It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:22 pm 

This is an idea I had, like, two weeks ago. It has never been done yet - or so I'm told (please let me know if I'm wrong).

What I want to do is create a huuge archive of screenshots, ki-shots and all sorts of uru live related art and fanart. To do this, I'd put up a website, to which any Uru Live player would be able to upload his/her images (and keep full control over them).

Associated with each image would be the maximum possible amount of information related to it, including date/time of creation and of posting, the full hardware specs and Uru Live graphics settings of the poster (optionally saved with the poster's account in the site), detailed location info - Age name, location name, coordinates if it's in D'ni, and so on; a "category" describing what's being portrayed, such as "event", "personal", "DRC member visit", etc; customized tags, a description written by the user, possibly a system to allow other users to post comments, and finally a system to associate pictures with each other. Note that most of these attributes aren't mandatory, this list isn't extensive or definitive (I'm open to suggestions, this is still in the planning stage).

Users would be permitted to hotlink to these images from all major Uru Live related forums and websites - starting with this forum, but also the DRC site, uru obsession, the guild of greeters, and so on. This is similar to "free image hosting" services such as photobucket or imageshack, and a feature intended to encourage users to use this Uru Live specific service instead of a dozen of different image hosting services.

Now, the point of the whole thing :wink: My idea is for this to grow into a history in pictures of the progression of Uru Live since the creation of the service. Users won't be forced to delete pictures, so five years from now (and don't tell me Uru Live will no longer exist at the time, it will!) random bloke A can access the site, and ask for high resolution pictures of hide and seek in Xyz's Bevin between the second week of March and the third week of April of 2007, and, if random bloke B just happened to make those screenshots and kept them in the archive, they'll be there. Players who arrive late would be able to easily find good pictures - with detailed info assigned to them - of Nick White's visits to the cavern, or the day Douglas Sharper went mad and blew up the Negilahn pod. Wouldn't it be useful?

Now, time for all the bashing and what-a-stupid-and-useless-idea-telling ;) If you reply to this thread, please make sure you say whether you'll use this service, when (and if) it exists. Afterwards, if you don't feel like insulting me for my stupidity or lack of creativity, you can always suggest features, or offer to help me with this (I'll need plenty of help). And feel free to ask any questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:25 pm 

I suggest that you read a thread and Cyan's rules for screen shots before you start with your project.

D'ni Photo Club thread: http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8235

Cyan's legal guidelines about screen shots: http://www.cyanworlds.com/legal_guidelines.php

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:29 pm 

That was fast.

First let's see if people are actually INTERESTED in this; If they are, I'll ask for permission. If it's denied... Too bad! That's the end of it.

I just don't see why I should bother with legal issues and then find out that no one is going to use the service anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:41 pm 

This thread doesn't belong in this (Speculations and Suggestions) forum. I'm not speculating about the game nor do I have any suggestion for the game designers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sounds like a great idea!! If people would actually use it, it would become a great archive! I know I'd use it (providing I'd remember to).
Anansi wrote:
...random bloke B just happened to make those screenshots and kept them in the archive...

Just a small note... You say here that bloke B has to decide to keep them in the archive or not... I say all images should be kept, otherwise the archive might shrink...

Also, do you have the programming skills for all of this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:51 pm 

You don't understand - all images will be kept, but there's always the possibility that NO ONE will upload images of a specific event to the archive :P That's why I want to make its usage widespread :) By "kept them in the archive" I mean he used the archive, instead of... well... not using it!

I do have the required skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:37 am 

Love the idea and will help with it if I can. Let me know if there is anything I can do. And also why don't you have a section to put Chatlogs and whatnot. That would make it a one stop spot for history of gameplay.
If I can help PM me, IM me or whatnot. (contact info except E-mail is in sig)