!

I agree with Ireen. The wonderful detail in the foreground would be enhanced if the background was less "busy". As far as the border goes, it just seems too "heavy" for the piece. (I had been thinking about ways to incorporate that pattern in my own design, but have pretty much dropped the idea. It seems hard to find an appropriate way to include it.) However, if you want a vector version that may be good enough for an artistic representation, take a look at some of the fonts used for building celtic knot patterns. You might be able to assemble your own pattern that way without the difficulty of trying to vectorize that screen capture. Take a look at http://www.clanbadge.com/knots.htm, for example.

The Noble Robot wrote:
Also, stained glass art generally has an orthographic (flattened) look to it, and a few of the designs use a "realistic" 2 or 3-point perspective, which I think is too far outside of the style of the form.

I think that's true if you're speaking of medieval examples of the work, or modern recreations of that style. And the D'ni once did exhibit a lack of perspective in their stained glass, mosaics, and paintings. But, those are some of the oldest artworks in their culture, thousands of years before the fall. Thousands of years before the garden Ages were written, even. How do we know that their style didn't evolve later, as ours did? We haven't seen any examples of D'ni art from the Era of Lords. Many modern stained glass pieces do exhibit use of perspective, or use geometric abstract forms. (I saw a very interesting geometric cityscape interpretation the other day, while browsing stained glass examples on the Web. It might be fun to try a Tsogahl piece in that style.)

The Noble Robot wrote:
My design is essentially a crude map of the age. So, how did I do? Is there anything that is really far off?

I've already done some preliminary mapping work on Tsogahl, and I would say that your representation is pretty much on target. The alcove where the maintainer's marker is located may be a bit narrower and slanted back more towards the journey door, but I haven't done enough of a survey yet to prove that. Your outline is certainly recognizable as-is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:38 pm 

well I threw something together. I kinda like it. still messing with it, but heres my first draft.
[spoiler]

Image [/spoiler]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next