It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:50 am 

This thread has been setup to provide a central hub for all Uru Live for Mac discussions. It has been asked that this thread be kept on topic as much as possible as it will be a major source of information for the Mac Myst Community.

As a first order of business for our new thread, I'd like to go ahead and announce that we now officially have our system requirements for URU Live on the Mac!

Mac Requirements:

Supported OS: Mac OSX 10.4.8
Processor: 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo Processor
Please note that only Macs with Intel processors are currently supported.
RAM: 512 MB or more
Video Card: ATI or NVIDIA graphics chipsets
Please note that video cards must be PCI express and have 128 MB or more memory. The GMA 950 integrated graphics card is not currently supported.
Hard Drive Space: 3+ GB free
Internet Connection: Broadband
Display: 800 by 600 32 bit display

CURRENT MAC DISCUSSIONS:

Hello, I'm a Mac.... - current OS discussion

Last edited by Rhylin E on Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:00 pm 

it's sad that I still get left out, I have a brand new mac but my video card and processor speed are not compatible. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Machine Name: Mac mini
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.66 GHz
Memory: 512 MB

Intel GMA 950:
Chipset Model: GMA 950
Type: Display
Bus: Built-In

KI # 02256515

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

I would suggest trying it anyway, sign up to the Visitor account and see if it works, that why you don't have to worry about feeling like you've lost $10 in an experiment.

Back the first time (in 2003) around they said broadband only and I beta tested on dial up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

The question is, who meets all these specs but still has a 800x600 display?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:44 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Hi, Everyone. I'm just popping in here to reiterate what Rhylin E said in the first post....

This will be a central hub for information/discussions. We will be listing links to all MAC topics that are in these forums, but we ask that you keep your discussions confined to the threads that they pertain to. So, in light of this , I'll ask that any further discussion on system requirements be
This Thread. I'll also put this link in the original post.

Also, if anyone finds any Mac discussions that should be listed here, please let us know and it will be added. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Is there a release date on the mac version yet?
I've been looking all over (allmost..)
I did not found a release date and som posts sound like its allready there. Am I blind? or where do you get it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:26 am 
Obduction Backer

Whitch2, is there any particular reason that the Mac platform is being regulated in this fashion? I mean, you can expect there to be just as many problems with the game on the Mac as there are on the PC, so why bother to keep it in one place? By the way, that so called "system requirement" thread is roughly two-thirds mac bashing and misinformation. If anything, Mac Tech Support should get its own forum, if only to keep things sane!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:45 am 

MOUL won't run on PPC based Macs for technical reasons. I tried to explain them http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... 575#122575

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:58 am 
Obduction Backer

woxel1 wrote:
Whitch2, is there any particular reason that the Mac platform is being regulated in this fashion? I mean, you can expect there to be just as many problems with the game on the Mac as there are on the PC, so why bother to keep it in one place? By the way, that so called "system requirement" thread is roughly two-thirds mac bashing and misinformation. If anything, Mac Tech Support should get its own forum, if only to keep things sane!

A few points, if I may...

First off, I've moderated and participated in tech support forums for every other Myst game, and in no case has a separate Mac support forum been necessary. Mac and PC help topics can and do co-exist side by side without tearing a hole in space-time ;). There are occasionally points of confusion when all that gets posted is "HALP THE GAME WON"T RNU!", but by and large, things are always pretty well understood, and as time goes on, invariably a few Mac and PC gearheads tend to crop up as go-to guys on the forum.

Also, We're not making an effort to marginalize or regulate conversation about the Mac platform using this topic. I'm on a Mac right now (albeit a PPC), and I don't think I'd stand for it :). This is simply a prominent informational topic for those Mac users who have heard that the game will be available, and have come looking for information (in lieu of finding the actual client), since the Mac client is not presently available to those outside the Mac beta test, and they obviously can't talk publicly about what's going on. Links are being provided to current Mac-related discussions as a service, since they obviously make up a remarkably tiny percentage of the total forum, and finding them could prove to be a pain. When the official client is released, I'd expect Mac tech conversations and Mac-related discussions in general to crop up a bit more frequently, but I think creating a separate forum for Mac tech support or conversation would be an even greater marginalization. Once things get rolling for the Mac, I don't expect we'll be using this topic quite as extensively, but a sticky, or a topic in the Resources forum with links to helpful Mac-related threads will probably be put together and maintained for newcomers seeking help quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:41 am 
Obduction Backer

So it's a sticky thread for people lacking knowledge asking people who are withholding information. Gotcha 8)

EDIT: And I can't wait for this PPC to mysteriously break. I need my URU, bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 pm 

woxel1 wrote:
So it's a sticky thread for people lacking knowledge asking people who are withholding information. Gotcha 8)

Uhmmm....No. It's a thread that was suggested by a Mac user to help fellow Mac users locate discussions that are Mac specific. Threads which can easily become buried in a forum which contains primarily PC specific topics.

A simpler version? A Mac user asked me if I could help make it easier for other Mac users and I said "Sure! Why not?"

Sorry to burst the conspiracy bubble here. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:16 pm 

Just as a note, Blizzard has a seperate Mac technical support forum for World of Warcraft, though their user base is obviously considerably larger. There are enough differences in user base, people who can help, client differences, platform differences, etc. that it does seem to make sense and seems to work very well.

I'm also not sure why this particular thread is in "General" when something like "Uru on Vista" thread is in the "Technical" one =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:35 pm 

As the Mac user who suggested this thread, I have to ask why everyone really cares so much about this particular thread being created and stickyed. These moot discussions about "marginalization" or "platform favoritism" have thrown the purpose and the spirit for which the thread was created way off course, and I personally, not simply as the one who suggested the thread, but as a Mac user do not appreciate it.

This thread was created in order to make it easier for the "minority" of Myst Online players that are and will be playing on the Mac! If you are a PC player then there is no reason to even be worrying about this particular thread.

This thread was made for a purpose, to serve the Mac community and get the information to the people that need it, not for any odd person to come in and give their $0.02 about why the post was created to begin with!

Last edited by Rhylin E on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:26 pm 

From what I am understanding here is that this is not a technical discussion thread, but a general information thread for Mac users regarding topics found throughout the forums. This takes away the hassle of searching around for any information that may be of interest to Mac Users.

Am I correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:33 pm 

Yes, you are correct. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next